Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Would you buy a camera with a dent like this?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The rest of the camera looks good and well, could this have damaged anything? Its A MX btw, how much is to much to buy this with a 50mm 2.0 M lens? Would a shop like Adoroma look at it for free or cheap?

01-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I think it is in an area that would not affect performance. If it misaligned the prism, you would notice that when everything came out blurry or at least focused way off, on the first roll.
01-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I spent a long time searching for an MX, which I finally found.

My experience has been that MXs must be made of relatively thin metal compared to previous AP models as almost every example I have come across appears to have several dents or dings about the body, and the prism housings appear to be easily buckled out of shape through even relatively normal use of the hot shoe.

Of course, they are very light and "cute" and appealing (check it out with a Pentax-M 2.8/40 "Pancake" lens on it for looks): that's why I persevered , and I use mine quite a lot.

On the other hand, finding a "minty" one could take forever.

In this instance, I doubt anything would be affected, other than the cosmetics.

(Check to see that everything else is OK, then ask for a reduction in price )

Last edited by Banjo; 01-26-2011 at 05:07 PM.
01-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah I see, So it is probably fine, one last question, I noticed some black pint chipping off, can that be repainted easy? I never attempted such a thing, thanks for the opinions on this though, very much appreciated.

01-26-2011, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
...one last question, I noticed some black pint chipping off, can that be repainted easy? I never attempted such a thing....
Go to a newsagency and look in the felt pen section for a black felt-tipped marker pen.

If possible, get one that actually contains a type of paint (even better), but any kind will "do".

Another source is one of the shops that caters for modellers: they have all kinds of enamels that will stick to anything, in small containers (even spray cans).

Just touch up the "dings" and it will all be as good as new.

(I have often used a black felt-tipped marker pen to tidy up dings and wear-marks on manual lenses, camera bodies and lens-hoods: it works! )
01-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
Go to a newsagency and look in the felt pen section for a black felt-tipped marker pen.

If possible, get one that actually contains a type of paint (even better), but any kind will "do".

Another source is one of the shops that caters for modellers: they have all kinds of enamels that will stick to anything, in small containers (even spray cans).

Just touch up the "dings" and it will all be as good as new.

(I have often used a black felt-tipped marker pen to tidy up dings and wear-marks on manual lenses, camera bodies and lens-hoods: it works! )
Awesome thanks so much, seems easy enough!
01-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The M-series cameras use thinner metal for the top and bottom covers than earlier Pentax models,
so dents are fairly common. In fact it is hard to find an MX without a dent, depression or pucker.
Most will not affect function.

IMO any used Pentax should be sent here for a thorough check and CLA.
It is unlikely Eric will have a replacement MX top cover, but may be able to
straighten the dented portion a bit and make sure all is okay underneath

That said I would not buy this camera as is. There are cleaner MX bodies around.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-31-2011 at 12:52 PM.
01-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider the location of the dent and the kind of impact that it would take to make it. Bottom line is that a dented camera is often indication of a camera that has been dropped and a camera that has been dropped may have sustained damage to multiple internal components as well as things like lens mounts and meter couplings. (Lens too, BTW)

Bottom line is that while you probably would not expect to get a dented camera for free, a low price is not an unreasonable expectation. If buying from a dealer, I would insist on a liberal return policy should there be hidden damage.

Steve
01-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
yeah I got out bid anyways, he did have 7 days return. Thanks though, I am keeping my eye out, lost by 15 dollars, shame really, oh well, maybe next time. Probably should save some cash first anyways.

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions.
01-27-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A dent closer to the shutter button can screw up the release by making the button sit at the wrong height (I have a clunker MX with this problem, which might need a new top plate among other things). A small dent in the prism housing, as shown in your photos, shouldn't be a concern.
01-27-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
On another note, how much should I be paying for this camera max if its in good condition, because that one with a dent went up to 135 on Ebay, the one I bid on before that went to 220, I did not know these were in high demand, I notice you can get a pretty great condition K1000 for cheap(For example this one I almost bid on out of aggravation of bidding on a bunch of MX's Pentax K1000 SLR Film Camera 50mm f2 80-200m f4.5 Lens - eBay (item 150552235063 end time Jan-26-11 20:00:17 PST)) I really want a split prism though and the DOF on the MX....

How does the KX compare to the MX?

Last edited by Abstract; 01-27-2011 at 05:45 PM.
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
On another note, how much should I be paying for this camera max if its in good condition, because that one with a dent went up to 135 on Ebay, the one I bid on before that went to 220, I did not know these were in high demand, I notice you can get a pretty great condition K1000 for cheap(For example this one I almost bid on out of aggravation of bidding on a bunch of MX's Pentax K1000 SLR Film Camera 50mm f2 80-200m f4.5 Lens - eBay (item 150552235063 end time Jan-26-11 20:00:17 PST)) I really want a split prism though and the DOF on the MX....

How does the KX compare to the MX?
A good MX would go for $160+ here in the Portland area and over $200 in a shop. A KX would be somewhat less. I paid $125 IIRC for mine, body only in EX+ condition.

Steve
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The SE version of the K 1000 has a slit image focus screen.
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, will keep a look out.

I seem to have won this time! 4th try but seems like this was also the best one I bid on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=2507625864...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Last edited by Abstract; 01-30-2011 at 07:34 PM.
01-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've seen a lot worse at Goodwill, on Ebay etc. That doesn't look like it will pose any serious problems. It's the ones where half the top prism is flattened that you have to worry about. Unbelievably they still try to sell those even though they're usually totally wrecked. I might risk a few $$ on one like that, but any worse? Not likely.