Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

how to dispose of old cameras?

If this is not the proper place for this posting, please move or delete.

Hello all;

I recently acquired my Dad's collection of film cameras. There's about 15 35mm SLR (Nikon, Pentax), 6 medium format (Mamiya, Rollei), an 8 mm movie (Bolex) plus lenses, lights, brackets, etc. I'd like to dispose of these items to those that will appreciate and use them.

What are the best options to sell/donate used film camera equipment? I really don't want the hassle of E-bay, and Craig's list seems too limited. What are the most active forums?

I've posted this message here and on several other forums.

Thank you for any and all reasonable suggestions.

03-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can sell all your gear here on our marketplace- all it takes is an $10 donation to gain access! Our marketplace is one of the busiest sections of the site- things that I've sold there always disappeared in days

If you'd like to donate the gear, we can arrange for that as well- PM me if you'd like to go down that route.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
You can always send them to me!

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling them, there is always Goodwill and get a tax deductible receipt. Seriously, though, there are probably several folks, myself included, who would be happy to take them off your hands.

Good Luck.
03-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Pentax items you could probably sell very effectively here on the forum. Possibly the Nikon items, too. I'm very surprised that Pentax prices have held up the way they have; it seemed that when I sold all my (screw mount) SMC Takumars, prices had been battered by the (then somewhat recent) introduction of the K-mount. For some reason, in the early days of the K-mount, it seemed less desirable to make use of screw mount lenses than many people (especially here on the forum) feel it is today.

I'm guessing 8mm movie equipment is going to have a very, very limited market.

Paul

03-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Id be interested in 1 of the medium format cameras if you were donating
03-04-2011, 08:03 PM   #6

I would agree that the marketplace here is a wonderful place to sell your items. I'd spend a little bit of time researching by looking at recently ended ebay listings for similar items to get an idea of prices.
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
You can always send them to me!

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling them, there is always Goodwill and get a tax deductible receipt. Seriously, though, there are probably several folks, myself included, who would be happy to take them off your hands.

Good Luck.
...or me! Seriously!
I'm actually looking for Pentax film cameras now..
03-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums by the way..

03-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens and body review section here list past transaction prices for quite a bit of Pentax equipment, and there are enough knowledgeable people around that you should be able to get help with approximate pricing for gear that isn't listed. In large urban areas craigslist can work pretty well, but it really depends on the local market.
03-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you simply want them out of the house quick, donate them to Goodwill. They have an auction website where enthusiasts will find and buy them with the money raised benefits the poor.

If you want them to go to camera lovers, list the stuff on the Marketplace here at PentaxForums. It will be more work: taking pics of the items, writing descriptions, etc, but you may find that a few of your things are worth some decent money and that will make it worth while.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-05-2011 at 12:36 AM.
03-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would donate them to your local junior college's photography department. Many young students going that route are really penny pinching and any SLR cameras they can get are always very welcome.
03-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomw2011 Quote
I really don't want the hassle of E-bay
Before writing off Ebay, check the completed listings to see what similar kit is selling for. It's possible the price will change your mind.

Unless you actually take them somewhere and hand them over you will have the hassle of packing and despatching them however you dispose of them, and to my mind that's the hassle bit of Ebay - I quite enjoy taking the photos!
03-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd be interested in a medium format camera as well.
03-05-2011, 08:45 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tomw2011 Quote
If this is not the proper place for this posting, please move or delete.

Hello all;

I recently acquired my Dad's collection of film cameras. There's about 15 35mm SLR (Nikon, Pentax), 6 medium format (Mamiya, Rollei), an 8 mm movie (Bolex) plus lenses, lights, brackets, etc. I'd like to dispose of these items to those that will appreciate and use them.

What are the best options to sell/donate used film camera equipment? I really don't want the hassle of E-bay, and Craig's list seems too limited. What are the most active forums?

I've posted this message here and on several other forums.

Thank you for any and all reasonable suggestions.
I also would be interested in buying a medium format preferably Rollei.Thanks
03-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #15

Original Poster
thanks!!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looks like I need to get going and get things listed in the market place.
TomW