Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax es 11...any good?

I love screwmount...I have a lovely black SP11 & a few taks....also in good shape.
I may have an opportunity to own a black ES 11 in pretty good shape.
Don't know much about them, except that they have certain "electronic" aspects about them, that may or may not be reliable, or even may or may not be able to be repaired, should the electronics fail?
So, can anyone give me an opinion on the ES 11, & how it would compare to my SP11(+s and -s!).
Thanks, Pickles.

02-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Pickels,

I have an old Spotmatic IIa, so personally I really can't help. However, here on the forum there is both a camera and lens database with reviews. Here is the link for the ESII

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-m42-screwmount-camera-reviews/1140...tax-es-ii.html

If you scroll up to the top menu bar, there are the tabs for "camera" and "lens". Click the appropriate one and you are there.

Hope that helps, some....
02-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
I love screwmount...I have a lovely black SP11 & a few taks....also in good shape.
I may have an opportunity to own a black ES 11 in pretty good shape.
Don't know much about them, except that they have certain "electronic" aspects about them, that may or may not be reliable, or even may or may not be able to be repaired, should the electronics fail?
So, can anyone give me an opinion on the ES 11, & how it would compare to my SP11(+s and -s!).
Thanks, Pickles.
if you don’t have any SMC Takumars, then having the ESII wont really be of any benefit. if im not mistaken (without referencing the Pentax bible) some, but not all of the super-multi-coated takumars are capable of open-aperture metering. the ESII is designed specifically for this with SMC takumars. if all of your Takumars are Super-Takumars or the non open-aperture metering super-multi-coated Takumars, then there is really no need for having the ESII as a user camera. your SPII is just as good. for reference, here is a manual. Password: Pentax

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/m42/esii_ps.pdf

as for the electronics, yes I think the ES and ESII (the ESII less) are certainly susceptible to electronics failure. often you see them with stuck viewfinder blinds as well. but if there is a problem, and you are willing to ship it to him, the often recommended Eric at pentaxs.com does repair ESII’s.
02-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC and S-M-C Takumars both have the necessary bits for open aperture metering and thus auto exposure with the ES-II. There is an P/ES Adaptall-2, at Vivitar TX mount, and possibly some fixed mount lenses out there... With a Super or similar regular M42, you have to do the stop-down-meter switch thing, only you shoot that way so the shutter speed's set... with manual speeds I don't think you get metering (though my memory isn't what it used to be...)

Relative to a SP or SPII - the build quality is similar, the thoughtful touches are there, and really the ES-II is a natural extension of the Spotmatic idea. It is a nice bit of history and evolution, still very much usable today. To me the ES-II makes more sense than the SP-F.

The metering board is replaceable, I'm sure there are repair places the world over who still have some spares. Otherwise, there's not much that can go wrong that can't go wrong on a SPII...

02-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks....all my lenses are genuine Pentax M42, Super Multi Coated...with the extra "pin"...so I should be OK?..although I don't think my 85/210 or my 400 have the extra pin even though they are SMC'd.
Cheers, Pickles.
02-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Thanks....all my lenses are genuine Pentax M42, Super Multi Coated...with the extra "pin"...so I should be OK?..although I don't think my 85/210 or my 400 have the extra pin even though they are SMC'd.
Cheers, Pickles.
no they don’t. but otherwise yes, you are good!. grab it if its a good price, but as per my advice with any camera purchase, a CLA may be in order so that should be considered.
02-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What you need are the later style lenses with the square block on the back that moves with the aperture ring. Other lenses will yield you no benefit over a Spotmatic.

02-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately exposure meter is disabled when shutter speeds are manually selected.

Chris