Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Donation/information request - my school is running out of cameras!

Mods, I wasn't sure if this was the right forum or not. My apologies if this is in the wrong place.

As some of you may know, in the Fall of 2009 I returned to college after many years away. As of last week I am the new Photo Lab Tech at my school. My school still has a strong film photography program, with facilities that are more than adequate for student needs, but there is a looming problem - our camera rental program is starting to run out of cameras!

Now I know you might be thinking "Why not just buy from KEH?". Unfortunately, due to state regulations, we are not allowed to purchase used equipment of any kind. The program also tested the current Vivitar line, but they proved much too unreliable, as in we bought three cameras and they were all dead within 3 weeks.

What we are looking for is donations of manually adjustable 35mm SLRs and lenses. While we cannot pay you for the equipment, we can reimburse reasonable shipping, and we can provide you with paperwork so you can claim the donation as a deduction on your 2011 taxes. For calculating the deduction value, we find a "reasonable" listing for the camera at a retailer. For example, keh.com lists a K1000 with a SMC M 50mm f/2 for $218 in EX condition. As far as I'm concerned, to qualify as anything less than EX, a camera would either need to be malfunctioning or look like it was dropped from the second floor.

Although personally I would prefer it if any cameras were Pentax, honestly any brand of camera would be great. What we are looking for in a SLR is manually adjustable aperture and shutter speed, a built in light meter, and manually focusable. Manual or auto ISO, wind, and rewind are all okay. Also, we really don't need any more broken or "iffy" cameras. We already have plenty of those!

Of course if you know of a retail establishment that has a stock of new ZX-Ms, K 1000s, or similar cameras from other brands, that would be wonderful to find too!

If you were planning to donate a camera the address is:

Visual Arts Department
Cal State University San Bernardino
5500 University Parkway
San Bernardino, CA 92407-2393

Attention: Photo Lab

If you are going to send something in, please include your contact information, so we can send the tax information, et cetera. Also, please send my a PM so I know to keep a lookout for it.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Steve Beswick; 01-25-2011 at 11:21 AM.
01-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a Maxxum 7000 body & flash. PM if you are interested.
01-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the only decent SLRs still in production for film are likely the Nikon FM10/F100 and F6
FM10 with the kit zoom is 299.99
F100 is much better built but at a cost of $750 without a lens

Bessa R3/4 bodies are 600-700 and a basic 35mm f2.5 would be another 300

the Bessa rangefinders are great but would be quite a bit more money than an fm10 (hate to steer you away from Pentax)

The ZX-Ms are probably a little frail for a college film course IMHO even if you could find them

Too bad Cosina didn't keep making their basic SLR it would have been perfect (and used pentax lenses)

unfortunately the only thing i could supply is a broken mx i use the others still
01-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I've got a Maxxum 7000 body & flash. PM if you are interested.
You will be hearing from me very soon!

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Please post a shipping address.

Chris
I will get it first thing tomorrow. Are you planning to send something?

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the only decent SLRs still in production for film are likely the Nikon FM10/F100 and F6
FM10 with the kit zoom is 299.99
F100 is much better built but at a cost of $750 without a lens

Bessa R3/4 bodies are 600-700 and a basic 35mm f2.5 would be another 300

the Bessa rangefinders are great but would be quite a bit more money than an fm10 (hate to steer you away from Pentax)

The ZX-Ms are probably a little frail for a college film course IMHO even if you could find them

Too bad Cosina didn't keep making their basic SLR it would have been perfect (and used pentax lenses)

unfortunately the only thing i could supply is a broken mx i use the others still
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the FM10 just a re-skinned version of the Vivitar with a different (F) mount?

Oddly enough the ZX-Ms that we have seem to be holding up fairly well, although last week I had one come back where it seemed that the shutter had exploded!

01-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If I might ask, what state are you in? I'm a student as well, and I've never heard of a regulation which would prevent the purchase of used equipment....
As well, many used cameras can be bought at relatively low prices if you shop around, perhaps you could provide a quantity of film equal or close to the price of the camera as an incentive to have students buy their own?
I would love to send you guys a camera, but I've only got two SLRs, a KX and a Spotmatic, myself, so I'm afraid I'm no help there. Still, I feel your pain, and I would donate if I could. I'd encourage anyone with the means to do so, as this donation will ensure many future students can learn our (slowly dying) art.
01-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
If I might ask, what state are you in? I'm a student as well, and I've never heard of a regulation which would prevent the purchase of used equipment....
As well, many used cameras can be bought at relatively low prices if you shop around, perhaps you could provide a quantity of film equal or close to the price of the camera as an incentive to have students buy their own?
I would love to send you guys a camera, but I've only got two SLRs, a KX and a Spotmatic, myself, so I'm afraid I'm no help there. Still, I feel your pain, and I would donate if I could. I'd encourage anyone with the means to do so, as this donation will ensure many future students can learn our (slowly dying) art.
I'm in the Broken Golden State, AKA California. Cal State San Bernardino to be exact. The only problem with the hand-out-film idea is the type of cameras that students show up with. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame the students - they don't know any better.
01-24-2011, 10:49 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the only decent SLRs still in production for film are likely the Nikon FM10/F100
This is the same basic camera as the Vivitar (both made by Cosina).

Steve

01-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Steve (Beswick)...

The Portland Photographer's Forum has an abandoned camera rehab program and I believe that they pass equipment they find on as donations to schools and such. I don't remember who it is that coordinates (I am pretty much a lurker with that group), but I can at least give you their Web site.
Portland Photographers' Forum

Steve (the other)
01-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Steve (Beswick)...

The Portland Photographer's Forum has an abandoned camera rehab program and I believe that they pass equipment they find on as donations to schools and such. I don't remember who it is that coordinates (I am pretty much a lurker with that group), but I can at least give you their Web site.
Portland Photographers' Forum

Steve (the other)
Thanks Steve, I will look into that!
01-25-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the FM10 just a re-skinned version of the Vivitar with a different (F) mount?
You may be right, I know it was made by Cosina, and on looking so is the Vivitar.
01-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Please post a shipping address.

Chris
Just posted!
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Have you tried contacting Pentax or major retailers in the US to see if they still have film cameras sitting around as new-old stock? I found 5 new MZ-m bodies (minus boxes and accessories) dumped in a used camera bin at a Canadian retailer last week. Presumably they had been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years.
01-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hrm. Well, I'm willing to help if I can, looks like I've got nothing that's a known quantity with a working meter, but I could scope out the local pawnshop with a pocketfull of batteries and maybe check things out.

I might, at least, be able to kick in a lens if anyone's got a body of whatever mount that'd otherwise work. They seem to let that stuff go pretty cheap and have a general assortment. Generally nothing to write home about, but I can look.
02-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought I would pop this back up, just in case someone missed it before.
02-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Have you tried contacting Pentax or major retailers in the US to see if they still have film cameras sitting around as new-old stock? I found 5 new MZ-m bodies (minus boxes and accessories) dumped in a used camera bin at a Canadian retailer last week. Presumably they had been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years.
Send me the name of the retailer, I want to hang around his dumpster!