02-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Picture of a famous Nikon F that "took a bullet" during the Vietnam War:

The Telegraph: Shaped by War

Chris

02-21-2011, 06:16 PM   #62

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
I have a K1000 and a Yashica Mat 124 TLR, but I'm not so keen on either (they also neither of them work that well). I miss the metal film winder crank from my old Spotmatic, the Yashica Mat feels delicate, and I'm lusting after a Leica I can't afford. I wonder: what is are some of the best-built film SLRs out there? The Spotmatic SPII I used to own is the best I've handled, but I'm sick of buying duds (it's happened too often for my college student budget) and I hope to get a beautifully built camera next.

In short: is there an SLR out there with build quality like—or even near to—a Leica's?
I love that everyone goes right to the LX given the information in the original post. Good luck finding an LX for under $300, even one that needs repairs. My favorite mechanical wonder of a camera is definately my SV. If you are limited to K-Mount, I adore the MX. They seem to be easier to find these days than KX's as well.
02-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
I adore the MX. They seem to be easier to find these days than KX's as well.
I think that reflects the sales numbers for the KX. The MX was a much more popular camera.

Steve
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I adore the MX. They seem to be easier to find these days than KX's as well.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think that reflects the sales numbers for the KX. The MX was a much more popular camera.
Steve
Speaking of KX, I just bought one two weeks ago, body is in good condition, and meter and shutter speed seems in good working order. It is now with Eric for CLA and I should have it back in couple of weeks.

David

02-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Speaking of KX, I just bought one two weeks ago, body is in good condition, and meter and shutter speed seems in good working order. It is now with Eric for CLA and I should have it back in couple of weeks.

David
Looks like you are hooked. My work is done

Steve
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Looks like you are hooked. My work is done

Steve
Haha, Yes, I blame all on you my friend!!

David
02-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #67
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Picture of a famous Nikon F that "took a bullet" during the Vietnam War:

The Telegraph: Shaped by War

Chris
I'm pretty sure there was a forum member whose Spotmatic took a bullet in Vietnam.
02-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #68

Original Poster
Is it possible to have an SV's focusing screen changed out to split-image focus? I've never been a big fan of the ones that get "sparkly" when they're almsot in focus.

02-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I love that everyone goes right to the LX given the information in the original post. Good luck finding an LX for under $300, even one that needs repairs. My favorite mechanical wonder of a camera is definately my SV. If you are limited to K-Mount, I adore the MX. They seem to be easier to find these days than KX's as well.
I just bought one off ebay 2 weeks ago for $255 from Adorama. Maybe I just got lucky? it does seem to need servicing, but I have put a roll of film through it that came out just fine.

Pentax LX Camera with Dial Data LX and FA 1 Finder - eBay (item 360342565220 end time Feb-13-11 19:08:40 PST)
02-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Little late to this thread but better late than never. I haven't used a lot of Nikon or Canon cameras but those I've handled (A1, F3) were very nice.

The LX tops my list of Pentax cameras in terms of construction and feel. Too bad about that sticky mirror issue. The K2 gets the nod (slightly) over the MX for cameras I own and have used a lot. I find the MX a little too small but it has worked flawlessly for me since 1982 so how can I complain? The K2 is a perfect fit for my hand wth as smooth a shutter as you are likely to find. ASA setting issues aside it is a great camera with a battleship build.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 02-28-2011 at 12:05 PM.