Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #1

LR44 Blew Up

Figured I'd post this in the film section, since you guys probably have more experience with the LR/SR44 type batteries.

I got a Voigtlander shoe-mounted external light meter for my old rangefinder. I've only used it a couple of times, it seemed to function well. Yesterday I pulled it out for a walkabout and the meter was dead. I thought it might have turned on accidentally in the camera case, so I went to pull the batteries and check the voltages. The battery hatch was jammed shut, and when I got it open the batteries literally popped out.

One of the LR44's is visibly swollen, with the negative terminal pushing past its seals. Luckily it didn't actually explode, and the meter seems undamaged. I'm a little worried about putting a new one in, since it might be the meter itself that caused some sort of short circuit.

Has anyone seen this before, and any guesses as to the cause?

Thanks
Pete

02-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have seen some of the cheap Chinese no-brand batteries fail in a similar fashion.
Good design, materials and quality control cost money. You get what you pay for.

Major brands stand behind their products. If a name brand email the manufacturer.

Chris
02-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use only silver oxide batteries in my cameras and calculators. The batteries in my Pentax ME and HP calculator are over 30 years and are still good. Don't use alkaline, it will affect the metering because the voltage changes.