Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

leather case won't fit KX

After buying a used KX like I had when I was in high school, I had to get the original SMC 1.4 lens, which I recently bought online at a very reputable store (very happy with it).

Now, the leather camera case that fit fine with the 50mm M series f2.0, won't fit with this slightly longer wider lens. The front part of the case will not go all the way over the front and snap.

Help! Or did I just buy a lens that will not fit with leather cases for the KX film slr?

Is there a case that fits for the original (I think the original used the 52 mm lends caps).

02-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've still got my Pentax KX from 1975 and the original lens case, which fits the KX and the 55mm f1.8 lens and I never had any problems with getting the soft case around the camera and lens. The 50mm f1.4 is not much different in size.

Pentax did make different sized fronts for their soft cases. Maybe you have a smaller front case. Alternatively you might have a case for the similarly sized K1000 which may have a shorter front case for the M lenses they were selling with the K1000 then.

I'd suggest you look on eBay for a Pentax soft case for the KX.

Regards

Chris Stone
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks Chris. I am sure this is what I have. the soft case, but it may be for the K1000 with m lens.
02-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by cadiddy Quote
thanks Chris. I am sure this is what I have. the soft case, but it may be for the K1000 with m lens.
this is likely what I am thinking. the K1000 was sold for so long that there are probably more of these everready cases out there designed for the K1000 and 50mm 2.0 lens than any of the other K series cameras and K lenses. but what intrigues me, is that why would pentax create a smaller case for the K1000 and smaller lens when it would have been cheaper to just keep making the same size case to fit all the standard Kmount 50mm’s, since the K1000 was the same size physically as the rest of the Kseries? it seems like such a small change that the cost in materials saved wouldn’t be worth the cost in manufacturing multiple case sizes.

02-16-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you have the wrong case. My K50/1.4 fits fine and the KX case will close. (Note the K50/1.2 won’t fit)

The KX shared the same case with the KM and looks like this. (Second from top in the picture) PM me if you want front and back photos from one of mine.

The cases that came out later for the K1000 are not what you want.

Phil.
Attached Images

Last edited by gofour3; 02-16-2011 at 06:47 PM.
02-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Spotmatic leather case (pebble-grain shoe leather) and it works fine with the Pentax-K 55/1.8. I am very pleased with the case. I found it in the rummage box at a local used camera shop. It looked pretty rough, but the inner lining was in excellent shape. I think I paid about $5. When I got it home, I cleaned it with a little saddle soap and finished off with black Kiwi shoe polish. Looks like new

I showed it to the guy at the shop and the next time I came in, all of their Spotmatic and K1000 bodies were displayed next to newly polished cases! (They had about a dozen of those old Spotmatic cases in various stages of disintegration.)

Steve
02-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hey guys, this helps a lot! I will buy one that looks like the soft everyready case in pic Phil has here. I am taking the camera with me to Sarasota, Florida next week....so if you know any nice used camera stores in that area, I am all ears.

thanks again!

03-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
follow up. I purchased and received one of these older cases. needed some tlc and shoe polish to restore but looks nice. I notice that pentax didn't work out the lugs-strap issue with these cases, did they? When the front part of case is on and snapped up, the lugs are caught under the lip and the strap seems to catch. as if they didn't expect someone to use a strap with the leather case. suggestions? ideas? I will admit to having the non-oem triangular lugs. I have the round minolta slr style lugs.
03-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's the correct case the strap lugs fit in the opening on the side like in the above photo. Yes sometimes you have to adjust them before closing the case, but it's not really an issue.

Post a picture if you get a chance.

Phil.