Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Acquired a broken K1000- help?

I bought a broken K1000. It was attached to a perfect Pentax A 50mm f2.0. The lens is great.

I would like to maybe fix the K1000, if I can do it myself. The seller said it used it work great, but then the shutter got stuck. You cannot even see anything through the viewfinder. The mirror is in the up position.

I tried finding the manual online, but to no avail. Any pointers on that would be great.

Or if anyone knows what this may be...

thanks.

slinky

12-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a good chance that all that's happened is that sticky mirror foam (sometimes it deteriorates) has stuck the mirror in the up position. There ought to be a thread or two on it around here. The only issue is that the surface of the mirror is where the silvering is, so it's delicate. No touchey.
12-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think it may be the shutter. The mirror will move down but it pops right back up. Seems like then shutter is stuck halfway through a click.

Any online help for tearing one of these down?
12-17-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

you might try googling 'locked shutter K1000 pentax'

12-17-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Having nothing to lose, I broke out the tiny screwdrivers and pliers. There was a piece that had gotten warped somehow. It didn't click forward to drop the mirror again. I applied the right amount of plier force, and reassembled. Seems to be working now. Will run a roll of film through to see for sure.
12-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here's where you can get a decent scan of the K1000 manual: Pentax Manuals, the password to open the PDF is "Pentax" with a capital P.

Here's where you'll find the K1000 service manual: Pentax Manuals

If typing the password to open the manual drives you crazy like it does me, you can find the K1000 manual here too (scroll down), without a password: Free Camera Instruction User Manuals! $5.95 Repair Manuals!
12-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried a roll of film... but either I didn't load it right or it won't advance the film...

I tried to develop a roll with no pictures on it. Oops. Lady asked me if I wanted the exposed film back... Um.. no.

Will try again. I am out of practice loading film.
12-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote
I tried a roll of film... but either I didn't load it right or it won't advance the film...

I tried to develop a roll with no pictures on it. Oops. Lady asked me if I wanted the exposed film back... Um.. no.

Will try again. I am out of practice loading film.
Pull enough film out of the cannister to reach the takeup spool. Make sure that the leader is pushed all the way through the slots in the spool. Advance the film one frame BEFORE closing the back to make sure that it is feeding properly and hasn't popped off the takeup spool.

With the back closed and a lens cap on, fire off three shots to bring fresh, unexposed film into position.

One advantage of a manual advance camera, like the K1000, is that there is a visible rewind crank. When I start a roll, I like to take up the slack on the rewind crank by gently rewinding (do NOT push the rewind button on the bottom of the camera) until I feel resistance. Then, while shooting, watch the rewind crank as you advance the film. The crank should turn, as the film is pulled out of the cannister. If it doesn't turn after a couple of shots, it probably isn't feeding properly.

Paul Noble

12-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I finally got some film developed with actual pictures on it. =)

I was surprised how much shooting a DSLR helped me not make horrible mistakes in film. I did make mistakes, but I knew it and fixed some of them. I really thought about half the pictures would be unusable, but really only 3 or 4 were too bad off. This was cheap, kodak 200 speed film. I mainly used a SMC M 50mm f1.7, but I did switch out with my Vivitar 35-75mm some. I tried one with my Zenitar Fisheye, but it didn't turn out.

There is something in the bottom left of every image. Must be in the camera, because it didn't follow the lens.

Here's is the best one:

A snapshot

Playing with DOF.

mediaslinky, on Flickr