Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K1000 and S1 question...

Just curious...are either the K1000 or the S1 considered collectables to anyone?
Any feedback is appreciated.
thx
g

01-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Just curious...are either the K1000 or the S1 considered collectables to anyone?
thx
g
I can only speak for the K1000.

Yes I would consider the original “Made in Japan” K1000 with the K55/2.0 collectable, as well as the K1000SE. The other versions not really, unless someone finds one in black!

Phil.
01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

thx
g
They're certainly not considered as collectible as, say, a Leica or a Rollieflex, but there are people who collect them. I have a small collection of Pentax film SLRs, not because I consider them a great investment that will fund my retirement, but because I like Pentax cameras.

I have both a K1000 and an H1, the USA version of the S1, in my collection. I also have a ZX-60, because it was one of the last three film SLR's Pentax made, along with the ZX-M and the *ist.

So, if you're asking if you can make a lot of money with a K1000 or S1, the answer is probably no. If you're asking if you should add them to your collection, I say yes. Neither one is very expensive.
01-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Generally speaking, is one more desireable/collectable than the other?...
thx again.

01-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks for the feedback. Generally speaking, is one more desireable/collectable than the other?...
thx again.
I don't know that there's a real concensus on that. Many Pentax cameras are still purchased by photographers who want to actually get out and take pictures with them. Leicas and Rolleis, especially the older ones, have a much larger "collector" base. Lots of people still use Leica and Rollei cameras, though.

There are a fair number of fans of the M42 screwmount lenses, which the S1 uses. Some of those lenses are second to none in image quality.

The K1000, on the other hand, while incredibly simple by today's standards, at least has a builtin light meter and uses more modern k-mount lenses. Even autofocus lenses will work on a K1000, as long as the lens has an aperture ring.

In short, I think its up to you, which one you like best, if you can only get one. As I said, the question of which one will be a better investment is not relevant. Neither one is an investment.

If you're looking for investments, collect Leica, Rollei, pre-war Kodaks or Nikons, not Pentax. If you collect Pentax, just buy what you like. Its just a hobby and is supposed to be fun. You can probably buy 20 Pentaxes for the price on one Leica.

Both the S1 and K1000 have very similar body sizes/shapes. The controls are in virtually identical positions. In many ways, the K1000 is the direct descendent of the S1/S2/S3 family, which in turn is descended from the earlier models AP, S and K.

There are a few Pentaxes that command higher prices. The LX regularly sells for $400-600. The original AP, from 1957 can be in the hundreds, perhaps as much as $1000, but they don't appear on the market too often. The slightly more common K and S models from the late fifties often get $300-400 on eBay.

Speaking of eBay, don't be fooled by asking prices. I've seen standard, good (not mint) condition K1000's in eBay with starting bids of $400. They don't sell. A K1000, in working condition, with a 50 or 55mm lens should sell for between $50 and $100.
01-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Noblepa - Actually, the S model (not S1 etc) are extremely rare it was released between the AP and K. They fetch a hefty price accordingly.

Beaumont - The S1 and K1000 were more plentiful and typically go for a few $100, depending on the lens etc.

As noblepa pointed out, check the camera review database here on the forum. There are some prices listed for the K1000, but so far none for the S1. (Between work and trying to collect the info for the screwmounts when the database was created, I've been a little burnt out, but I'll try to add some reviews soon.) The S1 pictures is mine and due to it's shape, I would make a guess that it would typically go for around $250. You can find them quite a bit cheaper but they may have dings, brassing, curtain issues, or they may need to be calibrated.

Pentax Camera Reviews - Pentax K-R, Pentax K-5, K-x, K-7, and 645D DSLRs - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by SteveM; 01-21-2011 at 09:12 AM.
01-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
You can probably buy 20 Pentaxes for the price on one Leica.
depends on the model of leica and its condition. my M3 cost me less than the combined cost of My AP my SV my ME-F.

if you are asking this question because you are the owner of these models, then no. in all honesty neither are collectable in a broad sense. however, going against the opinion of noblepa, Pentax can indeed be collectable. and there are a number of models that fetch quite large sums of money. far more than my single stroke M3 cost me. (if they are in collectable condition that is) models such as:

Asahiflex (pre-pentax)
the pentax ‘AP’
the ’S'
the ‘K’
'Tower 29' with the very rare Auto-Takumar 55mm 1.9
‘Asahi Pentar K’ south african variant
‘Asahiflex H2’
‘Penta Asahiflex H2’
‘S2 Super’
the fabled 'Honeywell Pentax H4’ (spotmatic name variant that records indicate do indeed exist)
an original japanese market ‘Electro Spotmatic’ is pretty rare (only lasted four months in production for japan only)
a complete ‘Motor Drive’ system is pretty rare. and a complete Data II system with the original 17 jeweled Citizen clock is extremely rare. even more so with a Motor Drive unit.

pretty much all of these in the right market could be worth a lot, most of which I would estimate to be worth for more than a typical leica, rollei or nikon. in some cases extremely more.

Last edited by séamuis; 01-21-2011 at 09:38 AM.