Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
MZ seriies - mirror lock - what to buy?

Hello MZ owners, I had a MZ-50 and it died with the well known and very unfamous mirror-lock problem as it has happened to many other MZ cameras.

Is there any model from the MZ line which is not affected by this deffect? I don't wanna have this annoying experience again so I would buy MZ-anything only if it is spared from this bad spell

And BTW do the rest of the MZ models have good bright viewfinders? Because my dead MZ-50 was giving me some hard time focusing with the manual lsenses - it had the AF confirmation which significantly helps reduce the issue, but still...

And finally - can someone try to come up and name the most reliable SLR Pentax AF model? I want to have it and love it as oposed to buy it and throw it every year (ot month az the MZ-50)

03-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My MZ-7 died of this too, so it wouldn't make it to the list.
03-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The MZ-S doesn't suffer from this ailment but I tell you now that this camera is worth a lot of bucks, at times more than your regular digital SLR!
As far as I know it is the only MZ-S that doesn't have this problem.

Last edited by GerryL; 03-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.
03-05-2011, 09:35 AM   #4
mlb
Forum Member

I'm not an absolute authority on this, but I think all the MZ/ZX cameras have the potential of the plastic gear on the mirror motor breaking except for the MZ-S. If someone knows differently, please correct me.

However, if you get the mirror motor replaced, the new one should have a metal gear and then the problem is unlikely to occur again. It is an expensive fix, though.

I just had my ZX-5 (MZ-5) repaired, fixing the mirror motor, the popup flash spring, and a CLA. It cost $140. I don't think I could sell it for that. I'm the original owner of this camera, it is in great shape otherwise, and I really like the control layout on the ZX-5, it's size and shape, etc, so I'm happy it's working again. It should last me a good while now.

I haven't gone digital yet, although I'm thinking about it.

03-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Prior to the introduction of the MZ-S the Pentax Z-1P/PZ-1P was the top-of the-line Pentax AF SLR.
FWIW many Pentax DSLR users find this model a very natural fit due to similarity in control layout.
It is a very capable camera, solidly built and reliable. Clean used bodies now sell at bargain prices.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-10-2011 at 03:02 PM.
03-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All MZ-6 made after 2002 have mirror motor with brass gear installed in the factory. If you are buying a used camera, this can only be confirmed by removing the bottom cover and look through the small opening to see if the motor gear is black plastics or brass. My MZ-7 (made in June 2002) has failed plastic gear.

Last edited by violini; 03-06-2011 at 08:35 AM.
03-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
All MZ-6 made after 2002 have mirror motor with brass gear installed in the factory. If you are buying a used camera, this can only be confirmed by removing the bottom cover and look through the small opening to see if the motor gear is black plastics or brass. My MZ-7 (made in June 2002) has failed plastic gear.
Are the ZX-L's made after 2002 the same?
03-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
While waiting for an Z-1/MZ-S oportunity to present itself I don't want to stay unarmed

S F 7

That's my film camera now and I like it! Not sure how well my photos will come out and if it will be thrustworthy unlike the MZ-50 was but I already dream about having found a new friend

PS SF7 looks much more solid in comparaison to the MZ-50, but it would appear too big in women hands I guess. But wouldn't you agree this is why women hands are so wanderful

Thanks all for the info and the moral support when I was down with my MZ.