Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 04:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Stereo Photography

Does anyone here have a Pentax Stereo Adapter? Well I do, but I have never used it. I bought it a year ago from an Ebay seller in Israel.

I am looking for advise for using this device. Has anyone had success or failure using it? Is it just a novelty item or a serious way to express ones creativity?

I'd love to hear from any and all that have experience with this tool.

Last edited by J.Scott; 11-06-2007 at 03:35 AM.
10-09-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you show the adaptor on a film body, but can you take a couple of snaps on a DSLR so we can see the results?

Your banner seems to indicate you own a DSLR
10-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

So...you're the one that won that auction...and you never use it? Shame on you.

To my understanding, it splits the 35mm frame in half and exposed the film through each prism. There is a special Pentax viewer that you would use to view the images...in stereo. Very similar to the stereo glasses used in geology and physical geography classes with 'split screen' images to show topography. Pretty cool!

However...with the crop factor of digitals, I'm not all too sure how it will work. Worth a try. (If it doesn't work, you can always sell it to me. )
10-09-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wait a minute.. This is 3D imagery.. You'll need the red/blue glasses to view the images properly.

Loreo Asia Ltd. - 3D Camera, Stereo Photography, Photo Accessories and Optical Systems and Stereo camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Wait a minute.. This is 3D imagery.. You'll need the red/blue glasses to view the images properly.

Loreo Asia Ltd. - 3D Camera, Stereo Photography, Photo Accessories and Optical Systems and Stereo camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not quite true. You need a "stereo viewer" but not necessarily red/blue glasses. Stereo photography has been around for quite a while. Geologists, foresters, and the like use "stereo pairs" to view topology in an exaggurated vertical topographic scale. What is done there is a specially equipped plane with a camera on each wing overflies the terrain and takes pairs of pictures, each from a slightly different angle. They are then placed side by side, and viewed thru a optic viewer that melds the two and produces a true stereoptic effect, tho as I say with the vertical scale exaggurated. I still have my viewer and photos taken of the New York State University forest in the Adirondak region of NY, that I used in forestry school waaaaayyyyyyy back when

NaCl(and yes they did have airplanes then! )H2O
10-09-2007, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All you need is your eyes. cross them, like looking a magic eye image, and bring the two halves together in focus. Check it out. STEREO - Cross Eyed STEREO

A stereo viewer would proabably be easier on the eyes tho. I hadn't thought about the crop factor on digitals. too bad, I always thought this would be cool.
10-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
So...you're the one that won that auction...and you never use it? Shame on you.
Were you bidding on it too? Yeah - I just couldn't resist. It wasn't cheap (by my standards) as it cost $150 US + shipping. I am wracked with guilt for not using it.

QuoteQuote:
There is a special Pentax viewer that you would use to view the images...in stereo.
It came with a 3D slide viewer. Obviously it hasn't been used either. I was trained in forestry many, many years ago so I can easily cross my eyes and see the 3D effect. We needed to do it for work back then and couldn't always rely on having special viewer glasses, but they do help.

QuoteQuote:
you show the adaptor on a film body, but can you take a couple of snaps on a DSLR so we can see the results?
Your banner seems to indicate you own a DSLR
Actually I have 2 DSLR's. I have sort of tried it by holding it in front of the kit lens on my *ist DS. The results weren't great. I put it on the ME Super as it has a 50mm lens with a 49mm filter ring - exactly what the stereo adapter requires. I guess the most logical thing would be to buy a roll of film and give it a whirl.

I guess I was hoping someone would write in saying they used one and had fantastic results. That would be all the encouragement I would need to try harder. I could buy a 35mm lens and use it on the digi's. I am sure I would use the lens for something other than stereo pics.

10-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #8

Hi Jeff, and all!

I swear I'm not trying to hijack your thread....

I don't have a stereo adapter. In fact, I hadn't even heard of stereo photography before last Thursday, when Volosong mentioned it in a post on another thread.

But since last week, that's all I've been thinking about...

Apparently, as others have noted above, the adapter you have probably won't work on DSLR because of the crop factor, but googling has lead me to another link over at OK1000 that claims Pentax did make a version of this for DSLRs. There is a link from there to Pentax.jp site that shows it. Any ideas on how to get a hold of one?

It looks like that adapter Jeff has is 1/2 of a set. The other 1/2 is a viewer that allows you to view the images in 3D. Anyone know what viewing method is used by that adapter? Can you see the images in 3d using the cross-eyed method without the viewer adapter?

Since I don't have one of those, I used the base plate of my Manfrotto 303sph to slide my K100D side to side about 6-8 inches and got the following results from 2 shots. The adapter would be cooler, because you could capture action shots by getting both shots in a "single click"
To view this in 3d, make sure to read the instructions linked to by konraDarnok. I just realized that this isn't the "Post your photo" part of the forum, so I'm just posting a link here:

My first 3d image

I've been viewing a lot of pictures via the cross-eye'd method over the past few days, and it isn't so hard, once your eyes get used to it. I also found this software which will convert your dual images into either 2 side-by-sides, or converge them into a single image for viewing with a number of different kinds of 3d glasses. I'm not sure if that software would work with shots taken by the adapter, but it does make it easier to matte the results using a dual image technique

Very cool stuff!!!

-Chris
10-10-2007, 03:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's pretty cool! You inspired me to have another thought. Is it possible to purchase an adapter which will step up the 49mm threaded ring to a 52mm ring? That may just solve my immediate problem of trying to attach the stereo adapter to my DSLR's.
10-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #10

Hi Jeff,

Certainly step-up rings are available. I don't have a 49->52, but have a 52->58.

But even easier than that, what's stopping you from bayonetting that old prime, adapter and all, straight to the front of your K10?

-Chris
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hinckc Quote
Hi Jeff,
what's stopping you from bayonetting that old prime, adapter and all, straight to the front of your K10?

-Chris
I think I asked this alreaady and am disappointed that there are no images
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think I asked this alreaady and am disappointed that there are no images
Easy answer - I tried. A lens with a 50mm focal length on the film camera = 75mm focal length on the DSLR. The stereo adapter needs to be 50mm (or reasonably close to that focal length) therefore I would need a 35 mm lens to work on the DSLR. I think I'll aim for the step-up ring, that seems like a cheaper alternative than the purchase of a new lens.
10-10-2007, 11:57 AM   #13

Anybody remember the Viewmaster from when you were a kid. I think what we are talking about a grown ups version of that toy. Pretty cool if you can make it work..
10-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Easy answer - I tried. A lens with a 50mm focal length on the film camera = 75mm focal length on the DSLR. The stereo adapter needs to be 50mm (or reasonably close to that focal length) therefore I would need a 35 mm lens to work on the DSLR. I think I'll aim for the step-up ring, that seems like a cheaper alternative than the purchase of a new lens.
What about a scan of a film frame? I'm not fussy just curious.
10-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #15
CDP
Forum Member

You can make stereo images using a DSLR even if that 3D adapter won't work correctly. Hinckc had the right idea using the base-plate of his tripod and displacing the camera from side-to-side. There is a device called a parallax bar (also called a slide bar) that mounts on a tripod with the camera attached. The part the has the camera attached is a rail that lets you displace the camera from side-to-side for the two shots used to make the stereo-pair. For landscapes you'd use a lot of displacement, for close-up work just a little. Here's a stereo-pair using a parallax bar. The displacement was only about 1/2 inch, a larger displacement would cause the image to look distorted when view.

This uses the crossed-eyes method.

K100D with FA 50mm 1.4
1/20 sec
F4
ISO 200
Assembling the stereo-pair and a little post work in PS CS2

BTW take a look at 3dstereo.com. They have all kinds of interesting stuff for creating 3D images.