Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Incompetent! There is an old invention called a grid focus matte. And modern thing called an image editor.
Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. 6x6 is the same length as 6x4.5 after all, and cropping a 645 to square doesn't make it any less level. The lower perspective and reversed image do have their challenges though. Perhaps the comment wasn't so much about square but waist level finders.

03-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. 6x6 is the same length as 6x4.5 after all, and cropping a 645 to square doesn't make it any less level. The lower perspective and reversed image do have their challenges though. Perhaps the comment wasn't so much about square but waist level finders.
Most TLRs have a sports finder built in. You can hold the camera up to your eye after focusing and it's just as easy to compose, the scene is not reversed and the horizon is just as easy to make slanted as a SLR.
03-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Most TLRs have a sports finder built in. You can hold the camera up to your eye after focusing and it's just as easy to compose, the scene is not reversed and the horizon is just as easy to make slanted as a SLR.
Again, very true. Most Rolleiflex's have eye level focusing too. I'm not sure about the OPs Diacord though.
03-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #19

Incompetent! There is an old invention called a grid focus matte. And modern thing called an image editor.
Yes, a grid would help, but i don't have one of those. Could DIY a grid overlay but don't want the trouble.

03-06-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It's been awhile since I used my TLR's but I'm getting ready to fire them up again. I don't recall having any problems with shooting pictures with level horizons, when called for. I don't recall any problems with *printing* straightened images, when called for. I don't see these as issues. Like, get a grip, people.
03-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
It's been awhile since I used my TLR's but I'm getting ready to fire them up again. I don't recall having any problems with shooting pictures with level horizons, when called for. I don't recall any problems with *printing* straightened images, when called for. I don't see these as issues. Like, get a grip, people.
Depends what you're shooting. If you're shooting landscape and taking your sweet time, that's not worth a mention. It's when you wave that camera around the streets trying to get a decisive moment that's a problem.
03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Depends what you're shooting. If you're shooting landscape and taking your sweet time, that's not worth a mention. It's when you wave that camera around the streets trying to get a decisive moment that's a problem.
If you level by feel more than eye, (let your sense of balance do most of the work) that's not so much of a problem.

Though I admit I've proven a tad out of practice with WLFs in recent years, and maybe a bit more-easily thrown off by the reversed image when I try and react quickly: though the trick of it is really to lead with your hands, and don't let your eye follow the mirror image in motion. But I'm not as sharp as I used to be, I think, sometimes.

03-10-2011, 03:11 AM   #23

Original Poster
There is some sort of sport finder on the diacord... But I don't use it.
The thing is that I plan on investing in a Fuji GSW to shoot landscape, the 6x6 becoming my portrait camera.
I do find that the waist level finder can be disturbing when shooting landscapes, but not so much for people... But even then, I am pretty sure that with a little more practice, and if you trust your camera strap and gravity, it should not be much of a problem!
03-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
Hello,

I recently invested in a 6x6 TLR and I love it. The more I think about it, the more I think that my Pentax Gear is going to be sitting on a shelf somewhere and get less and less use so I am thinking about selling it to invest in a completely different system. In '84 I bought a new 6 X 6 TLR. A Mamiya 220 Pro F. I bought a wide angle, a normal and a telephoto...all Mamiya-Sekor lenses to go with it. It has a waist level finder.

The medium format produces excellent pictures and the advantage of the Mamiya TLR, over every other TLR ...including Rollei is that you can get interchangeable lenses.
Great camera, but I don't use much anymore.

So here are my arguments:

For regular daily snapshots I don't need the quality brought by a SLR, I am just going to invest in an expert P&S like a LX5 or the likes.I also have an expert P+S...the redoubtable Canon G 12. Another great camera, but like the LX5...the sensor isn't as big as a DSLR and the you can't get around that. The pix blown up won't have the detail of a DSLR.

For all my serious work with a normal lens I can go to the 6x6. The image quality will always be better than a 135, and being 6'4, the waist level finder seams more appropriate.I'm about 6' 3 1/2 " and I always use my TLR and WLF ...on a tripod. The TLR and WLF is essentially a slow reacting camera...that encourages composition.

For the wide angle, which is my favorite, I am planing to use the money I will get from my pentax gear to invest in something like a Fuji GSW690.

I know that a medium format will always give me better quality than the 135 and if I need portability the new compacts will be just fine...
I am quite puzzled so I figured that if anyone could convince me not to make this change it would be you, Pentax lovers!

So if you see any reason why I should not change, just let me know! If you don't see any reason for me not to do it, you can expect to see my stuff on the marketplace soon!

Thank you very much!
I find both my film slr's and digital DSLR's...both Pentax BTW...have their place and it is a place of prime importance.

When I am out taking pix of wildlife, vintage cars, buildings in busy downtown areas...I find the SLR/DSLR's hard to beat. They give pretty good image quality, not as good as medium format, but are easier to carry around, faster to react, more versatile than any medium format...with the wide range of lenses.

They also beat the advanced P+S in all these areas...quite handily.

I still have my medium format, also my advanced P+S...as an everyday carry around.

But the bulk of my shooting is with my DSLR's...fro reasons of versatility, very good quality, relatively light weight and speed of reaction.

Do what I do...keep them all...different horses for different courses...as the Irish say.
03-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is some sort of sport finder on the diacord... But I don't use it.
The thing is that I plan on investing in a Fuji GSW to shoot landscape, the 6x6 becoming my portrait camera.
I do find that the waist level finder can be disturbing when shooting landscapes, but not so much for people... But even then, I am pretty sure that with a little more practice, and if you trust your camera strap and gravity, it should not be much of a problem!
I admit I have somewhat specialized tastes - I like using vintage folding cameras, 6x9 for street and landscape shooting. The large film frame does wonders for quality, 6x9 is a very nice ratio, and the cameras fold up nice and compact. There are some nice 6x4.5 folders too - these are CUTE!

I use the 6x6, whether TLR or folder, for landscapes and street as well. It's true one has to acclimate to the reversed view each time, but by now I get used to that pretty quick.

While I wouldn't mind a GSW, I'm happy with the folders, and they do bring smiles
03-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
While I wouldn't mind a GSW, I'm happy with the folders, and they do bring smiles
Do you know of any 6x9 folding as wide or wider than 65mm?
03-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #27
Inactive Account

I don't think there are any folders that wide, but Fuji has shown the GF670W, neither a folder nor 6x9 though.

There is also one of these: Welcome to Fotoman Camera

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 03-17-2011 at 09:07 PM.
03-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No, nothing vintage... but I'm not sure 'landscape' automatically means 'wide angle' either:

Bessa I with 105mm Vaskar
04-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #29

Original Poster
SOLD! Well both of my sigma lenses! I'll keep my MX and maybe invest in some more old glass and an APS-C digicam someday.
But most importantly a fuji GSW should be on the way shortly!

Thank you all for your advice.
04-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #30

SOLD! Well both of my sigma lenses! I'll keep my MX and maybe invest in some more old glass and an APS-C digicam someday.
But most importantly a fuji GSW should be on the way shortly!

Thank you all for your advice.
With the recent lens price hikes, I was thinking of getting a GSW instead to supplement my Pentax's.

No way I'd leave Pentax, but how is the GSW is working? I've read differing opinions on the lens wrt sharpness/contrast.