Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #1
Forum Member
irchan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 55
unboxing pentax mx

why can't we have unboxing thread from film camera for once

here it goes








source (more pics)


02-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
Wow very nice, where'd you manage to get that one? Nice hood too, not sure about the never ready case but it looks good
i'm dead envious
02-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian
fearview's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jakarta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,067
very nice! i wonder about the evererady case..is that the original came from teh camera. never saw it before tough.
02-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
*swoon* continue the strip tease, please

02-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
Simian Summit's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamilton
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 146
Sweet.

BTW How many teddy bears had to die for that every-ready case (how opulent)?
02-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Forum Member
irchan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 55
Original Poster
thanks guys.. i got it from.. well.. indonesia ^_^

i not sure about the every-ready case btw, can someone expalin this?
02-11-2011, 06:38 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
the case on it was known back in the day as a never ready case derisively as they were cumbersome and loading a film was a slow task thanks to first having to remove the camera from the case. also the cover (top of the cases was slow to remove and got in the way (i have never ready cases on a couple of RF's and never have the top part on, just use the bottom as the cameras don't have lugs for a strap.)
02-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,424
All the attention regarding the case is due to it being unusual, both in terms of condition and the style/materials it is made of. Regardless of whether they are cumbersome or useful, most cases from that era were made of substandard leatherette and have disintegrated. IIRC, a premium glove leather case was available, but those were rarely purchased. Yours appears to be made of sturdy sueded material and is unlike anything that I have seen. What is more, it appears to be genuine Pentax due to the affixed Asahi medallion.


Steve


BTW...While I often use my cameras top-less (without top section of case), I almost always have at least the bottom attached. The case is like the padding that sports players use...protection against the expected. Better to have the case take the bumps than the camera.

02-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
I don’t mean to be a bother, and by the way, nice MX. lovely cameras they are. mine is a true workhorse. (I always kick myself for letting a basically brand new in box black body one get away a few years ago.) but can we get a close up shot of the case? the material used is very strange, I’ve never seen this before, nor have I ever come across any pentax brochures or otherwise advertising such a case. it almost looks like the leatherette surface was removed from the underlying case material of the vinyl, but done very neatly. virtually all the cases offered by pentax also had a name across the front of the lens protrusion on the top piece (embossed into the leatherette surface, or with some sort of attached piece similar to the Asahi logo on the top of the case) that would read ‘Pentax’ or 'Asahi Pentax’, etc. yours has nothing, which leads me to believe that the surface was indeed removed some how.
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
this looks like an aftermarket version of the neverready, there is a metal logo there

Edit, it's the hippie case like the hippie straps i see mentioned
02-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #11
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this looks like an aftermarket version of the neverready, there is a metal logo there

Edit, it's the hippie case like the hippie straps i see mentioned
you are referring to the logo on the left of the top piece? if so, that is actually the Asahi Optical eye and crown logo. used since 1957 with the introduction of the Pentax. (I believe the crown was added in 1958, with the introduction of the Asahi Pentax ‘K’) and was used up until they changed their corporate title to Pentax Corp. it appears on pretty much all soft style leather cases offered, with only a few exceptions along the way, until Asahi Opt. started to phase out the ‘Asahi’ part and just advertised as pentax.
02-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
I remember seeing soft cases like this but not specifically pentax models
Someone I know had one on a camera in High School in the mid 70s
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Forum Member
irchan's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indonesia
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the case on it was known back in the day as a never ready case derisively as they were cumbersome and loading a film was a slow task thanks to first having to remove the camera from the case. also the cover (top of the cases was slow to remove and got in the way (i have never ready cases on a couple of RF's and never have the top part on, just use the bottom as the cameras don't have lugs for a strap.)
neverready ahaha i get it.. maybe thats the reason i don't use the case on my other mx.. took too long to load a film, it provides protection though, but well.. my other mx doesn't really need protection anymore i'm not too comfortable shooting with this one, i'm afraid i'll scratched it

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
All the attention regarding the case is due to it being unusual, both in terms of condition and the style/materials it is made of. Regardless of whether they are cumbersome or useful, most cases from that era were made of substandard leatherette and have disintegrated. IIRC, a premium glove leather case was available, but those were rarely purchased. Yours appears to be made of sturdy sueded material and is unlike anything that I have seen. What is more, it appears to be genuine Pentax due to the affixed Asahi medallion.


Steve


BTW...While I often use my cameras top-less (without top section of case), I almost always have at least the bottom attached. The case is like the padding that sports players use...protection against the expected. Better to have the case take the bumps than the camera.
yes, i think it's suede with some kind corduroy with dark blue colored on the interior.. maybe the substandard leatherette comes with first mx with metal memo holder?

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I don’t mean to be a bother, and by the way, nice MX. lovely cameras they are. mine is a true workhorse. (I always kick myself for letting a basically brand new in box black body one get away a few years ago.) but can we get a close up shot of the case? the material used is very strange, I’ve never seen this before, nor have I ever come across any pentax brochures or otherwise advertising such a case. it almost looks like the leatherette surface was removed from the underlying case material of the vinyl, but done very neatly. virtually all the cases offered by pentax also had a name across the front of the lens protrusion on the top piece (embossed into the leatherette surface, or with some sort of attached piece similar to the Asahi logo on the top of the case) that would read ‘Pentax’ or 'Asahi Pentax’, etc. yours has nothing, which leads me to believe that the surface was indeed removed some how.
sure, i already took picture of it, but not yet developed, i will post in on a few days.. i have seen the same soft case on the internet, a girl with mx on her neck, but forgot the link
02-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
I've got a MX accessories manual, and in the USA this sort of case was not shown. Maybe they sold this style case in e.g. Asia
02-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
if the ad he saw was the pentax girl it would be asia, those were great ads
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D7000 First Unboxing videos jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 10-18-2010 08:23 PM
Exciting K-7 unboxing and a possible problem with the new body pasipasi Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 07-26-2009 07:35 PM
Unboxing. With the UPS Whiteboard Guy ryeclifton Post Your Photos! 4 07-09-2009 08:33 PM
K-7 Unboxing (from Amazon) (w/ plenty of pics) arpaagent Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 07-08-2009 07:56 AM
Best unboxing I've ever seen in my life ftpaddict General Talk 10 01-13-2008 04:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top