Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #1

Pentax MX - Do I have a problem?

Hi Everyone,

I have just dug out my old Pentax MX after over 25 years in a wardrobe and I am trying it out to see if it still works. So I put a film thru it and have the results back - which I am mostly pleased with.

However, about a third of the photos mostly at the end of the film had a slightly darker band down the RHS. I am not sure whether this is a processing or camera fault. The full roll is on flickr (see Collection: Pentax MX Film tests). I attach one of the photos here for ease of viewing.

Grateful for any advice.

Thank you.

Attached Images

01-26-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Inactive Account

It looks like your shutter curtains need a CLA (clean, lube, adjust).

This is a common problem with cameras of this vintage (which probably haven't ever been serviced since new) due to accumulated "dirt" and dried out lube and should be an easy fix for an experienced serviceperson.
01-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't know that I would be too quick to blame the dark bar on the camera. I frequently get that sort of thing as a scanning artifact from my Nikon 5000 ED scanner when using the strip feeder. It usually shows on the first or last frame on a strip and disappears if the strip is fed from the opposite direction.

Soooo...the question is...can you see the "shadow" on the negative itself?

BTW...One of the best ways to test for a hesitant shutter curtain is to shoot an overcast sky using the default meter reading. Scan the negative using the default auto setting for the scanner (don't use the strip feeder) and the flaky curtain will show distinctly as one or more dark bars.

Steve
01-27-2011, 02:39 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. The band is on the negatives. I did check before posting and should have mentioned it.

I did wonder whether it was some problem due to lack of use age etc.

01-27-2011, 03:16 AM   #5
Inactive Account

You didn't store the camera with the shutter cocked for a quarter of a century, did you?

OK, I don't know if that has anything to do with the bands, but the springs on the MXes wear out easily, so I've been told by one repairer.

With mechanical cameras, like the MX, it's best to get them serviced, especially if they've been idle for that long.
01-27-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
No it wasn't cocked!

Looking again at the roll and the times I took them, it looks like the problem appears after about 4 or 5 shots but goes away when the camera has been put down for a while.

Which way does the shutter move across the film. Being a bit slow starting to move across would leave a band at one side where it finishes its traverse.
01-27-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Pretty sure the shutter moves (when looking into the BACK of the camera,) from right to left.
01-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Pretty sure the shutter moves (when looking into the BACK of the camera,) from right to left.
So you have a lazy leading curtain that is "capping" at the left margin of the shutter opening.

Steve