Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Not Registered

PZ-1/ PZ-1p user guide

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi there,

I want to upgrade my K1000 and I am in the market for an used Pz-1/1p. I have seen some at a reasonable price and I will probably pull the trigger but I would like to know first where can I find an user guide (free, if it is possible...I am so cheap!!!). The other thing is that since I never owned a PZ- I do not know which batteries it uses. May you help with this? Any extra-advice will be wellcome.

Thank you in advance

BTW if somebody wants to sell that camera at a reasonable price do not hesitate to send me a PM.

10-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Hi there,

I want to upgrade my K1000 and I am in the market for an used Pz-1/1p. I have seen some at a reasonable price and I will probably pull the trigger but I would like to know first where can I find an user guide (free, if it is possible...I am so cheap!!!). The other thing is that since I never owned a PZ- I do not know which batteries it uses. May you help with this? Any extra-advice will be wellcome.

Thank you in advance

BTW if somebody wants to sell that camera at a reasonable price do not hesitate to send me a PM.
you can download the PZ-1P manual from pentax website. If you need PZ1, perhaps I can scan mine.

PZ-1 uses 2CR5 battery, not sure if PZ-1p uses same.

Camera is a great film SLR and will use everything you used with your K1000 .
10-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you can download the PZ-1P manual from pentax website. If you need PZ1, perhaps I can scan mine.

PZ-1 uses 2CR5 battery, not sure if PZ-1p uses same.

Camera is a great film SLR and will use everything you used with your K1000 .
Thank you, I downloaded the guides for both cameras from Pentax Imaging. I was googling for them instead of going to the right source (when will I learn that google does not solve everything?). It has been really nice from you to offer to scan the guide, I am glad I did not have to ask you for it (the 120ish page-guide is quite a lot)

If I finally get it I will keep one of my K1000 (I am quite a sentimental and my girlfriend just love the camera-case combo)

Thank you again

PS Just for the records, both cameras use the same type of batteries.
10-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad to be of help.

re your old body, I still have my MX, it survives for only 1 purpose. Out of all my cameras, it is the only one that does not require a battery except for the light meter, and I have a passive (no batteries) reflective light meter as back up.

The old mechanical cameras are almost indestructable.

10-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

The old mechanical cameras are almost indestructable.
The original K1000 from what I learnt photography in my first year of University still working flawlessly 15 years later after being used-misused by hundreds of students (including myself)
10-15-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
Inactive Account

PZ1-p Camera & manual

Hi there,

Thank you in advance

Have had Z-1p with full kit, since 1996 -"camera of the Year" 1995. Good luck with your search
10-17-2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I got lucky on ebay with a PZ-1p kit: eBay.ca: Pentax PZ-1P 35mm Film Camera + 4 Lenses Bag & Filters! (item 190160054686 end time 12-Oct-07 13:00:06 EDT) Keep looking, you never know what'll turn up! Craigslist is also a good place to scout around too.

10-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
I got lucky on ebay with a PZ-1p kit: eBay.ca: Pentax PZ-1P 35mm Film Camera + 4 Lenses Bag & Filters! (item 190160054686 end time 12-Oct-07 13:00:06 EDT) Keep looking, you never know what'll turn up! Craigslist is also a good place to scout around too.
Thanks for the advice. I did try several times (I tried a low ball with the item you won) but I have been "snipped" several times. I am already buying one PZ1 from 1 of the members of the forum. Thank you again and enjoy your combo, looks really nice.
10-17-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice. I did try several times (I tried a low ball with the item you won) but I have been "snipped" several times. I am already buying one PZ1 from 1 of the members of the forum. Thank you again and enjoy your combo, looks really nice.

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting to win. I put in my max bid and then I had to go to work. There's no way for me to monitor the bid at work, as I don't have access to the internet at work. Several times in the past, I put in a max bid, went to work, and didn't win the item.

Also, I wasn't expecting the guy's reserve to be so low... 200ish is a rather low reserve for the whole deal. I was more expecting in the 3-500 range...
10-18-2007, 05:03 AM   #10
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting to win. I put in my max bid and then I had to go to work. There's no way for me to monitor the bid at work, as I don't have access to the internet at work. Several times in the past, I put in a max bid, went to work, and didn't win the item.

Also, I wasn't expecting the guy's reserve to be so low... 200ish is a rather low reserve for the whole deal. I was more expecting in the 3-500 range...
I think the guy get tired to post the same over and over, when I bidded the maximum bidder ended up close to 300 so it makes me think that the original reserve was higher. For what you paid, that set was an absolute steal
10-21-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FYI to all :

You can order a printed manual from Pentax for 6 USD - shipped - for many cameras . Yes , you can download it for free but to print it out and carry it with you is too much ( in PZ-1P case 130+ pages ) .
11-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just an update to the whole saga of the PZ-1p. Got it love it. Flash spring is busted (and with no parts to repair it too, according to the tech), but I think I can modify the camera body so that I can put in a key lock so the flash stays popped up. What is bugging me, though, is the auto exposure when either I have the flash popped up or have my flash (400FTZ) attached to the hot shoe. My other camera, a SF-1N would, with the FA 50 1.4, select a shutter speed of 1/60 with a aperature of 3.5-4. When I switch to the PZ-1p (and the same lens, and flash) I get a selection of 1/30 with an aperature of 1.4. Long story short, what give? Shouldn't I get the exact same exposure solution given the identicle shot setup? The shot was of my MP3 player on my dining room table with the overhead light on.
11-06-2007, 05:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it depends upon the mode selection. Some cameras, and I forget when this happened in the product line (i.e. mopdle release) , attempt to shoot in auto mode by making the exposure correct for available light.

Not being a great Auto mode user, I always used the PZ-1 in manual, and set the shutter up to 1/150 or higher (note it will do 1/250)

I shoot the same way now with my DSLRs, always setting shutter and apature manually, looking at the exposure in the view finder, until I get the amount of flash I want.
11-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Inactive Account

i wanna buy a pentax film camera for complete my experiences with my pentax k10d.
i wanna search for pz-1p i n markets. so diffficult to find it but i will try more. do u tink pz-1p is best pentax film camera or u recoomend another one?
11-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There's also the MZ-S. But I've tried out various MZ (not the S), and I didn't like how they fit in my hands. The PZ, and SF series fit very very nicely in my hands. Almost as if pentax used my hands as the base for the shape of the grip.