Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Spotmatic F issue with light meter

I recently loaded my Spotmatic F with kodak 400 film and now no matter the conditions my light meter stays in the middle. it was working properly the last time i used it and now i dont know whats wrong. is my meter broken? & the battery is only 6 months old

12-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #2

The meter of my SPF stopped working in the same way, and I had spare batteries to test it. There is nothing left to be done for you. You will have it repaired or you have to use a handheld meter instead. The light meter is the only part that was broken in various Spotmatics and Pentax KM and K1000 I have seen - maybe the electronics of these cameras did not survive fourty years as well as the mechanics.
12-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #3

Hi LosHollyBeach,

2 things:

1: Take off your lens and then re-seat it back on; now check your meter
2: What battery are you using?

Alistair
12-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LosHollyBeach Quote
I recently loaded my Spotmatic F with kodak 400 film and now no matter the conditions my light meter stays in the middle. it was working properly the last time i used it and now i dont know whats wrong. is my meter broken? & the battery is only 6 months old

Do you have and use a lens cap? The meter on the Spotmatic F is always on. The lens cap is essential to prevent battery drain.

Also, the Wein zinc-air batteries are known to have a relatively short life.

12-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Do you have and use a lens cap? The meter on the Spotmatic F is always on. The lens cap is essential to prevent battery drain.

Also, the Wein zinc-air batteries are known to have a relatively short life.
You can also set the shutter speed to Bulb to turn the meter off but I still place lens caps on my lenses when not in use.

If the battery is okay and the meter has failed, and it would stay in the middle if it has failed, this is a great opportunity to get to know Sunny-16. Heck, my dad shot Kodachrome during the 1950s with nothing more than the Sunny-16 cards Kodak included with their cameras and he had excellent luck with his slides.

If you're truly dedicated there is always the Zone System.
12-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it was working the last time maybe is just something simple.
- Try cleaning the contacts with the rubber eraser at the end of a pencil
- Try a new battery, does the F work fine with silver oxides?
- Are you measuring stoped down? or using a non-SMC lens fully opened?
check if any of those help
QuoteOriginally posted by LosHollyBeach Quote
12-30-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
this is a great opportunity to get to know Sunny-16
LOL! Good point.

12-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you like your SP-F Eric Hendrickson can repair the exposure meter.

Link: Pentax camera repair by Eric Hendrickson

Chris