Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 05:22 AM   #1

Thinking about selling it all...

Hello,

I recently invested in a 6x6 TLR and I love it. The more I think about it, the more I think that my Pentax Gear is going to be sitting on a shelf somewhere and get less and less use so I am thinking about selling it to invest in a completely different system.

So here are my arguments:

For regular daily snapshots I don't need the quality brought by a SLR, I am just going to invest in an expert P&S like a LX5 or the likes.

For all my serious work with a normal lens I can go to the 6x6. The image quality will always be better than a 135, and being 6'4, the waist level finder seams more appropriate.

For the wide angle, which is my favorite, I am planing to use the money I will get from my pentax gear to invest in something like a Fuji GSW690.

I know that a medium format will always give me better quality than the 135 and if I need portability the new compacts will be just fine...
I am quite puzzled so I figured that if anyone could convince me not to make this change it would be you, Pentax lovers!

So if you see any reason why I should not change, just let me know! If you don't see any reason for me not to do it, you can expect to see my stuff on the marketplace soon!

Thank you very much!

Last edited by deudeu; 02-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.
02-25-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just be weary of the rules of selling gear on the forum if you're going down that path.
02-25-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Just be weary of the rules of selling gear on the forum if you're going down that path.
He should certainly be wary of the rules. It's hard to be weary of rules unless you've been dealing with them for a long time.
02-25-2011, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

*checks out DDs lenses*

Nope nothing for me there ......

* breathes a sigh of relief and moves on*

02-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1) The Diacord is a fantastic camera with a great contrasty lens!
2) 120 film gives much better results than 135
3) I'd love that Fuji myself

4) you might miss the flexibility and applicability a SLR gives you - fast lens, macro, tele, wide angle, zoom...
5) while monetizing your 35mm camera brings in cash now, are you sure you won't be tempted to re-buy in a year or two?

I also find I like 120 better than 35mm, but I use 35mm anyway, the results can be quite good in fact. I did buy a P645 and it is a fabulous camera with great lenses, but it is bulky and I find I don't use it as much as some of the older, simpler cameras - Diacord, Yashica Mat, various folders. I also find that as I often carry a compact 35 - or even a full sized Konica rangefinder - I get good results but there are times I wish I'd have carried a SLR instead.
02-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
He should certainly be wary of the rules. It's hard to be weary of rules unless you've been dealing with them for a long time.
And the rules he should be wary of is that you don't promote your gear sales outside the marketplace. Doing so will result in removal of the thread at minimum. That includes inquiries regarding value. I.e. "What is my extremely rare and mint condition XXX lens worth...see pictures below...PM me if you have any suggestions..."

Steve
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the head's up on the rules and regulations...

I think that I am still within the law here. I have a pretty good idea of what my gear is worth and I know that If i was to make the change I would not lose any money, or very little.

So this is besides the point!

So thank you Nesster for you kind advice.
And to all, you will probably see some stuff on the marketplace section shortly!

02-25-2011, 12:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I did it... I figured $1500 for a K5 could buy me a lot of film. So instead I buy film for my MF stuff. I didn't sell much beyond what I normally buy, try and sell, rather I opted to keep my Digital & Film stuff, assuming I will go back to it... a blank roll of film yesterday help push me in that direction!
02-25-2011, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
From Pentax: MX; M 50/1.7; K 28/3.5
IMO your signature says it all. That small list represents a modest investment in excellent and hard to replace gear.
A 6x6 TLR is great for some types of photography but cannot replace 35mm, especially when you need to work quickly.
Remember also that medium format film scanners are very expensive; 35mm scanners are much more affordable.

When I first got a medium format outfit I thought I'd forsake 35mm too, but I was wrong.
Fortunately I hadn't sold my 35mm gear when I realized the error in that assumption.

I understand completely the desire to rid yourself of excess gear, but suggest you hang on to your
Pentax 35mm outfit while you continue your medium format "test drive", and make your decision later.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 02-25-2011 at 04:36 PM.
02-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah don’t do it, keep your Pentax gear.

Phil.
02-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #11

Personally, i hate 6x6. You can be a snob and call me incompetent but the format is, by design, very prone to tilted horizon. There's a reason why level meters are long sticks and not square, slight angular offset will become more apparent linearly the farther you get away from the center. Also the way you hold those boxxy 6x6. The pentax 645 with eye-level finder has none of those problems.
02-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does have its charms. Composing a square image is indeed different from the rectangle of most formats.
Unless you trim all your paper (to a square) you must anticipate what will be lost in each shot due to cropping.
Of course for scanned images posted online this shouldn't matter.

Chris
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd be patient. If you've got a good TLR you really don't need too much else, and the value of your Pentax stuff isn't going anywhere.

May as well see if you're still in love with em in several months, then maybe if there's an expensive TLR you've decided you've just got to have, maybe *then* raise some funds. One of the charms of TLRs is the minimalism about gear, so, given one, (Hey, it's a Diacord, that might well satisfy, anyway) why rush to fundraise.
02-28-2011, 04:37 AM   #14

Original Poster
Well, thank y'all for the help! I am just more confused now.

You all are right, there is no need to rush... Other than the fact that I will probably quit my job to go travel sometimes before the summer! (If you like photography you might just call me crazy as I work for the largest studios in Europe...)

So you actually make me reconsider! I am probably just going to sell my sigma lenses. I figured I would not get much more than $300 for my MX and my two lenses. But with the two sigmas I can by a good wide angle MF...

It's all about the compromises!

Thank you again!
03-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Personally, i hate 6x6. You can be a snob and call me incompetent...
Incompetent! There is an old invention called a grid focus matte. And modern thing called an image editor.