Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the ZX-50 operate without film?

i'm just trying to test some lens AF, apparently the battery is low and the camera won't let me do anything (as well as no film in the camera), i'm planning to pick up some battery and try the different settings/AF lens, not sure if it'll work without film (other wise i'll have to waste money buying films ).

01-16-2011, 12:13 AM   #2

I bought one just the other day and had the same issue, fresh batteries in and it let me play around with it... it didn't let me snap the shutter empty though. It also didn't meter at all while the batteries were low.

fyi, I know nothing of camera but I decided to join just to answer this
01-16-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yasha32 Quote
I bought one just the other day and had the same issue, fresh batteries in and it let me play around with it... it didn't let me snap the shutter empty though. It also didn't meter at all while the batteries were low.

fyi, I know nothing of camera but I decided to join just to answer this
haha, we're in the same shoe then... um i'm actually trying to test the AF on my lens, not sure if it'll AF even without snapping the shutter (which it should).

It didn't even let me change aperture on AV mode while battery is low... go figures lol, but it'd let me change shutter speed in TV mode... actually now that I think about it, my camera might be mess up (or the lens, but it doesn't make any sense since it does the same thing for 2-3 different lenses)... oh well, new battery tomorrow and we'll find out.
01-16-2011, 06:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
haha, we're in the same shoe then... um i'm actually trying to test the AF on my lens, not sure if it'll AF even without snapping the shutter (which it should).

It didn't even let me change aperture on AV mode while battery is low... go figures lol, but it'd let me change shutter speed in TV mode... actually now that I think about it, my camera might be mess up (or the lens, but it doesn't make any sense since it does the same thing for 2-3 different lenses)... oh well, new battery tomorrow and we'll find out.
I had (and recently sold) a ZX-50. As I recall you can certainly meter and AF without film. As I recall, you should be able to operate the shutter as well. FWIW, I had the battery grip with it that took 4 AA batteries. It might be a pretty good investment (got it for $10 shipped, LNIB) if you're going to use the ZX-50 a lot.

01-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Answer is yes!
01-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I had (and recently sold) a ZX-50. As I recall you can certainly meter and AF without film. As I recall, you should be able to operate the shutter as well. FWIW, I had the battery grip with it that took 4 AA batteries. It might be a pretty good investment (got it for $10 shipped, LNIB) if you're going to use the ZX-50 a lot.
How much longer does it last on the battery pack? Curious for myself now that you mention it
01-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
to answer my own question... yes it does, won't let you hit the shutter (take pictures) but everything else work.
01-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yasha32 Quote
How much longer does it last on the battery pack? Curious for myself now that you mention it
I only ran a couple rolls of film through it to test it out before I sold it so I'm really not sure.

01-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I am sure you can test AF without film and shutter at "bulb". For metering, you need a film because the camera has to know ISO. Many of us who used film cameras always have some old expired films. ZX-50 will re-wind all the flim into the canister. Only ZX-L can be programmed to leave the film lead outside the canister.
01-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I am sure you can test AF without film and shutter at "bulb". For metering, you need a film because the camera has to know ISO. Many of us who used film cameras always have some old expired films. ZX-50 will re-wind all the flim into the canister. Only ZX-L can be programmed to leave the film lead outside the canister.
My understanding is if the camera is not sensing a DX code then it assumes that it is ISO 100.