Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #1

How is this price for a 645NII package?

Private party wants to sell a 645 NII body, both 75mm and 45-85mm lenses, adapter for 67 lens, both 220 and 120 film cartridge loaders, extra right angle eyepiece and case....All in perfect working order / Excellent condition. For $700. I am interested in trying out medium format. How is this price and any thoughts?

10-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Seems like a good deal -- check out KEH for comparison, because their prices are fair. They have a number of those cameras right now.

I'm eyeing the regular 645's on KEH. The prices seem ridiculously low. I'm wondering if there are any big issues with these cameras. A 645 and a couple of lenses would be a step up from my Yashica.
10-12-2007, 04:26 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The bodies doen't seem to hold anything like thier original value on Ebay but checking KEH they have a couple for over a grand! Check here:
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductList.aspx?Mode=searchproducts&item=0&A...W=pentax%20645

But the lenses still get a good buck used these days. With all that's included I think it's a good deal. Considering the original cost, there's no shipping or tax and current costs for each piece on Ebay, I think you'd have a hard time assembling the exact same kit for less.
10-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

That's a very good price, go for it!

10-12-2007, 10:31 PM   #5

Original Poster
Follow-up on 645NII package.

I saw all the items today and tried everything at a camera repair store, where I had the party drop it all off for trial. Lenses all very little wear, clean and functioned with camera fine. 2-backs very little wear. Adaptor some wear but fits fine. Camera very clean and very low wear. During camera testing, the camera shut down a number of times. Lost power so that the LCD went off and then after anywhere from several seconds to 1 or 2 minutes, power came back on by itself. Camera had several older lithium batteries mixed in with another brand of lithium I think. Seller said he hasn't used camera in 2 years when it worked fine. Low battery indicator didn't come on at anytime, but I see in instructions that Pentax says "don't mix brands or old with new, replace all at same time". Anything thoughts on this. Could the mixing of batteries actually do this? He is willing to come down in price somewhat because of the potential of repair. Estimate $200-400 by repair shop, IF SOMETHING IS ACTUALLY WRONG. Everything else worked fine, exposure and focus. He originally wanted $700. might come down to 450. or 500. which would cover me in case I really do need repair.
So, what do you think??
Thanks for you advice.
Jonathan
10-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
Follow-up on 645NII package.

By the way, when we tried the camera, we did not have the rear body cap installed if this makes any difference-but we did try it with the 120 insert on.
10-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jljonathan Quote
By the way, when we tried the camera, we did not have the rear body cap installed if this makes any difference-but we did try it with the 120 insert on.
Throw in a set of new batteries. You'll know right away if that's the problem. If not then negotiate the lower price for repair. Either way, sounds like a heck of a deal for that kit. Pentax USA in Colorado supports the 645NII for repairs. I'd use them as a first choice if repairs are needed.
10-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

What BaldEagle said... Bring a new set a batteries and as is so common don't trust the battery meter as they often show full right up till the camera shuts off. I would take this kit without hesitation at the original price if the camera works fine with new batteries and the same if it doesn't at the reduced price. Even if you take it and decide not to keep it you'd make money on Ebay selling each piece seperately (not as a kit). You can't loose!!!

I'd say that there's a 99% chance it's the batteries

Last edited by Peter Zack; 10-13-2007 at 08:02 AM.
10-13-2007, 02:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Now dead 645NII package question

Tried new batteries today and camera worked for awhile, actually had 2 times LCD went blank, and last time ERR came up, but power returned again after I pulled batteries out and put them back in. Then ran it for awhile multiple shots, maybe for 5minutes rapid shooting and it went out again and stayed off. Tried but could not get it to come on again. So, right now it's dead (I don't know that if it sits for awhile if it will come back on again, maybe if it does it's heat related Who knows. That's the situation. Now, would you still take this package (dead camera,lenses, etc, but now for more like $300-400. and I would have to handle a repair that I really don't know what it might cost or even if it can be repaired. Or pass and let him deal with it. What say ye now?
10-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

check the battery terminals - they may be corroded and need to be cleaned off. I'd probabbly buy it for the reduced price, as it seems like you'll be able to get it work for the total price you wanted.