Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Just won a K1000 SE, Is this a good camera?

Well I use to have a MX but it had an accident a while back and I basically have been using a K10D since, now I heard of this being a beginners camera but to what extent? What am I missing, one of the things I loved was the split frame focusing unit and I read this one has that. Also was 57 dollars USD reasonable for a mint copy of it which I am hoping will not need any work done?

Here is the camera: Asahi Pentax K1000 SE K-Mount SLR Camera Body - Exc+ - eBay (item 220735896408 end time Feb-13-11 16:12:20 PST)

02-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IF it doesn't need work that is a high, but fair price. But I would say worth it... again if it is in need of no work.

It is a beginners camera, because there is only one type of meter, focus, ect... but it is a great solid camera, and if the batteries ever die you can just eyeball the exposure and go to town. When my batteries died in my MZ-S I needed to wait till I found more to finish the roll...

They are a brick, solid and each one has a quirk... but I still use my late fathers camera from time to time and it does me no wrong...
02-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use a pair of VERY similar cameras, a Spotmatic and a KX. They're solidly built and very functional. That's about going rate for a K1000, now you just need a good lens to pair it with! The main difference between the KX and the K1K is that the KX has DOF preview, mirror lock up, and a meter switch. The Spottie is basically an M42 KX. All of the Spotmatic/K series are good cameras, the K1000 should have the same build quality and fine ergonomics, only being a beginners camera in that the meter is always on (don't lose your lens cap!) and that it has no DOF preview or MLU. Still, a fine camera that will serve you well. As long as you don't lose your lens cap.
I find that the bodies from the Spotmatic and K series have beautiful ergonomics, and I find the needle-based meter to be much less obtrusive, and more useful, than LED meters. The needle tells you EXACTLY how far off you are. LEDs do not. Enjoy your K1K, with a good 55mm and a good roll of film a halfway decent photographer and his K1K can take on the world.
02-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Looks good to me, especially since the seals and mirror foam are supposed to be in good shape (based on seller's description; one of the pictures seems to confirm that w/regard to the mirror foam). If all the shutter speeds work, you probably have a winner.

It's mostly similar to the MX in operation, a little bigger in your hands and a little more durable, missing a couple of the MX's features but those might be nonessentials for you.

A lot of us really enjoy shooting with the K1000, either as a primary camera, or as a change of pace.

02-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

It's a SERIOUS beginner's camera. But a very beautiful one, like everything Asahi Optical Company made. Have it checked out for a possible overhaul, just in case -- and fire away!
02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hmm sounds good if its like a MX. Not sure if I ever used mirror lock up or meter switch(???). Also not so sure of the advantages of DOF preview, thats basically a button to open the lens up all the way right? I remember doing that just by going to the lenses limits(Ex: 2.8) and then back up to the aperture I was gonna shoot at(Ex:16) aperture and taking the shot.
02-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolog Quote
Hmm sounds good if its like a KX(which from what I read is a bigger MX). Not sure if I ever used mirror lock up or meter switch(???). Also not so sure of the advantages of DOF preview, thats basically a button to open the lens up all the way right? I remember doing that just by going to the lenses limits(Ex: 2.8) and then back up to the aperture I was gonna shoot at(Ex:16) aperture and taking the shot.
I just meant the meter turns on and off, rather than drawing from the battery constantly. The Spotties have a real on-off switch, on most of the later cameras the meter switches on when you pull the advance lever.

DOF preview CLOSES the lens to the aperture you're going to shoot at, showing exactly what your depth of field and focus will be. The K1000 has no option to do this, which is why I prefer the KX.

MLU is not really essential, I rarely use it. You aren't missing much there.
Congratulations on your camera. I'd be interested to know what lens you pair it with.
02-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

All the K and M bodies have full-aperture composition and metering, but you can stop down to check the DOF on the K1000 by a little trick: release the lens and twist it a little less than a 1/4 turn (so that it doesn't disengage). Just remember to lock it back in place before releasing the shutter.

Size and heft-wise the K1000 is exactly a KX, which is basically a Spottie. The MX (my fave) is smaller, but it sounds as though you prefer a slightly bigger camera.

There are several features the MX has the K1000 has not, but the biggies are the self-timer, the dedicated DOF preview, and the viewfinder that displays aperture and shutter speed. The MX over/under-exposure LEDs are essentially equivalent to the K needle metering.

02-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I just meant the meter turns on and off, rather than drawing from the battery constantly. The Spotties have a real on-off switch, on most of the later cameras the meter switches on when you pull the advance lever.

DOF preview CLOSES the lens to the aperture you're going to shoot at, showing exactly what your depth of field and focus will be. The K1000 has no option to do this, which is why I prefer the KX.

MLU is not really essential, I rarely use it. You aren't missing much there.
Congratulations on your camera. I'd be interested to know what lens you pair it with.
Hmm Odd about the DOF thing, I have always gotten good depth of field just by eye, is this really considered a big feature( I mean no bad by this, Just curious). I mean I have never noticed this on my DSLR also...I have katzeye in it so not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited by photolog; 02-13-2011 at 09:39 PM.
02-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by photolog Quote
Well I use to have a MX but it had an accident a while back and I basically have been using a K10D since, now I heard of this being a beginners camera but to what extent? What am I missing, one of the things I loved was the split frame focusing unit and I read this one has that. Also was 57 dollars USD reasonable for a mint copy of it which I am hoping will not need any work done?

Here is the camera: Asahi Pentax K1000 SE K-Mount SLR Camera Body - Exc+ - eBay (item 220735896408 end time Feb-13-11 16:12:20 PST)
Don't forget that the SE has a split-image focusing screen.
02-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
All the K and M bodies have full-aperture composition and metering, but you can stop down to check the DOF on the K1000 by a little trick: release the lens and twist it a little less than a 1/4 turn (so that it doesn't disengage). Just remember to lock it back in place before releasing the shutter.

Size and heft-wise the K1000 is exactly a KX, which is basically a Spottie. The MX (my fave) is smaller, but it sounds as though you prefer a slightly bigger camera.

There are several features the MX has the K1000 has not, but the biggies are the self-timer, the dedicated DOF preview, and the viewfinder that displays aperture and shutter speed. The MX over/under-exposure LEDs are essentially equivalent to the K needle metering.
The Spotmatic, K1000 and KM are similar. The KX is a different beast; it has a totally different metering system, a meter on/off switch, double the ISO range, SPD photo sensing element, mirror lock-up, "judas window", shutter lock, memo holder, uses two batteries and has a silver coated pentaprism.

Phil
02-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #12

^The KX and the K1000 are similar in tactile feel, which is all I meant. The rest of my comparison was with the controls of the MX.
02-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #13

Original Poster
Hmm sounds like I should have gotten a KX, oh well to late, hope I do some good with this one....
02-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've gotten to use a K1000 SE. A friend has one and I like it better than the K1000 he has actually. That screen is very nice indeed. I think you will actually like it once you have it. I've actually been thinking of getting one at some point myself. I think it would make a nice K mount companion for my Spottie.
02-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
^The KX and the K1000 are similar in tactile feel, which is all I meant. The rest of my comparison was with the controls of the MX.
Yes for sure, all the K series bodies are similar in size, feel & looks. The exception would be the later made in China K1000's, which dropped a lot of weight do to all the plastic parts.

Phil.