Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Are you guys discussing about THE Pentax K-x that is retailing new for around $500 right now? Are the used K-x bodies so cheap? Pardon my ignorance.
No, we are discussing the film KX of 1975-1976. This is the Film SLR forum

01-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

We're in the film section and Don't Know about No K-x --- this is the Pentax KX, from the very first K mount series.
01-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I have two KX bodies and I didn't pay $150 combined. I paid $56, $64.95 after shipping, for a KX with a 55 1.8 that I later sold and thought I overpaid. The second came with an A 50 1.7 and I paid $25, $36.13 after shipping. I will make a profit on that one when I sell the lens.
Now that would be more my speed on these cameras, being a bottom feeder and all. I paid what I did because there it was, sitting in the local camera store looking awfully pretty, with a manual and a case...
01-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
awfully pretty, with a manual and a case...
...and we all know that Jussi is a sucker for manuals...

I know what you mean about bottom feeding and paying premium money for a KX. I really like my KX and don't feel that it was overpriced, but there is a certain satisfaction to paying very little (sub-$40) for very capable and relatively reliable vintage or off-brand gear such as my Ricohs and most M, P, and A body Pentax. It was that same logic that led to my purchase of three FSU rangefinders instead of just doing the logical thing and finding a good Leica M6 somewhere or maybe a new Bessa. The FSU cams are clunky and quirky, but with practice are pretty good tools. Even though I recently went another rung up the ladder to a Canon P (very sweet cam...90% of a Leica M3 at 1/3 the price), I still really like the FED, Zorki, and Kiev. There is a strong and valid case for buying and using that class of gear.

There are so many great cameras that are not the darlings of collectors.

Steve

(May yet pick up a Medalist like yours...heavy, but in an elegant and sophisticated way and the lens and viewfinder/rangefinder...ooolala!)

01-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought the KR5 Super II recently. I feels almost toy like, but I shot a roll of film through it and it seems ok. I've since added an ME Super. Bought them for the split prism focus as I want to do some critical focus shots with B&W film. Having the ME, I doubt that I'll use the Ricoh much now. The meter in the Ricoh is about as primitive as I've seen, has a + and - sign, and thats it. The viewfinder is fairly bright but seems smaller than the ME. For me the largest drawback for the KR5 is the mirror slap/bounce. At 1/15 the darn thing nearly jumps out of my hand.
01-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Clean working KX bodies from reliable sellers generally go for much more than some of the bargains mentioned.
You might get lucky, spotting a diamond in the rough from a seller who doesn't know what they've got,
but like any older Pentax body you should figure into the final cost a CLA by Eric, which will cost you around $80.
If your used body turns out not to require service (not terribly likely for a 35 year-old camera),
or if you are willing to deal with a partially working or unreliable camera you can forego that expense.

When you buy an old camera and spend what is needed to get it working again, it is an investment of value to you as user only,
to gain a reliable picture taking tool, and not one that you can necessarily expect to recoup entirely if you later decide to sell.

We all look for bargains, but I can't believe we are complaining that the value of the KX hasn't reached the level of the bottom feeders yet.
Many users know it is a very desirable model and so its value remains high. There are plenty of other good undervalued Pentax models out there.

We film camera users are spoiled by so much available so cheap.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-30-2011 at 10:44 AM.
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
We film camera users are spoiled by so much available so cheap.
So true! So true!

Steve
01-30-2011, 06:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
The idea that we're spoiled by cheap equipment is entirely true. When I bought my Spotmatic, which was also my first camera, last year I only paid 50$, and that was WITH the Super-Tak 55 1.8, a NOS Pentax Strap, and shipping. After 75 rolls of film and 7 months of service I had it CLA'd for 70$. So it's still cost me much less than my KX. Maybe I'm just spoiled. Anyways, I've ultimately decided against the Ricoh for two reasons
1. It has LED metering. I prefer the needle, it shows EXACTLY how far off I am, and the LEDs drive me CRAZY
2. It has no DOF preview. This would also drive me crazy.

So the KX is staying. I hope someone gets the Ricoh, it deserves a good home (don't all 35mm SLRS?) and I'm sure it's a good user for someone who can cope with the two things mentioned above.

01-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The thing about the KX is that a) it is arguably the best manual Pentax - better built than what came later, and with a fantastic viewfinder - and b) relatively rare as these were sold only for a short period of time.

We are living in a golden era right now, where treasures of the past are still usable but have come down in price and are widely available. I shudder at the time, somewhere in the future, when film becomes a true fringe item, and gradually disappears...