Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
If there are any concerns, I hope MetaD will contact me right away.
No concerns from me. When I bought a 200mm lens for my 645N, Adorama called me to make sure I was okay with the ding in the filter threads.

01-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #17
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Helen(not Bryan), you want to keep those E-mails comin,fine with me. Every nano-second on
me is one less you can pull it on someone else.
Bill

I'm really sorry; I've been back through my emails and your postings on PF - and can't trace any correspondence between us on any matter.
Could you please email me directly and I'll give it my immediate attention.
01-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #18

Original Poster
Well, the MZ-s is just a pleasure to use. Something as simple as the feel & sound of the shutter and motor drive is perfect. Ergonomics and user interface is great. Total pro quality in a small package... just like the K-5!

I tried my old, manual 50mm f1.7 and 135 f 3.5 and the MZ-S gives a little beep when focus is achieved.
01-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
your postings
Plural, correct?

02-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
(Damn, I lost my message...)

Well... Let's go again:

A little known fact is that the MZ line bodies have user interchangeable focus screens...
Why I say this? Because this means you have a cheap source of split screens for your MZ thanks to the cheap MZ-m... You can even ask your local Pentax Service for them (I got them at 4€ piece this way).

I don't know if they will fit the MZ-S, but I can give you the dimensions if you want...
02-06-2011, 02:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have here a Nikon F80 and Pentax MZ-S. The cameras are reasonably comparable in size and feature set. The F80 is probably better-built than any of my other Pentax AF bodies except for the MZ-S. (Disclaimer, I don't own a PZ-1p which may also better the F80) Viewfinder is a little bigger and offers LCD gridlines, etc. The shutter on the MZ-S is a little slicker-sounding, kind of like a the K-7 and K-5, again, better than any of my other AF cameras, the N80 isn't too bad in this area either. The MZ-S actually has a better 1/180 x-sync vs. the F80's 1/125, plus the MZ-S supports P-TTL HSS and wireless.

MZ-S has an interesting take on handling. Exposure comp is relatively inconvenient to use, using a dial on the left side of the body like many classic cameras with a lock button. However I find my self not needing to use it much because of how elegant the other controls are--you basically operate in Av mode most of the time, adjusting aperture with the lens ring. When you want to alter exposure (in 1/2 EV steps), you just turn the shutter speed dial. When you want to reset back to 0EV Av mode, you hit the green button. No need for any mode dial.

I agree that the shutter speed dial is slightly stiffer than I'd like it to be--means I often turn it with thumb + index finger, rather than with either finger alone. I actually kind of like the AF point controls though they're harder to use with the BG-10 grip attached. Viewfinder isn't bad for an AF camera but is obviously smaller than some. It's in between the MZ-5n (slightly larger) and the MZ-6 (slightly smaller) but compares favorably to DSLR viewfinders.

The meter mode switch is readily accessible on the top deck, though I wish there was an indicator in the viewfinder for current meter mode.

The BG-10 grip is very well-made and comfortable but inferior to the grips for the K10/20/-7/-5 as it lacks its own e-dial -- you'll have to move one hand or the other to get to the main top-deck command dial when shooting in portrait orientation.

I'd suggest that if you do want one with the BG-10 grip, you try to find one with the camera--the grips are pretty hard to find alone. As nice as the MZ-S is, it's only one part of the consideration if you're switching systems--but a pretty nice part if you like your kit on the compact side but don't want it to feel like a plastic-y toy.