Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #31

Original Poster
Honestly it would be to hard to see in a photo, it just goes in a tiny bit when pushed, might be normal for this model, I am not sure.

(also the light foam is in the back but it is very old looking, it comes off like an oil/goo substance if I touch it and its hard to see(Very small and little of it)

Last edited by photolog; 02-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.
02-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by photolog Quote
Honestly it would be to hard to see in a photo, it just goes in a tiny bit when pushed, might be normal for this model, I am not sure.

(also the light foam is in the back but it is very old looking, it comes off like an oil/goo substance if I touch it and its hard to see(Very small and little of it)
you would be smart to either buy one of the ready made seal kit replacement kits from interslice or biting the bullet and having it CLA’d. sometime soy get lucky and eBay gives you a camera in great shape, but you should for your own sake always consider that any camera you buy may need a CLA and should count that in purchase cost. its a headache saver down the road for sure.
02-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you would be smart to either buy one of the ready made seal kit replacement kits from interslice or biting the bullet and having it CLA’d. sometime soy get lucky and eBay gives you a camera in great shape, but you should for your own sake always consider that any camera you buy may need a CLA and should count that in purchase cost. its a headache saver down the road for sure.
So I am guessing the back park is a little lose(goes in and out a tiny bit) because of the old light seals correct? Just trying to understand this all, sorry for all the questions.
02-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I am guessing the back park is a little lose(goes in and out a tiny bit) because of the old light seals correct? Just trying to understand this all, sorry for all the questions.
That would be a good and likely explanation!

Steve

02-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #35

Original Poster
Well thats a relief, it does not seem to be so bad, its working fine, Just developed some prints, I will replace it when I can though, thanks a lot!
02-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think you're on the right track. If it's working, don't worry TOO much, but have everything checked out and adjusted when time and finances allow. My Spotmatic is my main camera, and I shot with it steady for about 4-5 months before I had it CLA'd. It was good before. It's perfect now.
02-26-2011, 03:01 AM   #37

Original Poster
Well a little chunk of the mirror foam popped off today...and I cannot seem to get rid of the specs in the viewfinder no matter how much I use the blower(I am a little OCD about these things). They are near the bottom and in the split prism area. I cleaned the bottom of the mirror with some Lens cleaner which got rid of any on the top(I was careful, no scratching happened).

Not sure even if its safe to use it now...The guy gave me a 5 dollar partial refund to help pay for the new seals though, that was very nice of him, so I am probably go with interslice but it seems they are out of k1000 seal kits atm.

I tried blowing at both the mirror and sensor....btw. I think its on the sensor which I cannot touch if I am correct.

Last edited by photolog; 02-26-2011 at 01:18 PM.
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #38
Banned

Well a little chunk of the mirror foam popped off today...and I cannot seem to get rid of the specs in the viewfinder no matter how much I use the blower(I am a little OCD about these things). They are near the bottom and in the split prism area. I cleaned the bottom of the mirror with some Lens cleaner which got rid of any on the top(I was careful, no scratching happened).

Not sure even if its safe to use it now...The guy gave me a 5 dollar partial refund to help pay for the new seals though, that was very nice of him, so I am probably go with interslice but it seems they are out of k1000 seal kits atm.

I tried blowing at both the mirror and sensor....btw. I think its on the sensor which I cannot touch if I am correct.
your K1000 has no sensor. if particles are stuck in the viewfinder, they could be actually caught in the split prism. honestly, I would learn to overlook them. very few Pentax bodies have ever had interchangeable finders/screens so removing the screens and cleaning them is a real hassle and something I wouldn’t recommend you do yourself. (this is a reason I like the regular micro-prism screens more than split-image) stuff gets stuck there. it happens. just like dust gets on a digital SLR’s sensor. it happens. good news is, your crud in the viewfinder wont hurt anything. it will be easier and much cheaper to simply ignore them, so I advise to do that. if they are big, obstructing view or simply more than you can ignore, your only real bet is to get it professionally serviced and have the viewfinder cleaned. but that will be more than you probably paid for the body, and more than its likely worth to you. but its an option.

03-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I would fix the foam before using the camera much more. I've broken two bodies (not K1000, though) by using them after the mirror stuck up in the liquified goo that was mirror foam. Money is dearer to some than others, but the ~$70 Eric will charge to refoam, reseal and CLA this body would be well worth it to me.
02-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #40

I love the K1000 SE!

I have to admit.... I just purchased my 4th K1000 SE on ebay. Three are the "brown leatherette" edition and all take great shots. My first K1KSE was purchased in 1980 and I regrettably sold it for a point and shoot! (What was I thinking???) The 4th is late model (China/metal) black K1KSE, but it doesn't have the 3rd, wide collar band around the microprism collar and I find it harder to focus. Could be my 50-year-old eyes....

I don't mind that there is no DOF -- I never used it on my P3n. I love the needle meter and the fact that it is always "on" and ready to take the shot, so having no on/off switch is a plus in my mind.

I especially like the new films available - and I always get optical prints (from Blue Moon Camera in Oregon) in addition to a high res scan. Best of both worlds!

Enjoy your new gem!