Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*ist Black Body

Simple question: did Pentax make the 35mm *ist in a black body?

I only ever see the silver. Even though a silver *ist would match my silver *ist DL, I am interested in finding a black body. (It would go with the black Spotmatic F!)

10-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...and an off-topic follow-up: can you buy the *ist, silver or otherwise, ANYWHERE? I've been looking everywhere and no one seems to sell them, new or used.
10-15-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Inactive Account

filmamigo... no, sorry, I believe it was only made in silver.

Finn... yes, it is possible to find used... I've seen it go on Pentax user forums and on eBay, as well as occassionally from second-hand camera dealers and in shops. I got mine from an eBay seller (UK) who was listing it at quite a fair Buy It Now price with a Best Offer option... I ended up paying £70, which is very reasonable indeed considering that K1000s often sell for over £50. Unfortunately you don't see them very often though, unless you happen to be quite actively looking for them. My advice would be to post a few WTBs on various forums and keep checking eBay.

By the way, I really like it and recommend it if you can find it for a good price. Seems to me it was quite an advance for Pentax in terms of auto features, and was completely different from the previous MZ cameras. A shame they stopped making 35mm cameras as it would have been interesting to see an *ist 2.
My only complaints: Viewfinder a bit small and dark compared to most Pentaxes, frame rate of 2.5fps not too impressive... its small size is obviously a benefit for some situations, but it can become uncomfortable for long shooting sessions (due to the closeness of the controls and the size in general; I find my fingers too closely squashed together, except for the little one which has nowhere to go at all). For long lenses or long periods of use I suspect the battery grip would help a lot. But as it is, because of the size and the similarities with the *Ist and K100d models, it's great as a little film camera which you can include in a mostly digital kit.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 10-15-2007 at 05:59 PM.
10-16-2007, 04:50 AM   #4

I noticed this one on the local list. It's not mine just remembered seeing it.

Pentax ist*+ Grip + Tokina 19-35

11-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fastoys2nv Quote
I noticed this one on the local list. It's not mine just remembered seeing it.

Pentax ist*+ Grip + Tokina 19-35
Yep, it's definitely possible to find the camera. I've seen a couple show up on eBay.

I have that exact combination set up right now, except that I have the Promaster version of the lens. It's my cheap ultra wide angle solution until I get a DA 12-24mm.