Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Switching Brand! ^__^

Well, not really, i still have my MZ-S (although i did sell a good chunk of my lenses)

But, I have decided to try a different approach to taking photographs using film.

perhaps, I should have tried a pocket-sized range finder, but I didn't feel like scourging ebay for 30 year old junk, maybe some other time.

but for now, I am a proud new owner of a FujiFilm Natura Classica

I would get the Black or S but they have been discontinued, but I have a friend in Japan who will get me one if I find the Classica to my liking (main differnce being that the Black/S have a 24mm F1.9 fixed lens, vs the classicas 28-56 f2.8-5.6)

The camera arrived today from a shop in New York, Lomography; pre-packaged with a fujifilm branded CR2 battery ready to go, and a clip-on remote for timed/distance shots.

The instructions are all in Japanese.

Once I get some rolls going through it i might make a mini-blog,

Here is a stock photo of the camera; and yes, it is as small as it looks (just a little bit thicker than a deck of cars)

02-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Banned

nice camera mate. I took the other route myself. I scoured eBay till I found old junk. Leica junk to be precise. its a bit older than 30 years too but you get the idea. I have looked into these types of little pocket film cameras myself recently. I saw a neat little leica model (forget what it was called now) but it was naturally way overpriced. I know these types are very popular in Japan, and id like to get my hands on a silver model Klasse W. great camera mate, id love to see what it can do, and how you approach things differently with this compared to the MZ-S.
02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lately the issue for me is about bulk, and i really don't know why

at some point i just got tired carying my camera bag around. Hell, my wallet contains only 3 cards and no cash, and my key ring only has 3 keys on it.

some warped sense of ocd-minimalism has taken me over and its hard to fight it.

so maybe this camera can help alleviate some of that.

also, i put an order in for 9 rolls of FujiFilm Natura 1600, we'll see how those suckers come out.
02-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Banned

I know the feeling. thats why I have been (regardless of what one might think of it) on the fence about selling my k-7 for a Fuji x100. I wont give up my M3 and one (yes one) lens or my pentax SV and small set of auto-takumar lenses, but as a digital day to day ive been pursuing that same minimalist approach, and its starting to creep into my film side. thats why I was looking at the same type of ‘higher end’ 35mm pocket type cameras. the fiancée doesn’t think I should drop the k-7 though as I use it often for local journalist work.

02-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
lately the issue for me is about bulk, and i really don't know why

at some point i just got tired carying my camera bag around. Hell, my wallet contains only 3 cards and no cash, and my key ring only has 3 keys on it.

some warped sense of ocd-minimalism has taken me over and its hard to fight it.

so maybe this camera can help alleviate some of that.

also, i put an order in for 9 rolls of FujiFilm Natura 1600, we'll see how those suckers come out.
Same thing for me. I've lusted over a full frame camera with a fast 24 mm for a long time, but I came to realize that my Pentax is already too big for me to use casually as often as I would like. That's why I went with the Ricoh GXR 28 mm. The image quality clearly isn't as good as full frame cameras, but I can take it EVERYWHERE. It actually looks a little like that camera you have there, although yours is even more minimalistic in style.

Looking forward to see what you think of your new purchase.
02-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That looks really nice.
I'm still trying to work out how a canister of 35mm film fits inside it though, the thing looks positively tiny
02-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That looks really nice.
I'm still trying to work out how a canister of 35mm film fits inside it though, the thing looks positively tiny
The camera is a bit bigger than it appears in the photo. Here is the view from the back:

Here is a blog post with a bunch more photos:

GALA GALA BLOG: Fuji Natura Classica

Steve

(Would like to get my hands on the Natura S...24mm f/1.9 with AF. The ultimate club camera!)

02-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The 24mm version sounds entertaining. The zoom model reminds me of the Canon Elphs, although I think they were APS cameras. I picked up an ME as a smaller, almost pocketable film camera since I already had some M lenses to go with it.

Some of the smaller auto exposure rangefinders are quite nice. My parents have a Konica rangefinder around somewhere with a 40-something mm lens that they used as a pocket camera for years.
02-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #9

My plan was to save money for a car. I just might put a dent in that fund to get one of these. The 1.9 version is very enticing but I haven't had any luck finding one today.