Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax KX repair comments?

I have a KX that I bought used and I recently noticed that the flash sync doesn't work from the hot shoe. It does work from the flash connector port, though.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the plastic piece under the flash shoe is cracked, so I'm thinking that a lead for the hot shoe has either become disconnected, or maybe grounded out.

I've repaired a number of cameras over the years, but I've never had the top off a KX. I see that there are some small grub screws holding the disk atop the advance lever in place and also the shutter speed dial is held in place be three grub screws. I trust nothing will go sproing! when I take them loose? Don't know yet if the ISO dial needs to come off. I see two screws on the top of the camera's top cover. With other cameras I usually have to take the front piece off -- the piece surrounds the lens mount -- before I can lift the top cover free. Dunno if I will or not here.

Once I get the top off, I'll just start poking around with my multimeter, looking for open circuits. up around the hot shoe. I also plan to remove the plastic piece and glue the crack closed.

Anybody care to share their wisdom on the subject?

01-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I have a KX that I bought used and I recently noticed that the flash sync doesn't work from the hot shoe. It does work from the flash connector port, though.

Upon closer inspection, I noticed that the plastic piece under the flash shoe is cracked, so I'm thinking that a lead for the hot shoe has either become disconnected, or maybe grounded out.

I've repaired a number of cameras over the years, but I've never had the top off a KX. I see that there are some small grub screws holding the disk atop the advance lever in place and also the shutter speed dial is held in place be three grub screws. I trust nothing will go sproing! when I take them loose? Don't know yet if the ISO dial needs to come off. I see two screws on the top of the camera's top cover. With other cameras I usually have to take the front piece off -- the piece surrounds the lens mount -- before I can lift the top cover free. Dunno if I will or not here.

Once I get the top off, I'll just start poking around with my multimeter, looking for open circuits. up around the hot shoe. I also plan to remove the plastic piece and glue the crack closed.

Anybody care to share their wisdom on the subject?
I would check with Eric first, before you open up your KX for surgery. It probably needs a full CLA, so Eric can fix the hot shoe issue at the same time.

Eric's web page: Home

Phil.
01-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, Phil. I've bookmarked it for future reference. But at this time, money is tight, and I would like to see if I could do this myself. Removing the top from a camera is not major surgery. I've done it many times before.