Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When you open a Film door it resets the shutter count down to 0 right?

No matter if there is film in it or not? Like lets say I took 6 photos and then opened the film door, it goes back to 0 right?

02-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's right. It should reset every time you pull the rewind knob out.
02-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright can other people please confirm this? I had to return a camera on ebay because the shutter release was broken and said that I broke it and that I had to fire off at least 40 shutters since it was back at 0 since the shutter count dial was at 6 when he sent it.

In other words, he thinks the only way it can be reset is if I the shutter worked when sent and I fired off a bunch of shots...which is untrue since all I did was open the film door and it reset to 0.

I really appreciate it.
02-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Alright can other people please confirm this? I had to return a camera on ebay because the shutter release was broken and said that I broke it and that I had to fire off at least 40 shutters since it was back at 0 since the shutter count dial was at 6 when he sent it.

In other words, he thinks the only way it can be reset is if I the shutter worked when sent and I fired off a bunch of shots...which is untrue since all I did was open the film door and it reset to 0.

I really appreciate it.
Not all film SLRs reset the film counter automatically. What kind of camera was it?

I have a Pentax H1 (1960) that does not reset the film counter. However, I know that the H1a (1962), which followed it did. Anything from the early sixties on, probably resets the counter. Before that, maybe not.

My Spotmatic (1964) resets the counter. Everythings that I have that is later than that, also resets the counter.

02-25-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

You'd have to look pretty hard to find a camera that didn't reset the frame counter upon opening the back, and I'm pretty sure any of them would have been made prior to the early 1960s.
02-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

On dry firing, my spotmatic SP did not return the counter to 0. Thought that was odd...maybe it is malfunctioning?

My KM did return to 0...although I've just found out that it has film in it :-(

My Black Spotmatic SP did return the counter to 0.

Fujica AX-3 did return to 0 (actually S)

Spotmatic SP #3 in my collection also returns to 0 and I see now that the cap on the counter for the first Spotmatic I looked at is missing...so most likely it is damaged and malfunctioning
02-25-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by irishwhite Quote
On dry firing, my spotmatic SP did not return the counter to 0. Thought that was odd...maybe it is malfunctioning?

My KM did return to 0...although I've just found out that it has film in it :-(

My Black Spotmatic SP did return the counter to 0.

Fujica AX-3 did return to 0 (actually S)

Spotmatic SP #3 in my collection also returns to 0 and I see now that the cap on the counter for the first Spotmatic I looked at is missing...so most likely it is damaged and malfunctioning
All K series film bodies (K2, KX, KM & K1000) reset the counter to zero.

Phil.

02-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I really appreciate it.
I don't know where they're coming from because every film camera that I've ever had reset the picture count to zero as soon as I opened the film door or released the door latch. ?????? I think the sellers is trying to pull your leg and rip you off. Another "eek bay horror story, I'm afraid.
02-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its a Ricoh Xr7.
02-25-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I don't know where they're coming from because every film camera that I've ever had reset the picture count to zero as soon as I opened the film door or released the door latch. ?????? I think the sellers is trying to pull your leg and rip you off. Another "eek bay horror story, I'm afraid.

Its true that most film SLRs reset the film counter to zero when the rear door was opened. However, I would reiterate that Pentax cameras before about 1962 did not do so.

I have a Honeywell Pentax H1a (identical to the Asahi S1a), introduced in 1960, which does not have auto-reset. I also have a Honeywell Pentax H3v (Asahi SV), introduced in 1962, that DOES have auto-reset.

I have two Spotmatics, one Honeywell, one Asahi. Both reset the counter when the film door is opened, not when the rewind crank is pulled up. Just as an experiment, I held the door shut while pulling the rewind crank up. It did not reset. When I released the door and allowed it to pop open a bit, the film counter went to zero. There is a tiny tab on the edge of the film door that fits into a slot in the light-tight channel in the camera body. When this pin is pulled out of the slot in the body, the counter resets.

It would sure be nice to know what camera the OP is talking about. He very probably has one that does reset the counter, but we can't know for sure. Lots of pre-1962 cameras are bought/sold on eBay. The OP hasn't even said for sure that its a Pentax.
02-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You'd have to look pretty hard to find a camera that didn't reset the frame counter upon opening the back, and I'm pretty sure any of them would have been made prior to the early 1960s.
Ummm, I had a Kiev 4AM from the early 1980s that required a manual reset...newer camera, ancient design.

Typically, though...the film counter will either reset when the camera back is opened unless it requires a manual reset by turning the dial. The scenario proposed by the seller does not sound like any camera I have ever seen.

Steve
02-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Its a Ricoh Xr7.
The XR7 will reset to zero when the film door is opened unless the mechanism is jammed with rotten foam goo from bad seals that has worked its way into the tiny slot in the seal channel that works the reset. Refer the seller to the online manual available here:
Ricoh XR-7 on-line manual, sigma SA-1, KS-2 user manual clone

...and if he still complains, refer him to me. I have been shooting with an XR7 for almost 30 years and mine always reset to zero when the film door was opened.

Steve

(I would suggest that neutral feedback is probably too good for this seller, even if he does refund you. I would suggest that his response to this point is also enough to justify lodging a complaint with both eBay and PayPal to give you a little leverage and insurance. If the camera was listed as being fully functional, be sure that you also get your shipping back...both directions.)
02-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hum, I have the same Sears-badge Ricoh XR7, I had shot three roll of films with it; the last film was 36 and had already been taken out, but the frame counter still stayed at 36! Didn’t even realize it until this discussion came up. I opened and closed the film door a few times just now and it is still not reset to zero. I hope my is not broken.

Last edited by IS050; 02-25-2011 at 11:01 PM.
02-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Hum, I have the same Sears-badge Ricoh XR7, I had shot three roll of films with it; the last film was 36 and had already been taken out, but the frame counter still stayed at 36! Didn’t even realize it until this discussion came up. I opened and closed the film door a few times just now and it is still not reset to zero. I hope my is not broken.
It's broken.
02-27-2011, 12:01 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Most likely has some gummy stuff (rotten seals) in the tiny hole. Not broken, just gummed up.

Steve