Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
When things go wrong (It hurts me too)

I'm thinking of the Ellmore James version of the tune...

Anyway, an example of things gone wrong in so many directions... Kids, don't try this at home - it takes someone with long experience and college-level training in b&w photography to achieve these results




So What's Wrong With This Picture?

1) MX shutter hangs in the cold. Actually I've noted a pattern, I think maybe Pentax when they went miniature lost a bunch of reliability. Those tiny cameras break, drag, and really need CLAs by now. E.g. Nikon or even Fuji, if the Fuji has survived till now, are still clicking, while the Pentax is going to Eric.

2) Idiot photographer believes MX light meter in the cold - maybe because of the very pretty light show it puts on. I had moments where I was thinking, "Oh boy, there's more light than I thought!" as the ever colder batteries seemed to make the meter read faster.... Goes to show, I do throw away my common sense when offered a crutch in the form of a built in meter.


3) Foma 400 is slow, very slow, a sloth of a ISO 400, more like 160, in D-76 or Xtol anyway. And did I mention grainy and noisy? Yet cheap me thought, Let's try some fresh dated stuff (my first batch was recently expired) to see if it's better. Nope. I mean, when there's enough exposure it does give an old fashioned look, but there are better films to be had. I'm feeling bad I gave my daughter a roll to shoot when we went to the Met.

4) and scratches easy, does Foma 400. I'm hoping it's the Foma and not the newly acquired MX that does this.

5) and the scanner when pushed is very noisy and adds its own lines - Epson 4490 - and just about any scanner - likes some density in the negative. Too thin, and you see every blemish and water spot and scratch on the film AND the scanner noise and those lines that are dust on the top light...




01-04-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
dadipentak's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,073
quit your nit-picking

Otherwise, it's a very nice photo.
01-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian
titrisol's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: In the most populated state... state of denial
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
The scratches are bad, but the picture is OK

IMHO Foma400 is a decent film, and in Xtol should be closer to 400 than in D76
With AM74 (Amaloco) it works fine as 400.
01-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
Kind of you but the whole section of film from my walk in Chinatown is unusable - well under exposed and where I can recover an image it is always darker to the left and brighter to the right - i.e. something wrong with the shutter timing. I was shooting at 1/500 and actually the apertures weren't too far off at all, I should have usable images. Therefore I'm thinking the shutter was going off way too fast. It seems OK in warm air...

01-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,439
Yeah, what a hunk of junk the MX is - needs a CLA after just 30 years!

Chris
01-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 207
My MX needed two successive trips to the repairman (the second one was "on the house"), but works A-OK now.
01-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
Well, thanks for sharing and allowing us to learn from your problems Jussi.
My little MX has been going fine, but when I travel to a colder climate in a few months maybe it wont fare so well. Probably a good time to get some preventative maintenance done. For all I know it's never been serviced.

Sad to hear about your roll being ruined. I went through about 4 rolls with a sticky shutter early on with my ME Super (since retired ) and it was rather depressing to see your shots ruined.

cheers,
Jason
01-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Jimfear's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 576
What was the temperature when you shot this? I haven't had anything like this happen with my KX and LX in the cold, or MX for that part but the MX hasn't really seen any action under about -10C. My only complaint is that the blue needle in the KX freezes at around -17C. Not a big problem though, you just have to check the shuttertime from the dial.

01-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
...that's just the thing: it wasn't THAT cold, only around freezing or a little below. And, there are a FEW shots from that walk that are exposed OK. So I'm really scratching my head about this...

Jason - sorry to hear you went through 4 rolls like that. My little Chinatown loss is nothing compared to that - or to the time a couple of years ago I took a Spottie and a SMC Tak 100/2.8 to Brooklyn, with two rolls, and got some great pics (I thought) but developed them in Kodak Photo Flo
01-05-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member
jolepp's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,196
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Yeah, what a hunk of junk the MX is - needs a CLA after just 30 years!

Chris
Yeah ... they don't make them like they used to, it has been all downhill since forging the Excalibur ;-)
01-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,208
Lazy curtain, Jussi! Probably made worse by the cold. Time to call Eric?


Steve
01-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
Yep, Steve - the funny thing about the 'disposable' ST605 is the damn thing keeps working until it doesn't - but really these aren't repairable or worth repairing. But yes, now I have a whole list of cameras to send Eric - KX and MX at the top of the list. The MX definitely had some sort of hiccup, as other photos later on the same walk came out fine, even in the cold. Go figure - I'll watch the shutter after having the camera out on the porch for a while.
01-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 6,929
Mysterious, dark, moody, captivating and unique. It's genius! I could see how you could get horizontal scratches in a landscape orientation with the film canister. But the vertical scratches seem a little puzzling.
01-05-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Banned




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
Yeah ... they don't make them like they used to, it has been all downhill since forging the Excalibur ;-)
Excalibur? try Garden of Eden.
01-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
Banned




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Alberta
Posts: 218
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'm thinking of the Ellmore James version of the tune...

Anyway, an example of things gone wrong in so many directions... Kids, don't try this at home - it takes someone with long experience and college-level training in b&w photography to achieve these results




So What's Wrong With This Picture?

1) MX shutter hangs in the cold. Actually I've noted a pattern, I think maybe Pentax when they went miniature lost a bunch of reliability. Those tiny cameras break, drag, and really need CLAs by now. E.g. Nikon or even Fuji, if the Fuji has survived till now, are still clicking, while the Pentax is going to Eric.

2) Idiot photographer believes MX light meter in the cold - maybe because of the very pretty light show it puts on. I had moments where I was thinking, "Oh boy, there's more light than I thought!" as the ever colder batteries seemed to make the meter read faster.... Goes to show, I do throw away my common sense when offered a crutch in the form of a built in meter.


3) Foma 400 is slow, very slow, a sloth of a ISO 400, more like 160, in D-76 or Xtol anyway. And did I mention grainy and noisy? Yet cheap me thought, Let's try some fresh dated stuff (my first batch was recently expired) to see if it's better. Nope. I mean, when there's enough exposure it does give an old fashioned look, but there are better films to be had. I'm feeling bad I gave my daughter a roll to shoot when we went to the Met.

4) and scratches easy, does Foma 400. I'm hoping it's the Foma and not the newly acquired MX that does this.

5) and the scanner when pushed is very noisy and adds its own lines - Epson 4490 - and just about any scanner - likes some density in the negative. Too thin, and you see every blemish and water spot and scratch on the film AND the scanner noise and those lines that are dust on the top light...


Awesome,extremely creative.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flickr, fuji, light, lines, meter, mx, nesster, pentax, scanner
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my head hurts catt410 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 07-03-2009 03:09 PM
Which kit lens with a K200D? My head hurts... Desi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 04-09-2009 09:08 PM
That flash hurts my eyes Grandpa crbrune Monthly Photo Contests 0 03-09-2009 12:55 PM
Ow my braind hurts. levelred Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 08-21-2008 12:36 PM
It hurts my heart and makes me angry Igilligan Post Your Photos! 10 06-03-2008 03:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top