Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A wet Spotmatic

I was out shooting this afternoon and it started to drizzle a little bit. I had only brought my Spotty, my 55mm 1.4, and two rolls of film, so I wasn't able to put my camera away or anything, it just kind of got wet with me. So anyways, I came home and put the whole rig in a bag of rice (it works for electronics), and I basically just want to know, how worried should I be? Is it likely that a little bit of rain and moisture will cause catastrophic failure down the road? And is there anything more I should do for my camera at this point?

01-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you've done all you can. The bag of rice works great.

There's always moisture to worry about, which may = fungus down the road, but hopefully the rice takes care of it. You can also buy some bags of silica gel to help out. I bought a few to keep in my bag.

Amazon.com: Silica Gel Desiccants - 1 1/16 X 2 1/16" - 3 Grams - 5 Packets of Silica Gel: Camera & Photo
01-25-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The sillica gels are a good idea, I'll have to buy a few. I'm thinking I might be okay because it was mostly just a few drops on the top cover. I'm not TOO concerned about humidity overall because I live in an airconditioned building in florida, which means it's always humid outside and dry where I store my gear, I just don't want the meter to short or rust to form....
01-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These old cameras really aren't miniature electronic marvels like those of today - basically, you have a metering circuit and that's that. I've taken several cameras out in the rain like this - the rice thing is a good idea, but basically wiping things off and letting it dry is usually sufficient, at least in the short run. (In the long run, maybe it hastens a CLA?)

01-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be fine, been there done that and the camera keeps functioning 20 years on.

Keep some silica gels in the storage, specially to avoid fungus but the camera should be ok.....
01-26-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Back when my Spotmatic was the only camera I had, and I used it all the time, I got caught in light rains several times. I never even bothered with rice or silica gel. I just removed the lens and film, opened it up as much as I could and let it air dry that way for a day or two.

That was in 1967. I still have it and it still works perfectly, including the meter.