Forum Member

unboxing pentax mx

why can't we have unboxing thread from film camera for once

here it goes

source (more pics)

02-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow very nice, where'd you manage to get that one? Nice hood too, not sure about the never ready case but it looks good
i'm dead envious
02-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very nice! i wonder about the evererady case..is that the original came from teh camera. never saw it before tough.
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

*swoon* continue the strip tease, please

02-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Sweet.

BTW How many teddy bears had to die for that every-ready case (how opulent)?
02-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks guys.. i got it from.. well.. indonesia ^_^

i not sure about the every-ready case btw, can someone expalin this?
02-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

the case on it was known back in the day as a never ready case derisively as they were cumbersome and loading a film was a slow task thanks to first having to remove the camera from the case. also the cover (top of the cases was slow to remove and got in the way (i have never ready cases on a couple of RF's and never have the top part on, just use the bottom as the cameras don't have lugs for a strap.)

02-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

All the attention regarding the case is due to it being unusual, both in terms of condition and the style/materials it is made of. Regardless of whether they are cumbersome or useful, most cases from that era were made of substandard leatherette and have disintegrated. IIRC, a premium glove leather case was available, but those were rarely purchased. Yours appears to be made of sturdy sueded material and is unlike anything that I have seen. What is more, it appears to be genuine Pentax due to the affixed Asahi medallion.

Steve

BTW...While I often use my cameras top-less (without top section of case), I almost always have at least the bottom attached. The case is like the padding that sports players use...protection against the expected. Better to have the case take the bumps than the camera.
02-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Banned

I don’t mean to be a bother, and by the way, nice MX. lovely cameras they are. mine is a true workhorse. (I always kick myself for letting a basically brand new in box black body one get away a few years ago.) but can we get a close up shot of the case? the material used is very strange, I’ve never seen this before, nor have I ever come across any pentax brochures or otherwise advertising such a case. it almost looks like the leatherette surface was removed from the underlying case material of the vinyl, but done very neatly. virtually all the cases offered by pentax also had a name across the front of the lens protrusion on the top piece (embossed into the leatherette surface, or with some sort of attached piece similar to the Asahi logo on the top of the case) that would read ‘Pentax’ or 'Asahi Pentax’, etc. yours has nothing, which leads me to believe that the surface was indeed removed some how.
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

this looks like an aftermarket version of the neverready, there is a metal logo there

Edit, it's the hippie case like the hippie straps i see mentioned
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this looks like an aftermarket version of the neverready, there is a metal logo there

Edit, it's the hippie case like the hippie straps i see mentioned
you are referring to the logo on the left of the top piece? if so, that is actually the Asahi Optical eye and crown logo. used since 1957 with the introduction of the Pentax. (I believe the crown was added in 1958, with the introduction of the Asahi Pentax ‘K’) and was used up until they changed their corporate title to Pentax Corp. it appears on pretty much all soft style leather cases offered, with only a few exceptions along the way, until Asahi Opt. started to phase out the ‘Asahi’ part and just advertised as pentax.
02-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I remember seeing soft cases like this but not specifically pentax models
Someone I know had one on a camera in High School in the mid 70s
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the case on it was known back in the day as a never ready case derisively as they were cumbersome and loading a film was a slow task thanks to first having to remove the camera from the case. also the cover (top of the cases was slow to remove and got in the way (i have never ready cases on a couple of RF's and never have the top part on, just use the bottom as the cameras don't have lugs for a strap.)
neverready ahaha i get it.. maybe thats the reason i don't use the case on my other mx.. took too long to load a film, it provides protection though, but well.. my other mx doesn't really need protection anymore i'm not too comfortable shooting with this one, i'm afraid i'll scratched it

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All the attention regarding the case is due to it being unusual, both in terms of condition and the style/materials it is made of. Regardless of whether they are cumbersome or useful, most cases from that era were made of substandard leatherette and have disintegrated. IIRC, a premium glove leather case was available, but those were rarely purchased. Yours appears to be made of sturdy sueded material and is unlike anything that I have seen. What is more, it appears to be genuine Pentax due to the affixed Asahi medallion.

Steve

BTW...While I often use my cameras top-less (without top section of case), I almost always have at least the bottom attached. The case is like the padding that sports players use...protection against the expected. Better to have the case take the bumps than the camera.
yes, i think it's suede with some kind corduroy with dark blue colored on the interior.. maybe the substandard leatherette comes with first mx with metal memo holder?

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don’t mean to be a bother, and by the way, nice MX. lovely cameras they are. mine is a true workhorse. (I always kick myself for letting a basically brand new in box black body one get away a few years ago.) but can we get a close up shot of the case? the material used is very strange, I’ve never seen this before, nor have I ever come across any pentax brochures or otherwise advertising such a case. it almost looks like the leatherette surface was removed from the underlying case material of the vinyl, but done very neatly. virtually all the cases offered by pentax also had a name across the front of the lens protrusion on the top piece (embossed into the leatherette surface, or with some sort of attached piece similar to the Asahi logo on the top of the case) that would read ‘Pentax’ or 'Asahi Pentax’, etc. yours has nothing, which leads me to believe that the surface was indeed removed some how.
sure, i already took picture of it, but not yet developed, i will post in on a few days.. i have seen the same soft case on the internet, a girl with mx on her neck, but forgot the link
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've got a MX accessories manual, and in the USA this sort of case was not shown. Maybe they sold this style case in e.g. Asia
02-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

if the ad he saw was the pentax girl it would be asia, those were great ads