Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Fuji RHPIII400 vs RXPIII400

Just posted some of my RHPIII400 transparency film in the marketplace, but really after info. Noticed that Fuji Velvia transformed into Velvia 100 and 50 during the same era that the RHP became RXP. Plenty of web chat about the Velvia change being due to price and availability of some of the chemistry for the original Velvia product line. Anybody know if this is also part of the RHP to RXP change? Just checking...still have a bit of original Velvia in the deep freeze...perhaps 50 or 60 rolls including 35mm, 120 and 220. Of course, it's not for sale!

Am I screwing up selling the RHP?

01-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Just posted some of my RHPIII400 transparency film in the marketplace, but really after info. Noticed that Fuji Velvia transformed into Velvia 100 and 50 during the same era that the RHP became RXP. Plenty of web chat about the Velvia change being due to price and availability of some of the chemistry for the original Velvia product line. Anybody know if this is also part of the RHP to RXP change? Just checking...still have a bit of original Velvia in the deep freeze...perhaps 50 or 60 rolls including 35mm, 120 and 220. Of course, it's not for sale!

Am I screwing up selling the RHP?
Provia 400X (RXP) is supposed to have better archival capabilities than the older RHPIII. (Better couplers for less fading)
RXP also has a finer grain (RMS 11) compared to RHPIII (RMS 13).

Phil.
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Phil,

Interesting that you bring up the couplers as that's also what changed in the Velvia product.

I wonder if the archival strength is a cover for "we don't want to pay the current cost of the materials" which is essentially why the Velvia couplers were changed/upgraded?

Probably never know for sure?
01-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Thanks Phil,

Interesting that you bring up the couplers as that's also what changed in the Velvia product.

I wonder if the archival strength is a cover for "we don't want to pay the current cost of the materials" which is essentially why the Velvia couplers were changed/upgraded?

Probably never know for sure?
Yes agreed most of the changes are probably Fuji lab secrets!
I never did try the RHP version, but have used the RXP a fair mount over the last year or so. Itís a great fast slide film, which I mostly use for indoor macro work or when I use my larger super telephotos.

Phil.