Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
On one trip with my LX/MX combo, the MX meter failed. It became a B&W body.
With Tri-X or, even better, XP1, meter failure just made the body inconvenient.
Still, I would not want that as my only body on the trip of a lifetime.
On the trip of a lifetime, I would be inclined to some how take all 6 bodies, 3 film, 3 digital, all 33 of my lenses, all 3 flashes, both tripods etc...... AND a pack mule to carry it

As for Tri-X, in later years my KX became the TriX champ, usually setting the ISO to 3200, and shooting almost exclusively at 1/30 and F1.4 on my K50/1.4

Pushed processing from 5 minutes to 25 minutes or something like that in D76 developer. Got a ton of great candids because NO ONE thought you could ever take a picture in that light.

03-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
On the trip of a lifetime, I would be inclined to some how take all 6 bodies, 3 film, 3 digital, all 33 of my lenses, all 3 flashes, both tripods etc...... AND a pack mule to carry it

As for Tri-X, in later years my KX became the TriX champ, usually setting the ISO to 3200, and shooting almost exclusively at 1/30 and F1.4 on my K50/1.4

Pushed processing from 5 minutes to 25 minutes or something like that in D76 developer. Got a ton of great candids because NO ONE thought you could ever take a picture in that light.
I think you will need two mules. My kit is similar to yours--a few more bodies/flashes and a few less lenses--I don't know that even a trip of a lifetime would work for it. I tried to take everything to a shoot about 70 miles away and filled up the back of a pickup.
03-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I think you will need two mules. My kit is similar to yours--a few more bodies/flashes and a few less lenses--I don't know that even a trip of a lifetime would work for it. I tried to take everything to a shoot about 70 miles away and filled up the back of a pickup.
Actually for a trip of a lifetime right now, I would probably buy a K5 and upgrade my old 10-20 with the new faster one and get perhaps the 16-50. If the trip included wildlife I would get a sigma 500/4.5

When you add in my Tammy 28-75 and sigma 70-200/2.8 and one flash and tripod that would do it

I have only taken my whole kit once and it took half the cargo space in my 4-runner
03-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Problems like this sure make the question of "why go digital?" easier. Of course it's hard to part with great gear you know works well and gets you the results you want.... but the drawbacks are continuing to pile up against film... with Fuji and a few others cutting back on Film production I think costs will start to increase with it as well. In my hometown here, we do not even have a place to get film developed anymore, it gets sent out of town. The owner of the shop has the machine and chemicals, its just not worth it here for the one customer a month or so wanting film developed to drop $400 in chemicals into the machine and process $7 of pics.

As for your dilemma, I would look at what Lowell said and picking up a K5 a nice wide angle, and 2 good zooms to cover all your range, the Tamron 28-75mm Macro and the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Macro maybe even a 1.4x TC for extra range when you want it.

03-14-2011, 05:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Actually for a trip of a lifetime right now, I would probably buy a K5 and upgrade my old 10-20 with the new faster one and get perhaps the 16-50. If the trip included wildlife I would get a sigma 500/4.5

When you add in my Tammy 28-75 and sigma 70-200/2.8 and one flash and tripod that would do it

I have only taken my whole kit once and it took half the cargo space in my 4-runner
No doubling up on the bodies?
03-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

No doubling up on the bodies?
Of course , my K7 as well

I can see going with 4 good zooms and one really long lens, the long being wild life only. If it were a long stay, I.e. months, I would take more in a shippable Pellican case packed in foam, and take most of it, but I could get by with what would comfortably pack into my biggest backpack, and what I outlined here would
03-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Last I looked this is the Pentax Film SLR Discussion forum.
The OP is a film user and has stated that a digital camera is not a possible option.

Yet it seems some here feel the need to sell the OP on the "advantages" of digital.
If I did the same in favor of film in a digital forum I might justifiably be accused of trolling.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
03-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Last I looked this is the Pentax Film SLR Discussion forum.
The OP is a film user and has stated that a digital camera is not a possible option.

Yet it seems some here feel the need to sell the OP on the "advantages" of digital.
If I did the same in favor of film in a digital forum I might justifiably be accused of trolling.

Chris
No trolling, sorry

In my last post please replace my K10d with my PZ-1

But, as for the OP, the thread has mutated a little, as all threads do. It started as suggesting a second body to risking it all on film to my comment that for a trip of a lifetime, what I would actually take.