One quick question about MZ-S

Does it take DA lens ?
Can I use AV mode ?
Thanks !

02-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, you can't enter AV mode as you need to be able to move the aperture ring to do that. Also, remember that DA lenses don't cover the FF format (except for the 40mm).

The PZ-1 supports AV mode on DA lenses as it has two scroll wheels.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nannankevin Quote
Does it take DA lens ?
Can I use AV mode ?
Thanks !
1. your DA lenses will work yes. not all of them will completely cover the full film frame, as they are not intended for use on 35mm film. the longer the focal length the more likely it will cover the full frame. the wider the more it will vignette.
2.yes
02-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No, as you need to be able to use the aperture ring to do that (I think). Also, remember that DA lenses don't cover the FF format (except for the 40mm).
why would a DA lens not be able to use Av mode on an MZ-S? it will communicate just the same as any manual lens with the ‘A’ setting on the aperture ring will it not? im confused on this. im sure any DA lens will be able to take advantage of Av mode.

02-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Right, but on the MZ-S, you have to use the aperture ring to enter Av Mode. The scroll wheel is only for shutter speed.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
Banned

Right, but on the MZ-S, you have to use the aperture ring to enter Av Mode. The scroll wheel is only for shutter speed.
but isn’t a DA lens basically like a lens thats permanently on the ‘A’ setting? you have an MZ-S yes, so you can try? im still a bit confused, because the lens would have to be on the ‘A’ setting anyway to use any program AE mode would it not? or does the MZ-S do Av like the older manual cameras such as say an ME super?
02-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, it can sense the aperture based on the aperture ring position. It isn't "crippled".

Adam

02-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Banned

Yes, it can sense the aperture based on the aperture ring position. It isn't "crippled".
shows how little I know of the contemporary Pentax film cameras.
02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On MZ-S and MZ-5N, you need to turn aperture ring to set Av mode. On MZ-6, you can use in-body control to set Av.
02-27-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
On MZ-S and MZ-5N, you need to turn aperture ring to set Av mode. On MZ-6, you can use in-body control to set Av.
Think of the MZ-6 as a cheap alternative to the MZ-S. It doesn't have the 2 second MLU, the viewfinder is dimmer, and the optional AA battery pack FG is not as useful as the MZ-S' (but at least one is available). These are the only functional disadvantages. The MZ-6/ZX-L has DOF preview as well, which I find to be a very useful feature.

The MZ-6 has 2 advantages over the MZ-S. Firstly, as mentioned, you can control the aperture through the body. Secondly, you can set the camera to spot meter by just hitting the AE-L button and it will then reset itself back to matrix metering. On the MZ-S you have to remember to turn a switch to take the camera off spot meter mode, and I've wasted many a shot on the MZ-S because I've forgotten this.
02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Don't forget about the data imprint feature, too! (or does the MZ-6 have it as well?)

Adam

02-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget about the data imprint feature, too! (or does the MZ-6 have it as well?)
Good point. Another +1 advantage for the MZ-S. I didn't think about it because I take hand written notes of all my pictures, so I don't use this feature.