Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

MZ-3?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought a used MZ-3 (in Sweden) about five years ago when I wanted to take up photografy again after two decenniums of unactivity, the last time I had been shooting was with my ME super in the early nineties. Digitalphoto was still to expensive and deficient so I purchased a used MZ-3 without knowing so much about it. It had good specs with 1/4000s, autofokus and a nice viewfinder.
I took one roll of film with the camera and it ended up in my drawer. Two years ago I bought the K20D and have been manicly taken pictures since.
Today I took my MZ-3 out from the drawer, and was strucked by how light and neat it was. I tried to find reviews, and market ads to see if the camera has any value on a market. There is not much written about this camera except the reviews on this forum. It seems to have been sold in very small volumes. How come?
It would be interesting to know more about the this models history and what was happening when it came out on the market in -97. Is it just a european/american phenomenon and it was a great seller in asia? Someone who knows anything about it?

Attached Images

02-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
By looking at above photo, your camera suffers from the same common ailment of MZ series--broken plastic mirror motor gear. MZ-3 is essential the same as 5N, except it has a stronger spring in the shutter to get 4000 speed. You will have to replace the gear or gear/motor unit to be able to use this camera again. My camera already has a new motor with brass gear.

Last edited by violini; 11-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.
02-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
How can you see that on the photo, and how does that fault shows in funktion? That the mirror locks? I havenīt noticed any fault.
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

After lightening up the area in the mirror box, I can see the mirror and the diaphragm control lever are OK. But it's just a matter of time, the plastic mirror motor gear will split because the motor runs at high rpm.

Last edited by violini; 07-31-2011 at 07:18 PM.
02-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. Still no problem though. I will be careful and dont go outside in the 20 degrees (Celsius) cold we have had here for weeks. I can imagine what that will do to the plastic...
But that canīt be the reason why this particular model of the MZ-series just went traceless out of camerahistory. What I wanted to hear was that I had a very rare piece of equipment almoust as the printing error of the yellow treskilling banco stamp.
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax had a small production run of MZ-3 in 1997. It was not that rare, I saw it once in a while in the camera store. There are 3 currently listed on ebay; the one in Canada has been listed for ages. The seller is wishfully thinking some day a collector with deep pocket would show up. For the price the seller is asking for, why not get a silver MZ-S.

Last edited by violini; 02-24-2011 at 12:30 PM.
02-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
the one in Canada has been listed for ages. The seller is wishfully thinking some day a collector with deep pocket would show up. For the price the seller is asking, why not get a silver MZ-S.
Hahaha..I saw that one and it's not even worth the money he is asking for!
Now, if the motor was already changed to a brass gear then someone might bite..hehe.
Yes, and the MZ-S doesn't suffer from this affliction (plastic gear breakage) of the ZX or MZ series.

03-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

so does this motor that is listed on ebay work? I know its listed for the mz-10 or so, but will it work on the mz-3? I read above that the 1/4000th shutter is faster than the mz-10s top shutter speed, does that have any effect on the mz-3?PENTAX MZ-6 MZ-10 MIRROR MOTOR ASSY NEW ORIGINAL OEM - eBay (item 320472436351 end time Mar-04-11 17:08:50 PST)
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The supplier told me that MZ/ZX series of cameras use the same mirror motor (N30). The shutter speed is controlled by electronics. The top shutter speed of MZ-6 is also 4000.
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #10

oh thank you for that correction
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If yours is all locked up it's probably caused by a bad motor gear as mentioned.
The replacent motor with metal gear will most likely solve your problem.
However this requires "major surgery", a job best left to a professional repairer.

Chris
03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If yours is all locked up it's probably caused by a bad motor gear as mentioned.
The replacent motor with metal gear will most likely solve your problem.
However this requires "major surgery", a job best left to a professional repairer.

Chris
Violini is already a professional repairer having done quite a lot of these MX's an ZX's motor replacement.
I just got my non-working ZX-5n and am waiting for the replacement motor.
Next stop,..surgery! (evil smile).