Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
SL vs SV clip-on light meters

First post: hello, everyone. I've been a happy M-body series weekend shooter for going on 30 years, but recently I got infected by ancient-body curiosity and obtained a Pentax SL...

Does anyone know whether the SV/S1-2-3 clip-on light-meters fit the Spotmatic/SL/K-series body top? I ask because every clip-on meter I've seen on the market has been for the pre-Spotmatic bodies.

01-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never used one, I shoot my SV using Sunny 16 rule. If you have an iphone there is an Exposure app that can help understand the rules and make quick calculations for you
For some reason I also remember hearing they tend to mark up the body. My SV is in really good shape so I would rather it stayed clean. (if I think light will be really tricky I take a hand held meter)

edit

There is also the old journalistic standby f8 and be there. if you shoot negs there is a ton of latitude (the new portra 400 is apparently really astounding in this regard)

Oh and welcome to the club I just noticed you are a new member.
01-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I know the sunny-16 rule, and also overcast/8, sunset/4, and indoors/2, but after crutching on LED over/under lights since my mid-teens it's quite overwhelming at first to rely on nothing but these guidelines, especially since I always shoot in color. Both film and development have become rather too expensive to waste shots. I wanted the light meter as a backup/check to training the eyes, without having to carry an extra camera around. If a clip-on meter scruffs the camera, maybe I'd rather use a hand-held meter. I know for many of those the selenium sensors have decayed over the years. Do you have any recommendations for or against?
01-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #4

The meters clip on to the slots on either side of the eyepiece, and a pin on the bottom of the shutter speed dial of the meter fits into a slot in the top of the shutter speed dial of the camera. As you turn the meter's dial, it turns the dial of the camera it is coupled to. So if a camera's flash shoe doesn't slide out of the slots, and if its shutter dial doesn't have a slot, it can't use a clip-on meter.

Spotmatics and the K1000 have their meters built in, of course, so a clip-on meter isn't necessary, and they aren't designed to accept one. I've never handled an SL, but photos I've seen of it show the slot in the dial, so apparently it was retrofitted to take the meter.

I had an S1a with a clip-on meter for many years, and although the meter was sometimes handy, I found that it made the camera bulky and clumsy to handle, at least in my hands. It turned out that when I needed a meter I more often used a hand-held one.

01-28-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I use an old minolta lightmeter. have the incident reflected and spot attachments. it's a little bulky but i would think it would be easy to fit in one of the little p/s belt bags that abound for $5-10. I would avoid anything selenium precisely for the reason you stated they have decayed and lost accuracy. you can always test them though and if they are consistently out say one stop it's easy to compensate and still use them. My autometer cost me $75 when i grabbed it (it is an old one, but still pretty accurate.
there should be others in numerous brands (Gossen Luna Pros are quite popular) that are to be had cheaply enough
I still shoot film as well (on rangefinders, old pentaxs and medium format - only one of them actually has a working meter) mostly b/w now, but i always shoot colour first time through any camera i pick up to get back fast cheap results (I can get a roll of 36 processed and scanned for $3 locally)
If I am shooting Slide I always meter, and have taken to using my digital cam as a meter when shooting the medium format - the film processing is just to expensive to waste a shot)
All that being said on the Bronica forum there has been a lot of talk of the new version of Portra and how much exposure latitude it has with good shadow details even over or under 1 ev. One guy even meters for 800 and does straight 400 processing. this kind of latitude make me more comfortable with sunny 16 so I'm going to order some and try it next time I need colour film (I'm loaded down with b/w right now and backlogged on processing it)
01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #6

I have an old Weston Master II that is still accurate, but the numbers are so tiny I have trouble reading it except in the best light. So I went back to the thrift shop and got a Kalimar for a couple of bucks, and it works fine for the times I use the H1a and my meterless rangefinders.
01-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, eddie and nparsons.

01-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
First post: hello, everyone. I've been a happy M-body series weekend shooter for going on 30 years, but recently I got infected by ancient-body curiosity and obtained a Pentax SL...

Does anyone know whether the SV/S1-2-3 clip-on light-meters fit the Spotmatic/SL/K-series body top? I ask because every clip-on meter I've seen on the market has been for the pre-Spotmatic bodies.
I believe that the prism housings are different on the S series and the Spotmatic series.
The SL is basically a Spotmatic without the meter. I'm pretty sure that the clip on meter for the SV/S1-2-3 won't fit. AOCO made a special clip on meter for the SL.
Last year I found a Meter SL and tried it on my SV and it wouldn't fit.
If you google Asahi Meter SL you should be able to find more info.
01-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Swift -- thanks. If the SL meter does not fit the SV, the SV meter should not fit the SL.

Indeed: I've taken a close look at the top views of both cameras (SV here, SL here), and it's obvious the shutter-speed dial is proportionately larger and probably further away from the pentaprism on the SL than on the SV). Based on the kind advice of Eddie and NParsons, I'll go with a hand meter -- thanks all for giving me a few models to consider.

Last edited by asaru; 02-02-2011 at 08:48 AM.
01-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
Swift -- thanks. If the SL meter does not fit the SV, the SV meter should not fit the SL.

Indeed: I've taken a close look at the top views of both cameras (SV here, SL here), and it's obvious the shutter-speed dial is proportionately larger and probably further away from the pentaprism on the SL than on the SV). Based on the kind advice of the Eddie and NParsons, I'll go with a hand meter -- thanks all for giving me a few models to consider.
I love my SV, so I know all about the clip on and using hand held meters but if you are looking to have an on camera meter, why not simply sell the SL for a regular Spotmatic? there is no shortage of Spotmatics at great prices floating around. honestly, unless you really would like to carry an external meter for main metering use (I always advise it of course as a backup) I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t trade up the SL for a Spotmatic. I think for general ease of use in regards to everyday film photography, the Spotmatic just makes so much more sense.
01-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seamuis, I want NOT to meter (at long last), but still to have the option of checking my exposure estimates. The Spotmatic is just like my MX -- OK, it has a needle, not LEDs, but otherwise it's the same. You can't avoid the metering every time you look in the viewfinder.
01-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nparsons13 Quote
. . .
Spotmatics and the K1000 have their meters built in, of course, so a clip-on meter isn't necessary, and they aren't designed to accept one. I've never handled an SL, but photos I've seen of it show the slot in the dial, so apparently it was retrofitted to take the meter.

. . .
The SL was a meterless spotmatic and came with the slotted dial and had a specific optional clip on meter that was different from the ones for the S series cameras. The SL was more or less the replacement for the venerable SV.
02-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

just a note. the clip on meter for my SV uses a mercury battery. Which means I have a non-working meter.
02-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
just a note. the clip on meter for my SV uses a mercury battery. Which means I have a non-working meter.
Plenty of alternatives about now such as the Wein cell (although they are expensive) and other options. Lots on the web about it. I have both my early meters working quite happily (the sort that fit an S1a and a H2).

K.
02-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As Womble says, there are several mercury battery options. Wein cells ($$) work, but hearing aid batteries with a spacer-adapter are equivalent. I have a C.R.I.S. adapter that I use with my old my old cameras.

Steve