Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Cap on winding levelr came off, cosmetic or necessary?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I was out shooting today and noticed that the silver cap on the winding lever (the part covering the area around which the lever arm rotates) had come off revealing the assembly underneath. Since I was outside at the time I don't expect to be able to find it. Is this a necessary part or is it just cosmetic. My worry is that the assembly may start to come loose now and introduce slippage in the winding mechanism.

02-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might vary by the model, (Which one?) but those parts often actually do keep the winding lever on: yours may simply be somewhat just stuck in place by time. Usually if there's a screw in there, it's for a reason. Sometimes they're just rather like hubcaps. (If you have a photo of what's left I may be able to tell. )
02-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It might vary by the model, (Which one?) but those parts often actually do keep the winding lever on: yours may simply be somewhat just stuck in place by time. Usually if there's a screw in there, it's for a reason. Sometimes they're just rather like hubcaps. (If you have a photo of what's left I may be able to tell. )
Hi,

My mistake for not listing the model of the camera. It is an ME Super. Here is a picture.
Attached Images

02-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, yeah, I'm pretty sure that lever could worry itself off on an ME Super, (Haven't actually had mine apart, but this does happen occasionally.) If it were a sharper image, I could be sure, but that'd appear to be the case: in order to prevent losing the lever, you probably want a replacement part, good news is they're common. I suspect a couple little dots of cement might hold it on in the meantime, but why don't you wait for another opinion. (These reverse-threaded, I presume, guys? I could probably just look at mine, later. )

02-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ah, yeah, I'm pretty sure that lever could worry itself off on an ME Super, (Haven't actually had mine apart, but this does happen occasionally.) If it were a sharper image, I could be sure, but that'd appear to be the case: in order to prevent losing the lever, you probably want a replacement part, good news is they're common. I suspect a couple little dots of cement might hold it on in the meantime, but why don't you wait for another opinion. (These reverse-threaded, I presume, guys? I could probably just look at mine, later. )

Any idea where I could find a replacement cap? Or would my best bet be to buy a broken ME Super and salvage the cap?
02-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davide Quote
Any idea where I could find a replacement cap? Or would my best bet be to buy a broken ME Super and salvage the cap?
They're common to a few models, I understand, so they probably aren't hard to come by probably no big deal, anyway.

Our favorite tech, Eric, (EricTN here, ) is likely to be able to send you one for not much, or someone might have one here.
02-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have found some of those for sale on ekkbay.
I guess it is a common occurence for the ME.
From what I know it is not really needed but more of just cosmetic covering.
Here ya go: Pentax Original Part ME Super MG MV Film Advance Cap - eBay (item 220670837709 end time Mar-16-11 09:39:29 PDT)

Although there might be some non-working ME supers that are cheaper?
I'm not really sure about the cheaper non-working bodies though.
I just came along this since I am on the prowl on ekkbay for film cameras like an MX or other bodies.
I just miss film and want to shoot film again!
..but I want a good body to do it with so I will keep it and cherish it!
I love the LX but just can't afford such extravagance now.

02-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davide Quote
A parts camera would be a good source, though it is not really a "cap". It is the hold down screw for the wind lever assembly. Without the screw, the lever is free to lift off. They are often reverse threaded to avoid working their way off in normal use. To have yours simply fall off sounds a little strange, but strange things do happen.

The eBay replacement might also be a good option, if it truly is the correct part. Even the cheapest parts camera with shipping would cost as much.

Steve

BTW...ME Super Repair Manual available online HERE.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-28-2011 at 09:58 PM.
02-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Steve, says hotlinking not permitted although I also know about that site.
It has a couple of service repair manuals.
I downloaded most of them just in case I might need them and I might forget the site.
Thanks a lot for that site!
For davide, the site is www.robertstech.com/manuals.htm
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

My Super Program hasn't had a winding lever cap since i got it and it works fine. I haven't had a loose winding lever, but the ME Super might be different
02-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those caps are cosmetic to small extent but do serve the purpose of keeping
debis out of body in larger part of function.
03-01-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a sears ksx and quanteray rs 800 not sure if the caps wiil fit looks like they would you can have them for free. The cameras don;t work I help my buddy clean out houses sometimes found these.
03-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Those caps are cosmetic to small extent but do serve the purpose of keeping
debis out of body in larger part of function.
You are probably correct. I took a second look at the service manual on at Roberts Tech and it looks like there is a second reverse-threaded nut to secure the wind lever.

Steve
03-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #14

The washer looking thingy with the notches in the photo is reverse threaded onto the post to keep the lever arm down.