Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MZ-5 or?

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering now to get film camera. I would love MZ-S but they are hard to come by and cost too much for me to get approval from "finance" department.

So, MZ-5 or MZ-5n seem the next choices. Is there anything else in film land to compare to these two? I would like AF, but could live with MF if good camera (I mean LX but again, the price is just bit too much out of the range) but I'd like split screen (or microprism). Nice built would be handy to...

thanks for any advices...

01-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peter, it's a strange thing with film cameras. Every time I buy one, and it happens every now and then, I just love the feel and look of the particular machine.... I have no experience with the MZ-s, but whether it is the Spotmatic or the Mx or an obscure Russian rangefinder: it's great using them.

That said I'm wondering what you're going to use the film camera for? Will it be mainly streets? Or are you planning other things? Asking this, because if it is street, you might consider a small as possible camera......so no AF?
01-14-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi Axl,
some pretty good deals on ZX-L/MZ-6, notch above MZ-5, very capable
especially regarding use of flash, correspondingly higher in price though.

If flash isnt a priority, ZX-M/MZ-M isnt a bad package. just doesnt have auto exposure
and flash integration that ZX-L/MZ-6 or ZX-5/MZ-5 offers.
Have heard of problems with internal motor/gears. Ive never had a problem with
my zx-m bought in 1997. Is plausible with low batterys over time, uses cr-2 lithiums(2)
would suggest battery grip FG, takes 4 AA's, bought mine for $8.

ZX/MZ- 30,50,60's. cant shoot "K" or "M" len's efficiently. Nothing wrong with those bodies,
Im just heavily commited to those 2 series of len's, dont know much about those bodies.

Have LX, its pretty much everything heard. To be honest, takes a fair amout
to keep it right, pretty high maintnence cost. Wont part with mine, if you get
into one, be prepared for that..
can relate very well to issue's with mrs. minister of finance here

Last edited by BillM; 01-14-2011 at 03:11 AM.
01-14-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been able to compile the following K Mount list...........
Camera Model
Pentax All K-Mount

Ricoh XR1, XR2, KR 5, XR F, KR 30SP, XR20, KR 10, XR 1S, XR 2S, XR 6, XR 7, XR S, XR F, XR P, XR X

Sears KS 100, KS 500, KS AUTO, KSX

Chinon CE 4, CE 5, CP 7, CA 4, CG 5, CE 4S, CP 6, CP 9AF, CM 4, CPX

Cosina CT 10, CT 1G, CT 10A, CT 9, CT 20, CT 7, CT 7D, CS 2, CS 3, CT 1A

Exacta HS 3

Vivitar XV 2, V 335, V 635, XV 3, V 535

PETRI GX 1, GX 2, GX 4

These are the K Mount lens that I have been able to ID. There are probably additional lens that will fit a K Mount. Hope this helps..
Cliff

01-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Peter, it's a strange thing with film cameras. Every time I buy one, and it happens every now and then, I just love the feel and look of the particular machine.... I have no experience with the MZ-s, but whether it is the Spotmatic or the Mx or an obscure Russian rangefinder: it's great using them.

That said I'm wondering what you're going to use the film camera for? Will it be mainly streets? Or are you planning other things? Asking this, because if it is street, you might consider a small as possible camera......so no AF?
thanks Rense,

yes, mainly streets with 31ltd and FA*24 and 43ltd, and people shots. 99% B&W film...
01-14-2011, 03:23 AM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks!
I'll have a look at MZ-6

The LX is a dream, but they go for around £150 and up... and the really wanted MZ-S go for as much as used K10D in good shape and more, nearly K20D price!

Oh well, another thing to look out for...

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hi Axl,
some pretty good deals on ZX-L/MZ-6, notch above MZ-5, very capable
especially regarding use of flash, correspondingly higher in price though.

If flash isnt a priority, ZX-M/MZ-M isnt a bad package. just doesnt have auto exposure
and flash integration that ZX-L/MZ-6 or ZX-5/MZ-5 offers.
Have heard of problems with internal motor/gears. Ive never had a problem with
my zx-m bought in 1997. Is plausible with low batterys over time, uses cr-2 lithiums(2)
would suggest battery grip FG, takes 4 AA's, bought mine for $8.

ZX/MZ- 30,50,60's. cant shoot "K" or "M" len's efficiently. Nothing wrong with those bodies,
Im just heavily commited to those 2 series of len's, dont know much about those bodies.

Have LX, its pretty much everything heard. To be honest, takes a fair amout
to keep it right, pretty high maintnence cost. Wont part with mine, if you get
into one, be prepared for that..
can relate very well to issue's with mrs. minister of finance here
01-14-2011, 03:32 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering now to get film camera. I would love MZ-S but they are hard to come by and cost too much for me to get approval from "finance" department.

So, MZ-5 or MZ-5n seem the next choices. Is there anything else in film land to compare to these two? I would like AF, but could live with MF if good camera (I mean LX but again, the price is just bit too much out of the range) but I'd like split screen (or microprism). Nice built would be handy to...

thanks for any advices...
Hi Axl. I've been shooting with a MZ-5n a bit over the last 10 days. Someone offered me one at a good price, so I grabbed it despite my already having the MZ-5 version.

The viewfinder isn't too bad, but not as big or as bright as the LX. For precise focusing I have more confidence in the LX. The exposure readout in the viewfinder of the MZ-5n is pretty difficult to read in daylight - I know it's there but I have to make a concerted effort to see it. The autofocus has been quite reliable with FA lenses, but will hunt at times, especially with the camera in vertical orientation.

For street shooting I think a manual focus camera with a bigger and brighter screen, using the pre-focusing technique, would be more reliable. The LX (or one of the K2 models) with the 31 LTD is a killer outfit.

Edit: the MZ-6 has a faster top shutter speed (1/4000) but a lower viewfinder magnification (0.7x).

01-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Chris,

how about MZ-3?
I did have a look at MZ-6 but don't like layout...

and anybody any comments on P30 series?
01-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Axl,

I have a ZX-30 (MZ-30) I was planning on listing in the marketplace. If you are interested, send me a PM. I also have a Super Program available.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 01-14-2011 at 05:37 AM.
01-14-2011, 06:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

All the MZ single digits are very good cameras
all the double digit cameras have krippled K mounts

The p30 is a great fun camera!
has lots of cveats but still is useful and fun. I think there is a thread devoted to it

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Thanks Chris,

how about MZ-3?
I did have a look at MZ-6 but don't like layout...

and anybody any comments on P30 series?
01-14-2011, 06:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

i had an mz5 for a long time predigital Axl and for it's time it was a good camera. AF by today's standards is middling at best. The layout of the camera is very intuitive and it is quite easy to shoot with though. For MF I don't think i would use it the viewfinder just isn't that good. An Mx/KX will be far superior (and smaller, better built) just lacking in AF and less sophisticated metering. not quite Lx's but can be had for far less. the MZ-S is another story that I would consider buying (even at the price of a used k10) as I think it is worth it for the most part, more pro than the other mz bodies and closer to what you shoot
I though about re-buying the MZ5 because i did like it, but as I now use mostly MF lenses i decided against it
If you go to the 5 then get a 5n not a 5 (adds DOF preview), it is definitely a little better unit.

bear in mind aside from the MZS they are all pretty plastic, and have some persnickety plastic gears as well that were change to metal at one point but have a high failure rate. None but the S have changeable focus screens, non have split image prisms, and most are pentamirror not pentaprism so not as bright either

If you plan on using it a lot the S is probably worth the price bump if you can even find one
I also had an MZ 50 as a backup body at the time. nothing special, but they can be had for $30-40

Oh and don't discount the *ist KEH has a couple right now and they have better AF (selective 11 point) and would be much the same camera as the *istD. the only real issue is only KA or newer lenses for this one (shouldn't affect you right now)
01-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

i have two MZ-5 a few months ago. then i sold one of it to a friend. this is pretty staright forward camera i think. no scene mode. and the speed shutter dial is just like the old day of film camera. you turn it to get faster or slower shutter speed with your finger.

i like this camera very much. some of my best shot came from this.

i will get rid of this camera if only i can get the MZ-5n version. or the rare beast.. MZ-3.
01-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have 5N and 6; they have 5 years separation on the production line and therefore quite different. 5N has classical dial control, needs aperture ring to work on Av mode, has a bigger pentaprism viewfinder and KAF2 mount. #6 has DSLR-like control, smaller penta-mirror viewfinder, uncripled (i.e. the camera body has a lever on the edge of mount to couple with the aperture ring) KAF mount, will work on K, M, F, FA, and some DA lenses, can use p-TTL flash. Since my eye sight is still quite good, I have no problem to do manual focusing on both cameras. Also the hexagon lights up in the viewfinder when it is in focus.
Attached Images

Last edited by violini; 06-10-2011 at 04:29 PM.
01-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a ZX-5, the American version of the MZ-5, I've been trying to get rid of cause I don't plan on going back to film. After my having the MZ-5n for 8 years, I sold that one and two years ago bought the lesser model of the series. Check your PM's Pete.
01-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Have picked up P3n,ZX-M, ZX-L(2) over the years axl, just my opinion,probably
most cost effective to go with most recently produced body. P3n has served me
well,cheaply. Technology moves on though, advantages are apparent.
ZX-M does have split prism, no autofocus.
Issue with nylon gear, as I understand... When motor is in low voltage state(battery),
heat is generated thats called (IR2 losses) current times resistance, squared.
over period of time,done repeatedly can alter characteristics of gear, ie.
make it brittle(thermal hysterisis) resulting in breakage. In my mind have plenty of good batteries
and you'll be fine, could well be that condition has previously manifested to lesser
degree, which does make it somewhat of a gamble, could very well happen
with brass gear, difference being, motor windings lose insulation and fail
MZ-S included, just takes longer.