Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When things go wrong (It hurts me too)

I'm thinking of the Ellmore James version of the tune...

Anyway, an example of things gone wrong in so many directions... Kids, don't try this at home - it takes someone with long experience and college-level training in b&w photography to achieve these results

So What's Wrong With This Picture?

1) MX shutter hangs in the cold. Actually I've noted a pattern, I think maybe Pentax when they went miniature lost a bunch of reliability. Those tiny cameras break, drag, and really need CLAs by now. E.g. Nikon or even Fuji, if the Fuji has survived till now, are still clicking, while the Pentax is going to Eric.

2) Idiot photographer believes MX light meter in the cold - maybe because of the very pretty light show it puts on. I had moments where I was thinking, "Oh boy, there's more light than I thought!" as the ever colder batteries seemed to make the meter read faster.... Goes to show, I do throw away my common sense when offered a crutch in the form of a built in meter.

3) Foma 400 is slow, very slow, a sloth of a ISO 400, more like 160, in D-76 or Xtol anyway. And did I mention grainy and noisy? Yet cheap me thought, Let's try some fresh dated stuff (my first batch was recently expired) to see if it's better. Nope. I mean, when there's enough exposure it does give an old fashioned look, but there are better films to be had. I'm feeling bad I gave my daughter a roll to shoot when we went to the Met.

4) and scratches easy, does Foma 400. I'm hoping it's the Foma and not the newly acquired MX that does this.

5) and the scanner when pushed is very noisy and adds its own lines - Epson 4490 - and just about any scanner - likes some density in the negative. Too thin, and you see every blemish and water spot and scratch on the film AND the scanner noise and those lines that are dust on the top light...

01-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quit your nit-picking

Otherwise, it's a very nice photo.
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The scratches are bad, but the picture is OK

IMHO Foma400 is a decent film, and in Xtol should be closer to 400 than in D76
With AM74 (Amaloco) it works fine as 400.
01-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Kind of you but the whole section of film from my walk in Chinatown is unusable - well under exposed and where I can recover an image it is always darker to the left and brighter to the right - i.e. something wrong with the shutter timing. I was shooting at 1/500 and actually the apertures weren't too far off at all, I should have usable images. Therefore I'm thinking the shutter was going off way too fast. It seems OK in warm air...

01-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, what a hunk of junk the MX is - needs a CLA after just 30 years!

Chris
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account

My MX needed two successive trips to the repairman (the second one was "on the house"), but works A-OK now.
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well, thanks for sharing and allowing us to learn from your problems Jussi.
My little MX has been going fine, but when I travel to a colder climate in a few months maybe it wont fare so well. Probably a good time to get some preventative maintenance done. For all I know it's never been serviced.

Sad to hear about your roll being ruined. I went through about 4 rolls with a sticky shutter early on with my ME Super (since retired ) and it was rather depressing to see your shots ruined.

cheers,
Jason

01-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What was the temperature when you shot this? I haven't had anything like this happen with my KX and LX in the cold, or MX for that part but the MX hasn't really seen any action under about -10°C. My only complaint is that the blue needle in the KX freezes at around -17°C. Not a big problem though, you just have to check the shuttertime from the dial.
01-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...that's just the thing: it wasn't THAT cold, only around freezing or a little below. And, there are a FEW shots from that walk that are exposed OK. So I'm really scratching my head about this...

Jason - sorry to hear you went through 4 rolls like that. My little Chinatown loss is nothing compared to that - or to the time a couple of years ago I took a Spottie and a SMC Tak 100/2.8 to Brooklyn, with two rolls, and got some great pics (I thought) but developed them in Kodak Photo Flo
01-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Yeah, what a hunk of junk the MX is - needs a CLA after just 30 years!

Chris
Yeah ... they don't make them like they used to, it has been all downhill since forging the Excalibur ;-)
01-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lazy curtain, Jussi! Probably made worse by the cold. Time to call Eric?

Steve
01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, Steve - the funny thing about the 'disposable' ST605 is the damn thing keeps working until it doesn't - but really these aren't repairable or worth repairing. But yes, now I have a whole list of cameras to send Eric - KX and MX at the top of the list. The MX definitely had some sort of hiccup, as other photos later on the same walk came out fine, even in the cold. Go figure - I'll watch the shutter after having the camera out on the porch for a while.
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Mysterious, dark, moody, captivating and unique. It's genius! I could see how you could get horizontal scratches in a landscape orientation with the film canister. But the vertical scratches seem a little puzzling.
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Yeah ... they don't make them like they used to, it has been all downhill since forging the Excalibur ;-)
Excalibur? try Garden of Eden.
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm thinking of the Ellmore James version of the tune...

Anyway, an example of things gone wrong in so many directions... Kids, don't try this at home - it takes someone with long experience and college-level training in b&w photography to achieve these results

So What's Wrong With This Picture?

1) MX shutter hangs in the cold. Actually I've noted a pattern, I think maybe Pentax when they went miniature lost a bunch of reliability. Those tiny cameras break, drag, and really need CLAs by now. E.g. Nikon or even Fuji, if the Fuji has survived till now, are still clicking, while the Pentax is going to Eric.

2) Idiot photographer believes MX light meter in the cold - maybe because of the very pretty light show it puts on. I had moments where I was thinking, "Oh boy, there's more light than I thought!" as the ever colder batteries seemed to make the meter read faster.... Goes to show, I do throw away my common sense when offered a crutch in the form of a built in meter.

3) Foma 400 is slow, very slow, a sloth of a ISO 400, more like 160, in D-76 or Xtol anyway. And did I mention grainy and noisy? Yet cheap me thought, Let's try some fresh dated stuff (my first batch was recently expired) to see if it's better. Nope. I mean, when there's enough exposure it does give an old fashioned look, but there are better films to be had. I'm feeling bad I gave my daughter a roll to shoot when we went to the Met.

4) and scratches easy, does Foma 400. I'm hoping it's the Foma and not the newly acquired MX that does this.

5) and the scanner when pushed is very noisy and adds its own lines - Epson 4490 - and just about any scanner - likes some density in the negative. Too thin, and you see every blemish and water spot and scratch on the film AND the scanner noise and those lines that are dust on the top light...

Awesome,extremely creative.