Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do love a feeling of waiting a pics come alive. But I love digital for it's conviniense. I do think that film it selfd makes me think more about what I'm shooting, and not just P&S. Wich is kind a way I like photograpy. Maybe just that it costs, but also because it takes time!

For now I'm taking time to shoot (with non pentax, oldies, like golf...) 120 film, and see what comes out from that. After that needlepoit cam(i'm not joking). History of photography is thin in front of other artforms...it has had a sertain point of wiev from beginning...it has not changed. But making something alive, wich stays alive atleast next 100 yrs. thats, negative. and photography is about 150 yrs. old invention. so you are back on roots ma'n. I do like idea of that.

Beside that mumbling before, I do like my ME Super, and I just loaded it with film, and I'm waiting for result, eith exitement, as it used to be...I'm still using my K-7 every day.

02-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #62
Veteran Member

just keep in mind that quite a bit of that magic is lost if the photographs are developed only to be poorly scanned and printed on a digital printer
02-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #63
Veteran Member

To be honest for bw id rather wet print
Always looks better than a scan for me
For colour y home scans i treat as proofs
For prining larger ill either go do a hivres scan and have printed on giclee or if its a slide go old school and have a cibachrome done (its got a new name but its still out ther)
02-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #64
Veteran Member

i think you're missing the point

if you have the tools, access, resources, and time, do approach film shooting the old-school way, then go ahead and do it, because it will give you the best results

if you do not have a dark room and your way to get photos from your camera into your hands is to drop it off at a shop, ie, digitizing your negs/slides, then the only thing to keep in mind is the quality of said scan, and that it matters quite a bit of who and how does it.

02-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

so all of my digital pictures that have been printed framed and sold are FAKE...Please don't tell the people that purchased them thanks.
02-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
so all of my digital pictures that have been printed framed and sold are FAKE...Please don't tell the people that purchased them thanks.
Don't worry, your secret is safe with us.
02-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #67

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm loving the answers coming back. Now i would like to ask another question.
When i use film for any type of photography and then have it developed i either have the negatives or the pictures in my hand granted there will be some that are not worth the paper they are printed on. I have seen myself looking back over the pictures that i have done 20-30 years ago and still enjoying them.
With the digital age of cameras i have uploaded many pictures printed only a handful and lost so many to cyber space, also last year my brand new computer decided when i was loading my pictures from my old computer to delete about 40% of my files losing many pictures that meant a lot to me. I let a computer whizz look to see if he could recover the files but they where gone even from the old computer.
Would i have had this problem with film?
Is it better to have the developed product in your hand or on a disk.
Is it better looking back over memories with a computer or film
Which do you honestly prefer.
I am still buying a Pentax K5 in a couple of years as i enjoy both mediums of photography so i'm really not bias.

02-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Snaphappyscottiedog Quote
I'm loving the answers coming back. Now i would like to ask another question.
When i use film for any type of photography and then have it developed i either have the negatives or the pictures in my hand granted there will be some that are not worth the paper they are printed on. I have seen myself looking back over the pictures that i have done 20-30 years ago and still enjoying them.
With the digital age of cameras i have uploaded many pictures printed only a handful and lost so many to cyber space, also last year my brand new computer decided when i was loading my pictures from my old computer to delete about 40% of my files losing many pictures that meant a lot to me. I let a computer whizz look to see if he could recover the files but they where gone even from the old computer.
Would i have had this problem with film?
Is it better to have the developed product in your hand or on a disk.
Is it better looking back over memories with a computer or film
Which do you honestly prefer.
I am still buying a Pentax K5 in a couple of years as i enjoy both mediums of photography so i'm really not bias.
this is the best argument for printing your images. it can be pretty cheap for 4x6 then at least you have a hard copy for posterity if all else goes wrong
mind you i don't do it myself, i just keep meaning to.
I do however backup to an external drive all my raw files, and to DVD
worst case is i'd lose a month at the outside if i am running behind on the backup
02-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Back up and back up (and load the good ones onto an online photo site)

Film does provide a more tangible artifact to save - however, film can be lost (I lost all my negatives from high school and college, when I left my bag in a college darkroom. The following semester the dark room was no more, and my negatives were gone. I was the primary shooter for our yearbook too, so a lot of good pictures are gone) or perish in a fire, due to mold, etc etc.
02-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Back up and back up (and load the good ones onto an online photo site)

Film does provide a more tangible artifact to save - however, film can be lost (I lost all my negatives from high school and college, when I left my bag in a college darkroom. The following semester the dark room was no more, and my negatives were gone. I was the primary shooter for our yearbook too, so a lot of good pictures are gone) or perish in a fire, due to mold, etc etc.
I lost all my pics from the 70's by leaving them stored in my parents basement. my mother threw them all out one spring without calling me
i had a large number of images i'd love to have now (documenting the emergence of the punk music scene in London Toronto and New York. I had pics of almost everyone on stage and more casual shots of a lot of people it would be providing a nice steady income now, friends i know sell images on a regular basis for news articles and quite a number into books
02-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #71
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I lost all my pics from the 70's by leaving them stored in my parents basement. my mother threw them all out one spring without calling me
i had a large number of images i'd love to have now (documenting the emergence of the punk music scene in London Toronto and New York. I had pics of almost everyone on stage and more casual shots of a lot of people it would be providing a nice steady income now, friends i know sell images on a regular basis for news articles and quite a number into books
that really sucks. im very sorry to hear that mate.
02-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #72
Veteran Member

it happens, i was annoyed at the time, but wasn't thinking of their value in the future
(it happened in the mid eighties)
now i just regret not keeping them with me
it just wasn't viable when i put them in storage as i was pretty nomadic at that point.
02-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #73
Inactive Account

Hmm seems almost all my photos thus far have not been real. Could have fooled me :-/
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #74
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Hmm seems almost all my photos thus far have not been real. Could have fooled me :-/
these are feelings and opinions. you make your own, and thats all their is to it. nobody is forcing their ideals and feelings on anyone else. what is real to you is just the same is what is real to others. even if you happen to disagree on the defining idea of ‘real’.
02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #75
Inactive Account

Just seemed a little extreme is all. No offense taken....