Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I've gotten to use a K1000 SE. A friend has one and I like it better than the K1000 he has actually. That screen is very nice indeed. I think you will actually like it once you have it. I've actually been thinking of getting one at some point myself. I think it would make a nice K mount companion for my Spottie.
I guess I can also consider myself special haha....Thanks, I hope so, looks like a nice body.

02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolog Quote
Hmm sounds like I should have gotten a KX, oh well to late, hope I do some good with this one....
Well, here's a tidbit of heresy. Owning a KX and a K1000SE, I prefer the K1000SE.

That could have something to do with the fact that I'm left-eye dominant, and the KX wants to poke the film advance lever in the right eye if the left eye is on the viewfinder. (Unless you push the lever in and turn off the meter before composing.)
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
Well, here's a tidbit of heresy. Owning a KX and a K1000SE, I prefer the K1000SE.

That could have something to do with the fact that I'm left-eye dominant, and the KX wants to poke the film advance lever in the right eye if the left eye is on the viewfinder. (Unless you push the lever in and turn off the meter before composing.)
Guessing the viewfinder is just as good then, thats where it counts most to me
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I personally own a KX so am not looking for a K1000--but KX usually go for twice as much $ as that K1000 (which BTW looks great!)...but not worth it if you just want the essentials--not to be confused with 'beginner'. I don't think that the K1000 is more of a beginner's camera--it's a fully manual camera so you need to know what you're doing. It's just lacking some of the 'extras'.

One K1000 oddity is that there is no power switch/shutter lock. The meter is live if the lens cap is off.

02-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #20

Original Poster
So I was looking at his other auctions and now I am thinking the mirror foam is bad. Look:

One I bought:

Similar one:

Sluggo I know you said the picture confirmed the mirror faom being ok but why does the other one look MUCH better....Should I be worried?

Last edited by photolog; 02-15-2011 at 12:48 AM.
02-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Nobody "should" worry about anything.

Again, the foam looks okay to me, and with a reputable seller with saying so, it probably will be just fine. Of course there are few certainties on ebay and you can't always tell from a picture. If you don't like the foam, it's pretty simple to deal with - much easier than most internal repairs anyway.
02-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #22

Original Poster
Ahh ok, well thats good, I am not to good with dealing with things such as that so I sure hope so. Just was wondering why it looked so different. If by any chance it needs replacing, how much would a place like B&H or Adorama charge?
02-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Ahh ok, well thats good, I am not to good with dealing with things such as that so I sure hope so. Just was wondering why it looked so different. If by any chance it needs replacing, how much would a place like B&H or Adorama charge?
I would reccomend sending your Pentax camera to Eric for any work.

Home

Phil.

02-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #24

Original Poster
To be honest I rather get it done local at a place like B&H or Adorama, would he be much cheaper? Again this is just in case the foam is bad which it might not be, maybe I can get a few years out of the current stuff hopefully.

I emailed him, he said it should be replaced in 2-3 years so it seems I will be fine though. Thanks.

Last edited by photolog; 02-15-2011 at 01:13 PM.
02-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #25

Original Poster
Well I got it, I have a question, there is no mirror foam in the back, only on the mirror. Also the bottom part of the camera goes in a tiny bit when pressed(Slightly loose). I did try to tighten it, had a little effect but not totally fixed.

Is this bad?
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

This is my problem with flee bay Ex+ should not need tightening... I will look unless someone beats me to it, about the foam. Have you run a roll through it yet?
02-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #27

Original Poster
Well since I have not developed in such a long time I messed up the first development but I shot my friend on campus right after and developed those, they are still at my school drying off(Had to leave, photolab was closing). They looked fine but I would need to look them over a bit better. Again being no foam I am not hopeful.

Yeah I know, not sure if the looseness is an issue(Its very little, like you need to look close to notice it.), but I feel like since this guy said it did not need foam I got a little screwed on that end of things, I am tight on money(Aren't we all haha) and even that 10 dollars for new foam is irritating me right now.
02-17-2011, 03:40 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most craft stores have foam sheets for like $1 a pack. (It's often called Foamies.) So do Walmart, Target, etc. I actually took the black craft foam and did the light seals on two of my cameras and it worked really great. You can use a slanted wooden nail stick from the drug store (In cosmetics, by the nail polishes. Usually you can buy a couple in a pack for less than a buck.) to scrape out the guck. All you need other than that is some contact cement or glue or something similar and some kind of solvent to clean out the grooves when you are done scraping. Some people use lighter fluid, but I think a bit of alcohol on a Q tip works just fine. Light seals are not that hard to do really. It's just the cutting the strips that can be a bit tricky and that gets easier as you go along I've found. The first camera I did it took me an hour, but the second took half that because by then I'd pretty much figured it all out.
02-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #29

Original Poster
Well that is good to know, sounds easy enough, my only other issue is the bottom plate moving...Is that even fixable? I really need to know now since he only allows 3 day returns(Which is ridiculous I think, 7 would be more fair)
02-18-2011, 04:04 AM   #30
Banned

Well that is good to know, sounds easy enough, my only other issue is the bottom plate moving...Is that even fixable? I really need to know now since he only allows 3 day returns(Which is ridiculous I think, 7 would be more fair)
im not sure about the bottom plate. mind taking some photos for us to see? as for the mirror foam and possibly light seals, there is no better option: interslice items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo items on eBay.com! he’s the best and for good reason.