Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like GeneV, I have an LX and an MX and I've used both extensively. I prefer the LX. The MX is a touch too small for me and I have a hard time seeing the metering information in dim light. Other than those two quibbles, I like my MX...just not as much as my LX or my K2, either, for that matter. We're really just splitting hairs here. They're all fine cameras, IMHO. I just happen to like one a bit more than the others is all.

02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Like GeneV, I have an LX and an MX and I've used both extensively. I prefer the LX. The MX is a touch too small for me and I have a hard time seeing the metering information in dim light. Other than those two quibbles, I like my MX...just not as much as my LX or my K2, either, for that matter. We're really just splitting hairs here. They're all fine cameras, IMHO. I just happen to like one a bit more than the others is all.
I like the MX just fine. The LED is much more visible in dim light than, say the LCD of the Superprogram. But the LX is a step up. The finder layout is slightly better, and the size and the grip edge out the MX. That being said, the LX and MX are my two most-used film bodies.
02-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Weather sealing - Great! Now can you find me a weather sealed lens that works with a LX? I didn't think so.
Besides that...I don't think I'd trust 21 year old weather seals. Oh and I think for a pro camera it could have used a faster max shutter speed. I'm on the hunt for a PZ1-P.
02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Like mine alot used quite a bit last 15 years,bought another last year as a very expensive parts bin.
Dont quite follow along with 21 year old seals.Mine have been replaced 3 times,during course of CLA.
Not because they need it,because I insist.
Entire LX system is readily accessable and maintainable.

02-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Besides that...I don't think I'd trust 21 year old weather seals. Oh and I think for a pro camera it could have used a faster max shutter speed. I'm on the hunt for a PZ1-P.
Yes, another good choice....some say that is the ultimate, some say the MZ S.
Cheers, Pickles.
02-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielT74 Quote
Apologies for the deliberately provocative question, folks!

I have an LX and Pentax MZ-5n which costs a fraction of the price. Now apart from the obvious better build of the LX, what's it got going for it? I mean the 5n has focus confirmation, which I found pretty handy. Metering seems to be very similar as well as the features.

What am I missing?
Hey DanielT74,
Boy, if you were trying to start a discussion group on merits of LX (or demerits..lol)...you have succeeded !
I had an LX for a year or two... actually didn`t enjoy it as much as my MX but really found both reliable & well-made.
02-24-2011, 04:17 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Weather sealing - Great! Now can you find me a weather sealed lens that works with a LX? I didn't think so.

Exchangeable bits - How many people actually exchange them, other than as a curiosity?
When I'm out in rain or snow with it, I keep the LX back up, so as to take the brunt of the precipitation, until I decide to take a picture. This keeps all but a few drops off the lens, although I wouldn't submit it to heavy rain like I would a WR digital combo. Also, it is possible to use WR lenses on an LX in a limited capacity(LX with DA* 16-50):

I use several of the exchangeable bits. Both grips, the waistlevel viewfinder, and I have a bulk back with the makings of a time lapse setup in the works. The exchangeable grips and viewfinders are great accessories, and far more than curiosities. It displays the same customizability that is present in a lot of the film process.
The bulk back may indeed be a curiosity, but that is part of the fun of the hobby to me. I'll have to wait a few months to see the results of the setup, but the LX hasn't really let me down yet. With a DSLR options are severely limited, except now in the color department.

A camera is a tool. The LX is a hell of a tool. For some it's the best tool. Others prefer polycarbonate, AF, and/or digital.
02-24-2011, 07:09 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
If you've got a working 21 year old LX, you've probably replaced all the seals. (I have) The CLA on an LX is more than twice the cost of other cameras of the 80s because of those seals.

I've never really trusted weather sealing on any lens enough to take in out in the pouring rain. I'd agree with an earlier poster that throw aways are probably a better solution for serious water.

02-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Bought a minolta 110 weathermatic about same time bought first ME super in early
'80's,it was submersible to around 15 feet(5 meters) used it hugely outdoors
to exclusion of any 135 format body.Gave serious consideration to heavy weight
champ of weather sealing, nikon nikonos.With improvements in technology allowing
ultrasonic welding on PVC's nowdays,are some great performing weather resistant
enclosures that are quite durable,economical.Would'nt go as far as saying "proof"
but perfom well.Can often be given vagabound throw-away,not a bad thought either.