Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

That'll teach me!

I've recently bought a load of expired B&W film from another photographer locally. She said that it had always been refrigerated and I think most of it should be fine but there was a few rolls of Delta 3200 which expired in 2007. Being high ISO, the risk of this being fogged is high so for the past week or so I've been shooting a test roll in my ME Super. I went out today to shoot off the last few frames but it carried on winding after frame 36. Not to worry, I often get an extra couple of frames out of a 36 roll.

By frame 40, I was getting that sinking feeling. I opened the back and discovered that the leader had come off the take-up spool and hadn't been advancing at all. Its all my fault because when I load a new film, I close the back as soon as I think the film has engaged because it means I get at least one extra frame out of the roll. I think in future I will have to advance it another frame before shutting the door, just to be sure its engaged on the spool properly.

I did manage to reload the offending film and after clicking through the first 4 frames, I went into town and shot the remainder of the roll. Lets hope it was worth it and the film isn't fogged When I develop it tonight.

01-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah...the joys of film...remembered. Been there done that, too many times.
01-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just don't flat-out forget to load the film in the first place.

"These call lilies are perfect. I can't wait to photograph them," says I.

Fifteen minutes later: "D'OH!"
01-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The ME Super has a little window with orange bars that move back and forth when film is winding. If it's not moving, neither is the film! File that to avoid future frustration!

01-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not familiar with your camera but on my X700 I always checked if the rewind lever was moving while transporting the first time after closing the back.
01-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you have loaded it correctly the rewind lever will turn as you advance the film. I always used to check as occasionally I nearly did what you did....
01-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Been there, done that, my condolences.
01-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
The ME Super has a little window with orange bars that move back and forth when film is winding. If it's not moving, neither is the film! File that to avoid future frustration!
Yeah I know. The thing is.... when you have never had any problems, you don't check it regularly. I will now though

01-03-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Been there, done that, my condolences.
Thanks. It was only a test roll so nothing really important lost. A good wakeup call really.
01-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Little vibratey window or not, always check for tension on the rewind spool before you consider yourself loaded. Then you know. Period.

One thing that gives me fits about my ZX-5. You put film in, no way of knowing for sure if it worked. Rewind spool means you can know.
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

When I read the first post I thought it was going to be a "So the film ripped out of the canister, I opened the back, and HORROR, 5 feet of exposed film leaped out at me!".
But I digress. I've done this too. And I did it at a more crucial time. I was in an accident, and grabbed my trusty ricoh to photograph the scene. (The other driver's face, on seeing me photographing the scene with a REAL CAMERA and not a cell phone, was priceless.) Anyways, when I hit frame 37 on a 24-exposure roll, I knew the score. I opened the back... and the film was sitting there, leader just off the take-up spool. I facepalmed so hard.

We've all done it. It sucks, but you aren't alone.
01-06-2011, 01:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

At least you could load again and take the photos you needed!
01-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
One thing that gives me fits about my ZX-5. You put film in, no way of knowing for sure if it worked. Rewind spool means you can know.
I know I say 5 hail Marry's and 2 Our Fathers every time I load a roll.
01-08-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
Banned

I have never loaded film improperly, or at all. even in a rush. though I have plenty of time to make such a mistake I guess.
01-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #15

Having done this a couple of times during this last year I feel for ya. I just have to learn to slow down and be sure.