Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Help for ex-Canon user

Hello,

I'm new to Pentax and to these forums. I am trying to find out what would be a good film camera to go with my new K-5. I still love using film and the old heavy 35mm cameras of days gone by.

I plan on buying mostly older manual(prime) lenses except maybe two of the newer WR models. What older SLR models would go good with the K-5 so that I can maximize lens use between the 2?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

12-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With one or two exceptions, all K mount glass fits all K mount cameras. This isn't nikon, there isn't any auto-indexing buffoonery. The real question is if you want something old and mechanical like the KX or K1000, or something with some automation like the Super Program or K2. Some of the 90's models are supposed to be good and cheap, but I've not handled them personally so I won't comment on them.
Basically, if you give a few more details than "An old 35mm camera" you'll get more focused responses. I'm reasonably sure the entire film forum likes old 35mm equipment, but it's hard to make a recommendation without knowing if you want fully manual, aperture priority, autoexposure, etc.
12-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you want an autofocus film camera or the good-old manual focus metal cameras? Also what is your budget?

If you want autofocus I'm not much help as I've never owned an AF Pentax film camera (although if I were to buy one it would probably be the *ist or MZ-S).

I currently own and use a KM, K2 DMD, two K1000s (my first Pentax and a brown SE), MX, ME Super, Super Program and LX. I've also owned a K2 and S3. My favorite (besides the K1000) is the K2 DMD and the MX. The MX is all manual and a nice small camera that's a joy to use. The K2s also have an Automatic exposure setting on the dial. But I'd also suggest the Super Program. This has manual and automatic modes and I believe this was Pentax's first camera for A lenses, which can be used in AE and Tv modes.

Take a look at the list of cameras here for more info. to help you decide: Pentax Camera Reviews - Pentax K-R, Pentax K-5, K-x, K-7, and 645D DSLRs - PentaxForums.com
12-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's more than a few of us Canon FD holdouts who've connected up with Pentax for digital.

Good film bodies from that perspective are like KMs, (kind of like FTbs with a couple of old-F-1 features,) Super Programs (the A-1's opposite number complete with 'Why did you replace shutter speed dials with something more complicated? Why?' )
LXes of course, (There's yer F-1N right there, more or less) ....and you can do film autofocus with like yer Z-1Ps and a whole bunch of other things. (I've got a ZX-5 for teeny lightness and normal controls. )

MX'es are pretty nice for teeny and mechanical, no particular Canon equivalent, too.

12-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #5

The Super Program would be a good film camera to try. It has manual ISO setting if you want to push film, DOF preview, nice viewfinder and can use your 18-55mm DA kit lens from about 24mm on.
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I came to Pentax 3 years ago from a Minolta film camera background and really knew nothing of Pentax film gear. Last year I picked up a used PZ-1p which, I must say, is in many ways similar to my K10 and K20 in handling. I'd check one of those out.
12-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, I should have at least mentioned what I am trying to replace.

My old Canon film camera's were a QT FL manual and an EOS 1N auto. I really like the build and heft of the 1N (kind of tank like).

Since I would be able to use all the Pentax lenses auto and manual aren't really an issue. Maybe one with both would be best if it also is a good quality build.

12-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

You'll find all Pentax cameras listed here, including reviews in many cases:

Pentax Camera Reviews - Pentax K-R, Pentax K-5, K-x, K-7, and 645D DSLRs - PentaxForums.com
12-16-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax never really made a camera like the EOS1-n. The closest would be the either the PZ-1p
, or the MZ-S.

The MZ-S is a newer and more advanced camera then teh Pz-1P, but it is also a great deal more expensive.

The build, handling, and the autofocus on the EOS-1n really leaves the Pentax film cameras of the era in the dust.

In my opinion, the really great Pentax film cameras were:

LX, ME super, KX, K1000, Spotmatic, and MX. Not listed in any order.

I had an EOS1-n, then I picked up a Pz-1p, then a bought a Nikon F100. The F100 is by far the top dog of the three. the only thing the 1n had over the F100 was the 100% viewfinder, and the built in shutter blind.

I sold the 1n, couldn't sell the PZ-1p, and use the F100. One day I might get myself a MZ-s, but for what they are, they are just too expensive.