Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which models use the lens to control aperture?

I'm looking for an AF film body to use, but here's the thing: I already have a ZX-30 (broken), and as much as I like(d) it I really can't stand using that little switch on the camera body to control the aperture. My fingers are much more comfortable manipulating an aperture ring. So with which AF bodies (preferably in the ZX/MZ line) can I control aperture with the lens? I've scoured the innernets and can't find that info anywhere.

Oh, and if you know which might have an actual pentaprism (rather than a penta-mirror) that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

09-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure I get the question. Any lens with an aperture ring is controlled by the lens. As soon as you turn the aperture ring away from the "A" setting, you set the aperture you want. The only lenses that don't have that are the FA J and DA versions since they have no ring. So this will go back to the earliest AF lenses and if you don't need or want AF then lenses from the late 50's on work that way.
09-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe I should have said "set" rather than "control". Rather than setting the aperture using a dial on the camera body (with the aperture ring set to "A"), I want an AF camera body where you can still set the aperture using the aperture ring. That's all I meant.
09-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can check here: every body without "crippled" mount would be fine.
Pentax MZ/ZX-Series Film Bodies
Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

09-30-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

The ZX-5n would be my recommendation, it has a classic layout of the controls - shutter speeds and EV compensation dials on the top plate, and the aperture is controlled on the lens.
09-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

There are a ton (or perhaps in the electronic terminology a Gigabyte) of similar threads. i.e. the best, most versitile, useable etc... autofocus film camera.

They mostly seem to come to the same conclusion, or perhaps it is just because so many of us have one.

I would suggest the PZ-1 or PZ-1p.

It is a full sized film slr with a good autofocus, can work in full manual, and apature priority modes with manual apature lenses, or electronic apature lenses. So if you want to take your camera out of automatic mode and turn the apature ring go right ahead. Also there are convenient thumb wheels (one in front, one in back) that can control shutter and apature electronically as well. These may convince you to stop twisting the apature ring all toghether.

All controls, and functions are laid out very similar to the K10D and *istD, making it the film equivelent of the High end amature digital cameras.
09-30-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I would totally agree with Lowell. When I got my K10D it was like revisiting an old friend. The PZ-1 or Pz-1p were both excellent cameras for many reasons and could compete with anything on the market at the time or even today. Once you master the controls and set the camera up to your liking it is a great camera. Given that when new they were $1000, it is a steal at $100-150 these days on Ebay.

As Lowell mentioned there are independant control wheels that will allow you to make the shutter and aperture adjustments without taking your eye off the veiwfinder. It's much faster to set up a shot and if you are shooting moving objects you will wonder why you did it the 'old way'.

If you choose either camera, make sure you get a manual. You can download it online but a printed version is a must in my opinion. These are not your average P&S cameras!