Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MEF & 35-70 f2.8: good deal?

I just bought a ME F with smc Pentax AF 1:2,8 35~70mm and a Suntax flash for about $70 bucks. The seller told me that it had been put away for 10+ years (since his dad switched to digital). The glass seems to be in good condition, just a bit dust on the front element. The camera and the lens show normal "wear" but nothing severe. I don't think much of the flash, but I'd like to know if I was robbed or if it was a fair deal.
Anyone has any idea of what batteries are required for this camera and lens?

02-26-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-autofocus-film-slr-camera-reviews/...ntax-me-f.html

SMC Pentax-AF 35-70mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

The camera and lens really only have value as a collectors item. The lens will work as a M series lens on a dslr but focusing is said to be tricky.
02-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a very good deal, actually! But as Boris said, it's mostly a collectors item as the AF is next to useless and the lens is big

If you want to do a lot of manual shooting, an ME super or a Super Program would be better choices.
02-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Adam and Boris is mostly right. And though it is easy to be curious about that fast glass, the fastest Pentax 35-70 besides the FA*, this lens is supposedly very far from an FA*, on OK lens, but nothing special. And in practise hard to use. If you want a good manual Pentax in the same focal length range go for the SMC Pentax-A 35-70 constant f4. Very good lens.

Edit: the camera is well worth having, works like a ME Super in all essential. Good manual camera with auto exposure and full manual capability. Nice viewfinder. But get some more practical lens for it.

02-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #5

pentax mef

If it works it is a well specified camera and lens, although the autofocus is pretty much useless ! The lens is also very heavy. The batteries are standard - 4 AAA in the lens + 4 SR44 in the body- with lots of switches on the lens and the body. You need a manual. http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/MEF.pdf is free. The lens may only be 35-70 but it is constant aperture whatever the zoom setting and f.2.8 is good for even a narrow range zoom. This was the only lens made for the MEF but other PK lenses will fit with manual (but assisted) focussing. You can use ASA100 film and get good colours I found. Good luck.
02-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Probably a worthwhile deal regardless: I think at least one person has wanted that lens to play with at least, and would probably give you what you paid for the whole kit for it.

One thing about the ME-F is that the autofocus confirmation works with any lens, as I understand it, so if someone's prone to vision problems, they're pretty nice, that way. (Canon made a manual focus camera with a similar feature, the AL-1, and that's pretty popular with a certain set to this day. ) So, basically, for that money, no worries, I'd say.

A friend of mine had one of those ME-F's years ago, was kind of fun to play with for novelty factor, but maybe more of just a retro-novelty today, anyway.
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
One thing about the ME-F is that the autofocus confirmation works with any lens...
Yep, that is the big benefit. You get a robust, metal-bodied aperture-priority + manual body with AF confirm. Great for those of use with older eyes!

Steve
03-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The ME-F is essentially an ME Super with the extra AF stuff and as such is just as usable and useful as the Super. The biggest problem is a weak battery door so be careful when installing the batteries. Also, if you leave the AF assist turned on it will drain the batteries rather quickly.

I bought one of the lenses a while back but sadly it was broken, jammed solid. I got my money back and was allowed to keep the lens as a paperweight. I'd like to get a working copy one day just to try Pentax's first AF lens for myself.

K.