Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fellow Pentaxians,

Thanks for all the feedback.

speaking about the light metering. I understand that it can meter in very dim / low light, which even modern DSLR will struggle. Can somebody kindly comment on this topic. What does all these means, especially when most ppl do not shoot in such conditions. Thanks in advance.

12-17-2010, 01:58 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Both the LX & ME Super are great cameras. However, the ME Super doesn't stand up as well to heavy service. I wore out the wind mechanism on mine after a couple of years. My LX has never needed any service. Also the power wider for the ME Super was not consistent. Both my wife and I had this problem and never knew if ours would work right. It has no power rewind, but the LX does. The power wider on the LX always performs flawlessly.

The LX is a system camera with a lot of flexibility with various finders, screens and backs. Its TTL flash performance is excellent. The only drawback with the LX is the sticky mirror, which seems to improve with regular use.

As mentioned, the metering system on the LX has a far greater range and seems to deliver more consistent slide film results than the ME Super.

To summarize, the ME Super is a wonderful little camera, but not made to last or resist the elements like the LX.
12-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I started my photographic career with an ME Super, and now have three of them and an LX (and a few other film cameras ). The LX is clearly a much higher spec camera with all the extra bells and whistles. The biggest plus point, especially if you shoot slides, is the more accurate "off the film" metering. Mostly I take photos for fun and will use anything from my H2 to my Z10 if I want to use film, but if I really need to be sure all will be well, the LX gets the call.

K.
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM   #19

The finder of the LX is really bright. The multi-coated mirror and improved focusing screens give it a leg up over the MX, despite the lower magnification. Built-in diopter adjustment is a plus for photographers over 45 years old. (Presbyopia.)

04-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ME is a consumer body with simple aperture priority exposure

The LX is a pro camera system with interchangeable prisim housings , spot metering motor drive options and a whole host of features

It's like comparing apples to oranges
04-01-2011, 05:22 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The ME is a consumer body with simple aperture priority exposure

The LX is a pro camera system with interchangeable prisim housings , spot metering motor drive options and a whole host of features

It's like comparing apples to oranges
The LX did not have a spot meter, center weight only, and it had aperture priority and manual exposure only. It pre-dates the A series so it is unable to set aperture from the body.

What it does feature is the interchangeable prism, interchangeable back, weather sealing, mirror lock up, and motor drive option. The ME Super only has a winder option.
04-01-2011, 05:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It pre-dates the A series so it is unable to set aperture from the body.
I've always wondered why that was never added. It seems that would just be a matter of a few contacts and a chip.
04-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter

They should have made an LX-A.

04-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Could it be argued that the LX has a "better" or "more convenient" metering?
Definitely - at least when used in Auto (Av) mode, because then metering is TTL-off-the-film. Wonderful for very long shots. For instance: Start an exposure in a dark place, run around with a flash or a flashlight, when the LX has metered enough light, it stops the exposure.

That being said, both our (my wife's and the one I've inherited from my father) ME Supers are in better shape than my LX although the never have been serviced (but the LX has been much heavier used), and honestly, I can't really honestly count that many shots taken with the LX where I wouldn't have gotten the same shot with one of the ME Supers. So the ME Super is much more value for money.
04-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
because then metering is TTL-off-the-film.
This is the HUGE functional difference...

Steve
04-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
My K10d always feels very old fashioned in situations where the LX's metering would have been handy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use ttl flash with the LX for years, since the pentax adapter for my Metz flash broke
04-01-2011, 07:57 AM   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
yep . . . The other difference between the ME Super and LX other than functionality of the LX is about $400. :Hysterical:
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The LX did not have a spot meter, center weight only, and it had aperture priority and manual exposure only. It pre-dates the A series so it is unable to set aperture from the body.

What it does feature is the interchangeable prism, interchangeable back, weather sealing, mirror lock up, and motor drive option. The ME Super only has a winder option.
Not quite, its metering was about a 7 % of the frame from what I remember, not a center weighted average like the consumer cameras. I agree it was not a true spot but it was a lot tighter than consumer cameras.