Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

35mm film wholesale

Hello! Im taking a few classes that require me to shoot 35mm film both b&w and color. i wanted to know is there a film wholesale dealer in the los angeles area? because 5-7per roll x 20-25 rolls per class is getting pretty expensive for my college student budget.

01-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your best value is probably bulk purchase in the 100' roll from Freestyle. They have several low-cost options that are actually made by well-known manufacturers in the U.S., Japan, and the Czech Republic. I currently have a 100' roll of Legacy Pro 100 (made in Japan) that I paid less than $25 for. Their main store is on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood.
Freestyle Photographic Supplies - Traditional Black & White Film, Paper, Chemicals, Holgas and ULF

Steve
01-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Inactive Account

And just FYI, Legacy Pro is Fuji Neopan, in all but edge markings.
01-04-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
check this too..

35mm x 100 Ft. Films for Reloading - Bulk Film Loading Supplies

01-04-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
And just FYI, Legacy Pro is Fuji Neopan, in all but edge markings.
Well, if we are going to totally spill the beans, it is better than that...Fuji Neopan Acros, to be more exact. I sort of hesitate to broadcast that though. No sense giving Fuji an excuse to quit their relationship with Freestyle. Legacy Pro is one of the best film values on the planet.

Steve
01-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, if we are going to totally spill the beans, it is better than that...Fuji Neopan Acros, to be more exact. I sort of hesitate to broadcast that though. No sense giving Fuji an excuse to quit their relationship with Freestyle. Legacy Pro is one of the best film values on the planet.
Acros, or SS?

There's talk of it being discontinued. A few online stores here have stopped stocking it, and I think Freestyle is cleaning out its last few rolls. If so, that sucks, because it's the only way to get Neopan in bulk.
01-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I too have heard that the 100 is Acros, not SS, which I would have preferred.

I did buy some of the LegacyPro 400, for the excellent price.
Also it was available in 24 exposure rolls (unlike Fuji), which I prefer.

Chris
01-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll second what the others say here and recommend getting a bulk film loader and using 100 feet (for the modern part of mankind...30m) film. I've currently have a roll of Ilfords BW C-41 film in one of my bulk loaders. In the good old days I used to have TMax-100/Plus-X and TMax-400/Tri-x in my pair of loaders.

01-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Although, these private label films from Freestyle are pretty cheap even when sold in canisters...
Arista Premium = Kodak - the 100 is Plus X, the 400 is Tri-X
Legacy Pro as mentioned above is Fuji Neopan
Arista Edu = Foma
--
Kentmere is made by Ilford, and may be worth trying though it's more expensive than the Arista/Legacy stuff.
01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can vouch for kentmere. It's not an ilford emulsion, but it's up to their standards for QC. The 100 is a very good film, and because of the price, is my "go-to" film. The 400, while still a good film, can be a bit grainy. Still, it's a very consistent grain, after a few rolls you know precisely how it's going to behave in regards to grain. It also flies onto the reels, which is nice when you're working in the dark.
(Fomapan is my favourite B&W film, but it can be an absolutely titanic task to get a 36-exposure roll, leader et al, onto the reals. Although I should mention I shoot frame X through 37-38, and don't cut at either end)

Foma is more expensive, but still not too bad. It's also a wonderful film. I would buy some Foma, some Kentmere, and some legacy pro and try them before buying in bulk.

And, FWIW, Kentmere is cheaper from B&H. Not vastly cheaper, but if you were buying enough it might add up.
01-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to go against the grain on this one. Yes, I bulk load, but I do it only when I get a killer deal on a 100 foot roll. For example, last year I picked up two 100 foot rolls of just-expired Efke 50 for $20 each, when a single 36 exposure roll normally goes for ~$5. The Arista Premium sells for ~$2.25 a roll in 36 exposure. After buying the empty cassetes to load the film into you might even lose money on the deal, and that is if you do it without a bulk loader. Where in the LA area are you? If you decide to bulk load I have a loader you can have. I prefer to load film manually.

You should also check with your instructor. Freestyle has a program for free shipping to students, but your instructor has to do a one time setup.