Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good adhesive to reapply leatherette?

I was given an old K1000 and the leatherette is peeling a bit. What is a good adhesive to re apply it?
Also, the rubber grip on the focus ring of the M 50/2 that came with the cameraa is loose. What would be a good adhesive for that?

Thanks in advance,

01-02-2011, 02:53 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I was given an old K1000 and the leatherette is peeling a bit. What is a good adhesive to re apply it?
Also, the rubber grip on the focus ring of the M 50/2 that came with the cameraa is loose. What would be a good adhesive for that?

Thanks in advance,
There is a product called Pliobond that is the general solution to both. It is available from micro-tools.com and at some hardware stores.

Steve
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pliobond is best. It holds very well yet covering can be removed intact if necessary in future.

Chris
01-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Awesome Chris and Steve, thanks for the quick replies.

01-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...OR...

If the camera is mechanically sound and otherwise clean...

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's

Steve
01-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...OR...

If the camera is mechanically sound and otherwise clean...

Cameraleather - leather kits for Pentax SLR's

Steve
Those are pretty sweet. If I was gonna do that I would rather do it to my K2 or SP-F.
The leatherette on the K1000 is in quite good shape, just coming of at the corners.
04-25-2021, 07:24 PM   #7

Thanks, guys. I’ll try to find Pliobond for the rubber focus grip ring on my 28mm f2.8 M lens in the hardware stores in my area. But, is there another alternative more available for rubber focus grip rings?

04-26-2021, 04:53 AM   #8
dlhawes

"Goop" is pretty good at that sort of thing as well. Both Pliobond and Goop will make a big mess if you're not really careful - I'd apply the adhesive with a toothpick, but work fast, as you don't get much time before either one will skin over right quick.
04-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Rubber rings on lenses usually become loose when they have stretched.

The easiest way to overcome this is with double sided adhesive tape, this not only holds the ring in place but helps to take up some of the space.
Apply the tape to the lens and then fit the ring over it.
04-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I used the rubber solution glue out of my bicycle puncture repair kit to put the leatherette back on my Yashica Minister II. It's still intact so I assume it did the job satisfactorily. Also good for patching washing machine seals but that's another story...
05-01-2021, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
"Goop" is pretty good at that sort of thing as well. Both Pliobond and Goop will make a big mess if you're not really careful - I'd apply the adhesive with a toothpick, but work fast, as you don't get much time before either one will skin over right quick.
With Pliobond you are meant to apply to both surfaces and let dry before attaching.

I just reattached the 'leather' on my Minolta Prod 20S with it. Works perfectly.
05-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always use double sided tape. Some versions are very thin and less suitable for surfaces that are not perfectly smooth. But other tapes, as used for mounting carpets, are thicker and they stick like hell. Double sided tape has also the advantage that you can easily redo the job if the leatherette is not perfectly fitted.