Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Any Pentax like the Nikon FM2?

So I've always wanted the Nikon FM2/FE2/FM3a variant, but would rather have something that works with my lenses. Is there any Pentax like it? 1-1/4000 of a shutter speed, Manual focus, needle metering would be nice, built like a tank (i.e. metal), Depth of field preview, self timer, choice of full manual metering or aperture priority would be cool, manual required. I have a pentax spotmatic F, but would like something compatible with K or KA lenses.

Thanks,
Eric

10-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mudman Quote
So I've always wanted the Nikon FM2/FE2/FM3a variant, but would rather have something that works with my lenses. Is there any Pentax like it? 1-1/4000 of a shutter speed, Manual focus, needle metering would be nice, built like a tank (i.e. metal), Depth of field preview, self timer, choice of full manual metering or aperture priority would be cool, manual required. I have a pentax spotmatic F, but would like something compatible with K or KA lenses.
A Pentax LX does everything you want, except the top shutter speed is 1/2000. It is more on a par with a Nikon F3 in terms of build quality and system features. The LX is probably your best bet in a Pentax manual focus SLR.
10-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The ME super comes close with a better viewfinder.
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Pentax like Nikon FM2

The SF1n has a top shutter speed of 1/4000 second. It is autofocus, but can be used with manual focus lenses. All k-mount lenses work. M42 lenses work with an adapter. Fully manual exposure is available, as is shutter priority, aperture priority, and three modes of fully automatic exposure. No DOF. Meter is LEDs in the viewfinder.

Note that the SF1 and SF10 are similar, but have a top shutter speed of 1/2000 second.

Paul Noble

10-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
The LX sounds like an awesome camera. Noble - the SF1n is too buttony if I can make up a word. I just want a plain jane.
10-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
The LX would be more on par with a F3, but its still a very nice camera.

As for close to an FM/FE series body, the ME Super is close, as is the MX.
10-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although not the same era as an FM2, but just as capable, why not go for a PZ-1 or PZ-1p.

It has full manual controls and can work wit fully manual lenses, has a 1/8000 shutter with 1/250th flash sync, a 3 fps motor drive, TTL flash, Spot, multi segment or center weighted metering......

Plus, if you ever venture there, great autofocus, multiple program modes, and from a controls layout etc is similar to *istD or K10D

It is a great (but modern as opposed to old fashoned) SLR.

Except for interchangeable screens, I would take this over the LX even though the LX is a great camera.
10-10-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Although not the same era as an FM2, but just as capable, why not go for a PZ-1 or PZ-1p.

It has full manual controls and can work wit fully manual lenses, has a 1/8000 shutter with 1/250th flash sync, a 3 fps motor drive, TTL flash, Spot, multi segment or center weighted metering......

Plus, if you ever venture there, great autofocus, multiple program modes, and from a controls layout etc is similar to *istD or K10D

It is a great (but modern as opposed to old fashoned) SLR.

Except for interchangeable screens, I would take this over the LX even though the LX is a great camera.
my problem with that would be the focusing screen. I really want the split screen of an aid with focusing with manual lenses.

10-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
my problem with that would be the focusing screen. I really want the split screen of an aid with focusing with manual lenses.
I guess that is a personal selection, I found it never really hindered me, and with many long lenses (i.e. slower than F/4.0 the things always go dark any way.

Once the eyesight diopter is adjusted correctly a clear image is a clear image.
10-10-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The LX has interchangable focusing screens. Pick whatever focusing or composition aid you may want: micro-prisms, split screen, gridlines, etc. They are easy to change because the viewfinders are also interchangable! You can make it exactly the way you want.

I think it is a shame that he LX was discontinued and Pentax never came out with a comparable system camera to replace it.