Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
pentax p30

hello
i was just wondering if anyone knew of the pentax p30 was a manual or automatic camera
many thanks
tom

02-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

From memory it has aperture priority.

I'm sure an owner will be along soon enough to tell me I'm wrong :-)
02-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks
02-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here is the link to our database:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-manual-focus-film-slr-camera-revie...ax-p3-p30.html

02-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

This should really be in the Film SLR forum.
02-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #6

It is aperture priority but has a manual mode that is pretty easy to use.
02-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

info seems a little ambiguous. P30 I believe has (P)rogram and (M)anual modes
P30t has AV(apeture priority) in addition to 2 above. no ttl flash on any,just auto
and manual.Have a P3n,used extensively in manual mode,it'll keep you "on you toes"
as it has no EV compensation.All have I believe 2 segment metering with
"A" series lens,if you can relate to various EV charts and mentally apply to
scene/subject,is readily up for the challenge.All have a seiko shutter that allthough
slower than what was used in prior "M" series bodies does seem to offer an improvment
in ruggedness and reliability.Biggest difference other than being a
stop slower at fast end are that they/it are purely electronically timed/mechaniclly
driven.No hybrid mode as with ME super.Sync is a little slower also.
02-21-2011, 05:13 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
...All have I believe 2 segment metering with
"A" series lens...
Specifically, it is center-weighted metering only. The lens type does not matter.

The P30t is essentialy an updated P3n with a slightly different focusing screen (diagonal split-prism). They both have metered manual, program, and aperture priority autoexposure. As far as not having exposure compensation, they do have meter lock buttons on the left side of the lens mount above the cable release port. IMHO, meter lock is better than exposure compensation.

02-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
The P30t is essentialy an updated P3n with a slightly different focusing screen (diagonal split-prism).
This is true. The other difference is a plastic rather than a metal back.
02-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Exposure lock and "substitute" metering

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Have a P3n,used extensively in manual mode, it'll keep you "on you toes" as it has no EV compensation.
It should be mentioned that unlike many Pentax models the P-series cameras have AE lock, which IMO is superior to EV compensation.
In AE just point the camera at something that gives you the exposure value you want, lock the exposure, recompose and shoot.
In most cases, where a little more/a little less exposure is required, this is just a matter of tilting the camera down or up a bit.
I find this is much faster and easier than removing my eye from the viewfinder and fumbling with any EV compensation dial.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-22-2011 at 07:37 PM.
02-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It should be mentioned that unlike many Pentax models the P-series cameras have AE lock, which IMO is superior to EV compensation.
In AE just point the camera at something that gives you the exposure value you want, lock the exposure, recompose and shoot.
In most cases, where a little more/a little less exposure is required, this is just a matter of tilting the camera down or up a bit.
I find this is much faster and easier than removing my eye from the viewfinder and fumbling with any EV compensation dial.

Chris
I totally agree Chris. EV comp is highly overrated unless it is implemented in a manner similar to that in modern dSLRs. AE lock, on the other hand is extremely useful if you want to place the middle values of your subject.

Steve
02-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is true. The other difference is a plastic rather than a metal back.
Actually, of all the P3n's I have ever seen, only one had the metal back. The rest were plastic.

However, the OP may be referring to the original P30 (no t), which is the european counterpart to the original P3. If so, there is only full auto exposure and full manual.
02-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My P3n back cover is metal inside,plastic outside.Half and half I guess.Is center weighted metering,should of known better long as Ive had it.Program modes allegedly adjust apeture on "A"series lens and latter.AE lock is quite handy,however(personal excuse)....was weaned on ME super and after I bought P3n,LX.Usually use EV comp. a number of shots where general scene and subject doesnt vary much,so comp dial is more convienent for myself.Portraits of people on the other hand is were AE lock is outstanding and a definite advantange over comp dial,for things like that,hands down winner.